Do we choose to be born?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (32 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Marie-AnneLeClercposted 12 years ago

What if you didn't wish to be born, could there be a way in going back? Shouldn't you be able to choose? If I had the choice I would Not of chosen this life on Earth as there is so much 'injustice', war & not peace etc;

1. Alouroua profile image60
      Alourouaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

" If I had the choice I would Not of chosen this life on Earth as there is so much 'injustice', war & not peace etc;"

But you would have made the choice to be born from a very different perspective. (Assuming we exist in a spiritual state before and after death.) Your understanding of things would be very different, so perhaps your opinion would be too?

2. vox vocis profile image82
      vox vocisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't remember making a choice to be born. Actually, it took me a long time to realize that I'm alive after I was born LOL

3. KeithTax profile image72
      KeithTaxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As to your questions:

Can you go back? Yes

How? Suicide.

Did you have a choice? Yes

Why did you choose to be born in the first place? The really cool lights seemed inviting at the time.

lol

4. LeslieAdrienne profile image71
      LeslieAdrienneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What?!

2. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

I think some people have such terrible lives, that it would make little sense that they should have chosen them.  Trying to imagine not existing though is literally unimaginable.  Yet for 13.7 billion years since our universe began, and for the eternity before it began, I did not exist.  To have come out of this eternity of nothingness into the light, and to be here for only the blink of an eye, before returning to another eternity of nothing, and for this brief time we have to be full of such misery, seems pretty pointless.

So yes, maybe it would have been better not to have been born at all.  As it says in the Bible, the dead are better off than the living, because the living know that they shall die, but the dead know of nothing at all.  Better than both of these is he which has not been born yet. I have to agree with the Bible.

1. profile image0
      Marie-AnneLeClercposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure where these statistics stem from, though none of the less we seem to agree with some things, but I don't believe that we will return to nothingness and that means no other birth or existence. Though buddhism does refer to 'nothingness.' Though it refers to the whole of existence- meaning that Life is Universal and when there is no ego the spirit is pure and travels through the state of eternity.   So in Buddhism terms this is the state of non-ego-ness and a pure state back to the Creator the "Is" the Universal Creation...

3. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

I feel kinda like we do choose to enter into this physical life.  Kinda like going to an amusement park.  Some of us ride the rides and some of us operate them; and some o us keep the restrooms clean, etc.
      Life don't allways seem fair.  Unless ..  we do it again and trade places.

1. profile image0

So kinda like a 'Recyling job' - you mean sort of thing? So like we are all on a 'merry go round' - to test our stengths & weaknesses but for whom? Why Is this So?

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No not really.  I think we would have a choice to do it or not.   But when we decide to play the game, we know we don't always get to sit in the princess' chair.

1. profile image0

Well how lovely! When & how do you get to sit in that fat 'princess' chair? Is it based on luck, chance or as what some say good 'karma?' Again who is pulling the strings? Can we not have our own way? Are we not being controlled to begin with?

Whatever controll is being used is kinda like when we run into the amusement park, and who sits in the front car on the rollercoaster.

But in the real world, some people are born into privilage, and some are not.

I like to think that in another life ???  I'm tall, dark and hansome, and my MaMa don't dress me funny.

4. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

You are asking a question; with absolutely no knowledge of anything other than this physical world.  You don’t have enough information to say ‘Gee, I wish I had never been born.’

If we have a choice, then it is obvious that there are valid reasons why we would want to go through this life. Since, if there is a choice, there are a large number of people who have apparently made the decision to be here.

I prefer to think that we don’t have a choice, but existence within this reality is an important part of the journey our consciousness must make in order to grow.

1. profile image0

I have read information about the afterlife, & some of those people are much happier than what they were when they were here- 'so called- physically' before they died. So yes I do question if we could choose to be here or not why not? You say that a large amount of people apparently made this choice? Did they really know what they were in for? If indeed it is for our consciousness to grow but why start to begin with? What is the point? This is my point.  Why did God create this strange & complicated scenario?

1. calpol25 profile image59
        calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe we are put down here to learn sort of like an education maybe.
        Maybe its a sort of simulator if you like, you know how when people play computer games and play people in different worlds maybe thats what this is... Who knows . smile

1. profile image0

Yeah this rings truth, though I wish it wasn't so harsh towards peoples sexuality etc; That seems to be a hard game to play, or though I wouldn't call it a game at all. Though again what is the logic in all of this 'mixed' up world that is controlled by religion if not what else?

1. calpol25 profile image59
            calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The thing is with religion, people believe what they want to believe and I honestly dont think that a god could persecute some one for gender,skin colour, orientation etc - I honestly believe that only another human can do that as they do not understand so they would rather attack and use hate to avoid admitting they dont understand. smile

1. profile image0

Absolutely friend. 100% smile

2. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

First, I don't think your birth is a beginning,  I think it is simply a temporary separation. Second, we may be talking apples and oranges. I don't know that I define God as anything more than a larger part of the whole.

