why do you believe in God?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (108 posts)
  1. princess g profile image60
    princess gposted 12 years ago

when there's really no evidence of his existence?

or am I missing something?

1. kess profile image61
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The single most convincing evidence of God and creator , is actually the most commonly available to all in the simplest of understanding.

It is the"I am"  ...

When One or any departs from the simplicity of this understanding he will inevitably create a god by which he is able of his ownself to provide all neccessary evidence in order to prove its existence.
      Nevertheless all these created gods are ultimately one ,
      and because his becoming is only when one has departed from Truth....so he must be  the False god...or as some describe him as... God is not.

2. Extinct Soul profile image60
      Extinct Soulposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"We all needed something to cling to, so we did."
      - "Forgiven", Alanis Morissette

3. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

enlighten me please, why do you need to know or is this just a fun game of risk?    Surely you can come up with a satisfying answer all on your own, yes?  roll

4. Ramzeed profile image60
      Ramzeedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe in GOD because to me everything living is evidence that there is a GOD. Do you believe in history?

5. LeslieAdrienne profile image70
      LeslieAdrienneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm just simple.... I believe because I do.

6. lizzieBoo profile image60
      lizzieBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

hmmm...let me think...I believe cos I'm stupid, small-minded, brainwashed, uneducated and afraid of my own shadow. That's the reply you're looking for innit?

7. profile image57
      Mohammad Wasimposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why do you believe in God .
      As far my knowledge is concern. This question was invented and panitrate through religion.
      Before the religion, such a question did not exist. The beginning history of  human being. There was no concept of God.
      Slowly, human being going to be educated, to be cleaver and from them few
      cunning individuals declared as a massanger of God and at last they became with the designation of prophets of human being.
      They started to say, On the sky God live and he send a special so called angel to me and said this and that.This is the book of God and another came and said this is new one book of God. In this way the word God came into existence.
      Now, different kind of human being , different kind of religions, different kind of hate, killing and war in the name of God. Interesting, is it not.
      Now, we are asking, why we believe in God ?
      Very simple answer, It is our own creation. It is a big source of business. People are very much manipulated and panitrated immediate the mystical stories after the birth . People grow up according to different faith and declare war and hate against each other.
      No, way. we have to follow the society and putting this question always.
      In this modern world, I am going to try to be a new massenger of God.   Why not. I need followers, when is enough. I claim myself as a prophet . It will be the new chapter of new religion. Love is my massage.
      Actually the creator does want or expecting any thing from us. We make the world crazy in the name of God.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
    A Troubled Manposted 12 years ago

It's all about having faith in things not seen. No evidence is needed for that.

princess gposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But what makes a person want to make that decision?

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
        A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They were born into that decision and grew up with it.

1. OutWest profile image58
          OutWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Some were born and raised atheist. Some people do receive evidence and personal proof of His existence from Him.  It's called a spiritual awakening. And it's not a decision just on faith.

You and I both know that isn't true, why would you say it?

1. OutWest profile image58
              OutWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe only I know it's true.  But I know I'm not the only one.  As for you I don't know or care what you believe.

2. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Conscience.  From the Holy Spirit.

3. LeslieAdrienne profile image70

Princessg,

If you ever hear the Gospel, you will know why we are compelled to believe... and, you will know that there is something to this belief thing.

2. princess g profile image60

People make decisions on thier own. They aren't "born into it". what you're thinking if is indoctrination, which is a whole different ball game, troubled man

Why is that a different ball game?

Because making decisions is something you are in full control over. Indoctrination is something that happens to you. Like being brainwashed, you don't notice it's happening.

3. dotzbegins1 profile image57
      dotzbegins1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I disagree with you !!  We cannot say like that

Beautifully reasoned response.

Yes, we can because that's what's in the Bible.

3. Peter Owen profile image60
    Peter Owenposted 12 years ago

For many, it is the only way to exlain why we are here and why matter exists.

why does it even have to be explained? why can't it remain a mystery?

1. Peter Owen profile image60
        Peter Owenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Isn't that a basic human trait - to search for answers to the unknown?

Maybe not

4. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

Pascal's wager. 

Plus, it makes me feel superior to non-believers and people who believe even slightly different things than I do.  I can trash these heretics whenever I want knowing that I am only doing God's will.

Thy will be done.

