jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Would an atheist created society suffer from anarchy?

1. cooldad profile image61
    cooldadposted 5 years ago

Do you think that an atheist society would be any more or less unruly than a faith based society?  I have seen comments that suggest that atheism leads to anarchy.

1. A Troubled Man profile image61
      A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've seen similar comments that suggest mothers milk leads to heroin.

2. AntonOfTheNorth profile image60
      AntonOfTheNorthposted 5 years ago in reply to this

As long as there is enough food and shelter (and in the western world, stuff, gadgets, and trinkets) then anarchy doesn't really have a hope.

You need order and laws to have an internet, satellites that work, roads that get fixed.

Every society rallies around something.  I have no reason to believe a truly atheist society wouldn't too.

Next question.  Is a truly atheist society possible?

2. 0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

Ask Stalin.

Just kidding. I don't see why a society without religion would be any more unruly than the one we're dealing with right now.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

There have been any number of atheist-created and secular societies and they seem fine. Starting, for example, with the ancient Greek city-states which elevated reason as their highest principle not their rather disorganized polytheistic religions.

In fact there is a positive correlation between homicide and proportion of the population that is Christian. So maybe the reverse wink

4. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 5 years ago

Look at the track records for crimes from robbery to domestic disputes and the percentages would probably answer that.

Personally I don't think moral values have anything to do with religion or lack of religion.  I am highly moral, but staunchly athiest, and I have met some truely vicious and mean spiritted Christians since being in America.  There are however moral and amoral people on both sides of the line.

1. A Thousand Words profile image80
      A Thousand Wordsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

5. SammySammo profile image74
    SammySammoposted 5 years ago

I honestly think more battles have been fought over religion or in the name of religion than for the absence of religion.

6. livelonger profile image90
    livelongerposted 5 years ago

You could look at Estonia, which is 76% non-religious. It seems to be a fairly law-abiding country.

7. nikki_m profile image80
    nikki_mposted 5 years ago

Technically speaking, religion should play no part in our government as it is. Moral codes don't come from religion, if they did we would already be in deep doo-doo even moreso than we already are. I don't think an atheist society would be any more prone to anarchy or other political problems than any other government.

It's the nature of human beings that gets in the way of governments being run well, not the religion of those that formed it. Greed and lust for power are universal it seems, although religion does pose a greater opportunity to exploit others to achieve personal gain...

1. A Thousand Words profile image80
      A Thousand Wordsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

And, believe it or not, in the bible, Paul is ok with this, as long as their Jesus is getting preached. hmm The ends justify the means, I guess...