I can accept 'information' on the afterlife as nothing more than speculation. A curiosity, but unprovable. And I also said if we have a choice people must have wanted to be here. I don't know that we have one.

1. profile image0

Then your guess is as good as mine peeping cat! We don't know the answers simply as that!  What I do know is that God is the whole, this 'Is' and we were born for some reason or other, I don't know whether we had a choice in the matter... Seems some peoples lives are great and others have terrible tragic lives...

1. profile image0
            Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes. The inequities in this existence are troubling. I would think, if there is a purpose, it would be to address these; as best we can.

1. profile image0

Yes for once we do agree - 'little peeping cat!'...

5. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

Marie-AnneLeClerc ...This is my point.  Why did God create this strange & complicated scenario?

=====

Just a point to continplate..  Eternity might get boring. 
    Why not try something new.  See what we can do. 

When we get here, we find ourselves in whatever situation that we find ourselves in.  See what we can do.  Enjoy ourselves as much as we can without ruining anyone else’s fun. 
      That is the rules.

Edit    by  I gotta go to Home Depot

1. profile image0

You don't ruin anyone elses fun when you have been dished out a horrific life that is violent, cruel or even put to death. I do not see any logic in this...
      To question is to reason without reason there is no intelligence? Your point is too 'fundamental' this is what happens in real life...

As you say,  my point was fundimental,

That is where things start, with fundimentals.
          And then someone breaks the rule, takes somebodys "FUN" away.
        That person then breaks the rule and takes someone else's

We take our sadness and pass it on, multipling this by ten.
        then we got ten other people doing it, then 111 people doing it and on it goes,    and again and again ...

Is that logical?

1. profile image0

...sounds logical, though only God knows the truth of it all....

6. profile image0

When we consider how amazingly unlikely is our birth, from even a genetic perspective, I suppose we should be grateful that we are here.  The billions of genetic combinations that make each person who they are, make every single one of the almost 7 billion people on this planet unique.  If only one of the genes which make us who we are were different, we would not be exactly the person we are. 

Also, when we consider how many millions of our ancestors needed to meet in order for us to be here.  Only the other night, I worked out that if the 1929 Wall Street Crash had not happened, I would not be sitting here typing on my laptop now.  Because my grandfather, who was from Scotland, had been reduced to a three-day working week in the '30s because of the depression.  His brother, who had moved to Birmingham to look for work, suggested my grandfather come to Birmingham, because there was plenty of work at his factory.  My grandfather therefore came to Birmingham in 1935.  If he had not done so, he would never had met my grandmother, therefore my father wouldn't have been born, therefore he wouldn't have met my mother, and I wouldn't be here.  I can thereofore thank the seemingly unconnected historic event of the 1929 Wall Street Crash for my birth.  This is just one example of the odds against my birth.  And everyone, if they stop and think will have a similar tale to tell.  Maybe it is therefore ungrateful to complain about our lives.  Especially, when I watch the news and see babies dying of starvation in Africa.  How easily, I might have been one of those.

7. Emveme7 profile image59
    Emveme7posted 12 years ago

We do choose the parents and life we are to live, you do not remember this because all the informtion you absorb from the time you are born shoves it deep inside and your not suppose to remember anyway. The life you choose comes from the life lesson you need to experience, if you keep repeating a mistake (i.e. always getting in over you jead beccause you are afraid to say no; a simple example) it is a lesson you need to get past and learn from it. No one life can learn all there is about life and challenges one time around. So you did make this choice, maybe the lesson here is the reallization that any life isn't simple. Bad things happen no matter where you are.

8. Emveme7 profile image59

Ooops, and you can go back but it takes an awful lot of misery to do so. Some believe a new born child's Soul can decide to go back until they are about 2 years old. It is the innocence of the life that enables it to do so.

9. Emveme7 profile image59

Ooops, and you can go back but it takes an awful lot of misery to do so. Some believe a new born child's Soul can decide to go back until they are about 2 years old. It is the innocence of the life that enables it to do so.

10. profile image0

I can understand why people come up with myths in order to deny their mortality, but not why they come up with them to deny the fact that they had no existence before this life.

1. profile image0

I don't agree with this there is documented proof from medical Dr's that testify to proven cases of the afterlife through Nde's - Near death experiences. I also strongly believe that there is a Creator and this is where we come from and where we will return.  I have also studied the different religions & philosophies over time, have met many influential people & have conversed in length and depth. I have had 'many'  spiritual experiences starting from childhood and I don't ever doubt for a second that there is no
      God/Creator.

...Thanks all for your valid opinions and contribution.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)