Best answer so far

5. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

Man is a reasoning, questioning animal, so it is only natural that he should need the answers.  God is necessary to most humans, because of our sense of self, and the importance we place on the ego.  Man cannot comprehend his own mortality, because to the brain, there is only the present, so trying to imagine a time when the present no longer exists seems unreasonable.  It therefore creates the idea of an afterlife as a means of escaping death.  Rationally, with everything science knows about the mind, there can be no possibility of such an afterlife.  God and the supernatural explanation is therefore necessary.  When one has God, it is possible to overcome logic, reason and evidence, and the resort to the God hypothesis, where all that is required of the believer is to say 'God done it' seems entirely reasonable and self-evident.  When man is faced with fear, believing in the divine and of a purpose for our individual lives proves an excellent sedative.

Not that the believer is aware that this is what he is doing.  When asked why they believe, the religious will often say that they have experienced Allah, Jesus, Zeus or Wotan in very real ways.  At the end of the day though, if belief offers some comfort, even if it is based only on the ego's need for validation, then it may be said to be a positive thing.

It remains positive only if believers can refrain from pushing thier beliefs on other people

2. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sherlock, I always love to read your responses. I will point out one spot where you may have overstepped our current understanding. Science is still grappling with the question of what consciousness is. Until we completely understand what we still consider an unexplained phenomenon, we can't rule everything out.

I, personally, think the ideas as presented by religion are far fetched and impossible; however, some continuation of our consciousness in some form has not been ruled out entirely. Whether that continuation is evidence of some form of intelligence we might be connected to or not, is still fair grounds for speculation. Imo.

6. Alouroua profile image59
    Alourouaposted 12 years ago

For me it's more of an instinct, rather than an indoctrination. I don't follow any religions yet I still feel compelled to believe that a god exists. Given the pathetic shortsightedness of the human reference level, this question can be applied to most anything with similar impact. People too often make light of how little we actually understand to begin with. Why do you think the rational intelligibility of the universe is merely coincidence? Why do you think anything exists rather than nothing?

I like to think all creation that results in inherit intelligibility is the result of intent. Is that so unusual?
    Often I see the escape from death sited as a reason for believing in God. The way I see it, being afraid of death is entirely irrational, afterlife or no. When I sleep, i'm often not aware of my existence for the time being but I don't lament. We all know what the lack of consciousness feels like. Why would death treat us any worse?

Why do you think anything exists rather than nothing?

Good question. It makes no sense that anything should exist at all. Yet things SEEM to exist

7. Darkhannah profile image58
    Darkhannahposted 12 years ago

i dont! i guess its just an amargenery mate for grown ups!

8. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 12 years ago

its hard for me to look at all the intricacies in nature, all the beauty and fine tuning of every living thing and NOT believe in Him.  It is more difficult for me to believe that all this was created by some cells banging together over and over again.  But its also a question of faith.  the kicker is that even people who don't believe in a creator, have to have faith to some extent in what they believe, because they don't possess evidence of their theory's either.  (and you don't have to be born to this belief as 'a troubled Man' said.  The most cynical people I know were the ones raised in religious homes)   just sayin...

I completely agree. It DOES take faith to believe in a scientific explanation, just like it takes faith to believe in God. Either way is immpossible to prove.

LOL! Yes, it would take faith to believe in a scientific explanation, that is, if you didn't understand the explanation.

1. megs78 profile image60
          megs78posted 12 years agoin reply to this

i would like to understand the explanation, could you explain it for me?

Wasn't the "cells banging together over and over again" not sufficient explanation? lol

that is a theory...not an explanation

What theory is that, I've never heard of it?

well, I'm done, my brain can only handle so much manipulation wink

Asking questions is manipulation? lol

2. profile image0

I'm with megs 78. Please do explain, in scientific terms, the theory of everything. We're all agog because, frankly, you're claiming to know something science hasn't claimed to figure out yet. Last I heard. smile

Who said anything about a theory of everything?

*hint*

You did. lol

1. profile image0

Isn't that what the theory of God is? The answer to how the universe was formed? What it came from? Don't side step ATM, I'm very interested in hearing this ultimate knowledge you've attained. As are others, I'm sure. smile

Why don't you tell me? There are many gods with many creation stories. Which one will you be telling?

hmmm...sidestepping...can only mean one thing:  no clue!

Then, you have no reason to continue believing in whichever creation story you wish to believe, if fairy tales are what you wish to believe.

If you've actually looked at scientific theories and understand them, no amount of explanation is going to change your beliefs in those fairy tales.

2. profile image0

Those are fables, which do serve a purpose if you look at them in context. But, your info sounds so much more pertinent. Please? When will you begin the narrative?

What narrative? I have no idea what you're talking about, again?

I understand the religious explanation, I simply don't believe it or accept it.

9. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 12 years ago

I believe because it is the only logical conclusion to the question - which came first the chicken or the egg?  I know the chicken came first because all living things were created by god smile

god didn't create chicken eggs?

