jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Early fetal gender detection: pro-life or pro-abortion?

1. giopski profile image59
    giopskiposted 6 years ago

I have posted this question in the QUESTION section of the blogsite, but I think it's better posted here for discussion.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 6 years ago

I think the answer to that question would depend on where you live. In western societies, it wouldn't make  a difference. We've evolved in our thinking so either sex would be celebrated and we are free to have whatever number of children we choose to. Early detection just lets us paint the nursery sooner.

Other countries, where  only a certain number of children are allowed; or where women are seen as of lesser value and families have to pay dowries simply to wash their hands of a burden? I think the answer is obvious.

giopskiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

This is a lovely thought Emile.  Some conservative thinkers would treat this as a PRO-LIFE finding since it gives more weight to recognizing the moment of conception right from the moment of fertility.  The closer it gets to that point, the better as to our understanding of where LIFE truly begins.  The fetus should not therefore be treated as a "piece of meat" but rather a LIVING HUMAN BEING from thereon.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You're right. Leave it to the religious right to attempt to turn what sounds like a handy test into an opportunity to attempt to push their views down the throats of women.

Do you think they'll ever back off and allow women some breathing space to make choices for their own lives and bodies?

Well, I believe it's non-negotiable when it comes to the religious sectors.  The issue may primarily fall on women but the point being is that it's considered intrinsically evil to kill the life of the unborn from the moment of conception.  We're not talking here simply of women but the couple as a whole who should make a better option than simply putting an end to life.

1. profile image0
            Emile Rposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well, that would certainly be up to the woman, who's body is in question, to decide.

The religious are welcome to interpret their text any way they choose. Their rights, pretty much, end there. Our laws are clear.

I see that you're PRO-CHOICE, right?  This has been like an ongoing debate ever since.  I just thought that maybe this finding could shift our understanding a little and would later give s a better thought on the issue at hand.  Thanks for sharing.

working