10. A.S.K.Preacher profile image60
    A.S.K.Preacherposted 12 years ago

Yes you are missing something. If you dare to seek the truth; I urge you to read just 4 chapters in the book of Job. Chapters 38-41. The book of  Job has been dated to belong somewhere in the book of Genesis. It is one of the oldest books.
    Please do not take my word for it. Research it for yourself. Knowing this pay special attention to the science that is in these chapters of Job. When you have read them, then look up in our modern science books and see when these things were actually discovered.
    Something specific is Job 38:31. Discover what the "sweet influences of Pleiades" or the "bands of Orion" mean. These are scientific facts that the period peoples did not know about.

That's astrology, not science

2. melpor profile image91
      melporposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A.S.K. Preacher, Pleiades and Orion were mentioned in Greek mythology long before the Bible was written on paper. The story of the seven sisters and the hunter was passed down through generations in Greece around the same time ancient writers were putting the books of the Bible together. Somewhere along the way one of the writers got this information while he was writing the book of Job. Furthermore, the constellations were named by ancient Greeks before the Bible was written.

11. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

I don't, but I also have in the past, so I am aware of just how entrenched religion is in society.
    Anyone who wants to know more can. People don't want to know is the real truth.
    There is plenty of information out there that is both scientific and peer reviewed, but it is ignored and seldom commented on. smile

edit. fixed broken link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFMmzKDonRY

Earnest...I am surprised at you.   Religion and believing in God is NOT the same thing...

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Care to explain that one? smile

there is a huge difference between the religious and the spiritual.   I was raised in a religious church (baptist) and the church was judgmental, unforgiving, backstabbing and hypocritical.    after following catechism and taking the required lessons to be able to baptize into the religion, I refused.  I was only 12, but I knew that this was not what was intended for us.  but I knew there was a God and though I questioned Him, like everyone else in this world, there was no way I could deny His existence in my life.  But, I live my life like most of you. I am a nice person, I donate, I try to be good.  I don't push my beliefs on others, but i contribute to THAT conversation when asked.  there are a whole bunch of us out there who are nice people who hold the 'sky fairy' belief, but we are not crazy zealots trying to convert the world to the one and only religion...much like the witch hunters of England did wink  I don't know how to explain more than that Earnest, and I know that you will continue to believe what you believe...and thats ok with me.  You are a nice guy and I respect the way you see things.  I just wanted to speak up for those of us who are normal people, because so often, the ultra religious are the only ones blabbing and that gives the rest of us a bad name.

2. profile image0
          kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol

2. earnestshub profile image80

Well  Megs, we will need to agree to disagree on that one.

I read your reply, and thank you for the courtesy.

I believe as I do because I see no connection to a god without a religious outlook to contain it. There have been thousands of gods.

I have no problem agreeing to disagree Earnest, thats what makes life interesting smile  at some other point in our lives, maybe we will have more to share and we can keep the conversation going???  talk soon sir wink

3. A Troubled Man profile image59

Even though that's exactly how a religion is defined, belief in a god?

For some strange reason, Christians cannot stand having their religion labeled a religion, even though that's exactly what it is.

lol

hey, i don't attend a church, I don't engage in rituals, I don't partake of communion, I don't sing worship songs and wave my hands in the air...the things that are common to religion (catholic, baptist, united, whatever...)

but i do pray and I do believe in God.  But it is not a religion.  It is spiritual.  I imagine ghost hunters and mediums call themselves spiritual and believe in the supernatural, but they don't call themselves religious do they?  so whats the difference here?

Those are rituals of particular religions but they ultimately do not define religion.

Then, you have religion.

The supernatural is highly speculative to say the least, especially considering there is nothing to hear or see, so it can't just be about gods, it can be about anything anyone can conjure or contrive.

I'll wager you can't even define spiritual.

you are difficult ATM and too black and white.  I am definitely finished parlaying with you.

I apologize if I made you think. It won't happen again.

12. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

There is nothing wrong with an individual deciding that they need some sort of supernatural explanation in their life.  The problems arise, because in order to convince themselves that their God is real, believers do all they can to convince others that it is real.  If those others choose not to accept their God, then judgement quickly follows from the religious believer.  This judgement can then lead to violence or acts of terrorism, or the murder of abortion doctors, or the attacks against gay people, or even war.  If the believer could just spend their time trying to convince themselves of the reality of their god, without the need to force others to believe it, the world would be a much more peaceful place to live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki12zyW2 … re=related

13. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago
  14. davidmoral profile image60
    davidmoralposted 12 years ago

It is written that "God has revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all thinngs, yea the deep things of God
    For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. Now we "Christians" have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

Which thingsl also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

But the natural man "meaning unbeleivers" receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

I write this because inorder for any man or woman to know or understand why God exist is simply to be born again, by accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour after you do this then you will know who God the Father trully is "that your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. Amen.

So you're saying you believe in God because the Bible tells you to?

1. davidmoral profile image60
        davidmoralposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm saying that without the Holy Spirit leading and teaching you everything is of human self understanding of who God is not spiritual the carnal mind cannot submit to the will of God niether will it do so. You would have to want change inorder to accept it.

1. davidmoral profile image60
          davidmoralposted 12 years agoin reply to this

" human self understanding not of God it is not spiritual"

2. LeslieAdrienne profile image70

Prrincessg

It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that... Jesus loves me, this I know, 'cause the Bible tells me so.....

15. dotzbegins1 profile image57
    dotzbegins1posted 12 years ago

I believe in god because I BELIEVE IN GOD !

k, thx

16. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

Kess made a good point. Reminds me of what Rene Descartes said: "I think, therefore I am." He also said, "Dieu en moi" (God in me).

We are each pieces of God (God's children). When we wake up, even if only for a moment, we feel that godliness. Ego (the source of selfishness) wants to take credit for all of that, but that only adds to our confusion. Ego isn't worth squat. In fact, I estimate that ego is the source of all evil.

No evidence? Just look around you. All of creation is evidence. I don't buy the "too complex to have been an accident," hypothesis of the Young Earth Creationists. The laws of nature lend themselves to the universal beauty. The better question is, what put those natural laws into place?

Stephen Hawking recently said that gravity and the laws of nature would create the universe on their own. Fat chance, that. Hawking was talking out of his behind. What put gravity there? What put the natural laws there? In fact, what put space-time there? The source of these things cannot have been made of these things. A Homo sapiens can no more create a universe than can a rock. And gravity cannot either. Once gravity, space-time and natural laws are created, then a universe will happen, yes. Hawking merely did not think the problem through entirely.

I've been outside my physical body with full visual ability to see colors and details (no Homo sapiens eyeballs). I've also created what some might call "miracles" -- things that would seem to be impossible by natural law (like walking on water or parting the sea). Each of these prove that I am not a Homo sapiens body, but a child of God -- a non-physical, spiritual and immortal source of creation. Immortal? Some people cannot remember their past for more than a few decades. Pity. There are so many lessons that we've learned and forgotten.

1. earnestshub profile image80

Yes, Hawking is an idiot and you are a genius.
      Not very likely is it? smile

2. A Troubled Man profile image59

It would appear that is it YOU who has not thought the problem through entirely.

If we look around as you say, there is no evidence to suggest Gods of any kind. There is only nature and the evidence of evolution and the natural laws, as you say.

The limited mind of a child would certainly ask the question, "Who put them there?" as that would be the obvious elementary and naive question to ask from someone who has yet to learn anything.

That too is just childish silly talk. You can't expect anyone to take you seriously when you say things like that.

1. LeslieAdrienne profile image70

Troubled,

I really don't believe that you are as hard on this issue as you seem to be. Unlike some others who are totally convinced of their atheism, you yet seem to be unsettled, uncertain.

We hear you talking, but there is something about your tone....hmmm
        I personally think you are  still searching for answers. big_smile  Jesus loves you

Could be the reason why I'm asking questions. smile

1. LeslieAdrienne profile image70

You know, one big issue in Christianity is understanding the difference between the spirit, the soul and the body... I plan a hub about this, but who knows when I will be done...

Understanding these differences help us understand the language in the New Testament... If you are interested in some insight in this area Andrew Wommack has an excellent teaching ... it is just plain teaching. I think you might like it. Here is the link:
                                    http://www.awmi.net/extra/audio/1027

Look forward to that, no one else has managed that feat. Good luck.

Thanks.

17. Troy C. profile image60
    Troy C.posted 12 years ago

I believe in God because he has called me to be one of his own, and I have answered his call. It is a fath and a knowledge deep within oneself. It is something that cannot be easily explained to a non believer they have to experiece and  except it for themselves. Gods love to you all.

18. Whidbeywriter profile image81
    Whidbeywriterposted 12 years ago

I believe in God because he is in everything around us, creation, the beauty in nature and man himself who was created in his image. He is that sweet small voice that I hear when I need encouragement, hope and peace in my life. He supplies all of our needs, everything comes from him. The bible tells us these things and history has proven these things. I hope that when you pick up the bible to read - you may hear from him and believe - because he is alive, real and a part of everything.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)