jump to last post 1-18 of 18 discussions (69 posts)

Christians: Put your money where your mouth is.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image61
    MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago

The recent thread about cyber missionaries got me thinking.  A lot of Christians run their mouths about love and giving and the beauty of God, but in reality are doing absolutely nothing to improve the world by the time they spend online.

Arguing religion for your own entertainment is not spreading the word of God, and it is dang sure not being Christlike in thought and action.

Luke 6:38
    Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

So here is my challenge to all you "Good" Christians on the boards.

All of you, pick three charities with no political ties (I.E. prolife, anti-gay, political party charities) and write hubs about them.  Promote such christian values as feeding the poor, housing the homeless, healing the sick.  The keywords will suck, there will be no money in it for you and no political agenda to push.  Just the joy of spreading the word of the love of charitable acts.

While we're at it, any of you heathens are free to take up the gauntlet too.  Same rules: No political charities.

Lets all spread the love that everyone has been flapping their tongue about...

Who's in?

1. GrowingDeeper profile image61
      GrowingDeeperposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Like the idea...ill try to get out a couple ive been involved with in the next 2/3 days.

2. Ms Dee profile image84
      Ms Deeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've already written one. Have you seen it? "God's Word in the Heart Language - Then There was Light"

1. skye2day profile image83
        skye2dayposted 5 years ago in reply to this

By your tongue it is very hard to know you are a Christian!!
        I will not spin my wheels any longer I have things to do. How about you spending time online? Good Bye

3. kamimi profile image60
      kamimiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I wrote a hub about helping others in need. I just don't feel that its necessary to throw the word "God" and "eternal damnation" into everything I say  and write.  I like your idea, you just can't really say that Christians don't try to help anyone.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image61

Awesome!

I'm following to see what you've got wink

3. MelissaBarrett profile image61

Just read it!  Its a wonderful story and a true way of spreading God's word (In this case literally!)

Maybe you could add a link so others could get involved also.  And maybe a link to organizations that are helping those people with food and fresh water and such? (So that even non-belivers can do something to help the people) I'd like to read more about God's work in that Asia.  Especially those far flung villages.

1. Ms Dee profile image84
      Ms Deeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I like your suggestion, Melissa. I'll go add a link.

4. livelonger profile image89
    livelongerposted 5 years ago

Wonderful idea, Melissa. I'll be one of those "heathens" (Jewish) who will write on 3 favorite Jewish charities (that I also donate to):

- American Jewish World Service
    - Hazon
    - New Israel Fund

5. skye2day profile image83
    skye2dayposted 5 years ago

I disagree. You need to do more homework. May God help you. Discernment is a good thing but most that are online have touched many more then they could otherwise. God has technology so that we can reach others. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. How do you know they are not helping anyone by spending time online,. My mission is to help others and I spend allot of time aniline doing just that. Sharing the love of Jesus and life eternal in the light. It is a choice. I pray for you. I ask who do you serve? What is it you do that helps others? Talk about Christians Dear God I hope you have more to discuss then our work for the Savior of the World This is the first time I got angry online  I defend believers sure there are wolves online all OVER the place in sheep's clothing. In every corner.

MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Um wow.  Okay then.  Sorry for your anger, anger sucks.

I am a Christian, so yeah God is already helping me.  I'm always grateful for prayers though. 

I'll pray for you in return.

6. skye2day profile image83
    skye2dayposted 5 years ago

Why are you so evil?? Read some of the Christian hubs. I think you may be suprised at what beleivers share on their sites and the work they do to serve God. God help you I have written on homeless and worked hard at missions helping them. I have written on the other topics as well and what Christ has to say in His word. What have you done to help others? Judge NOT lest YOU be judged. I am out of here. Again I do pray for you. I pray God softens your heart.

And I'll pray that God sends you a Valium.

2. Bubblegum Senpai profile image86
      Bubblegum Senpaiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

skye2day - what is the point of saying "peace be with you" to a homeless man, and not doing anything - giving him a meal, to bring him peace? I think that's the point MelissaBarrett is trying to make here. Writing online about the gospel may convert a few desperate persons, but it does not allow anyone to truly feel god's love. If someone claims to truly be "Christlike" than love is not just words. It is actions motivated by pure love. Secondly, I see Ms. Barrett's point. read any religion forum and it almost all hate speech - christians hating on muslims, christians hating on atheists and agnostics - agnostics such as myself - or atheists hating on christians or any other theistic group of people. There is nothing evil in her request, and standing up to the challenge may help people grow. If all you se in her request is evil - right down to calling her evil, than I would question whether or not you're really a Christian. You called her evil, than finished your post saying "Judge NOT lest YOU be judged." Isn't calling her evil - not her request, but calling Ms. Barrett herself evil - an act of judgement?

7. MelissaBarrett profile image61

I'm going secular with my first one.

Its going to be about donating school supplies to underprivileged kids.  I volunteered at a backpack give away a couple weeks ago and was surprised by the number of kids that needed the basics.

8. 0
    SirDentposted 5 years ago

Homeless
    I saw him under a bridge one day
    Attempting to keep dry
    The storms of life had blown him away
    He merely wanted to die

A cup of coffee was in my hand
    I handed it over to him
    It's such a shame in this great land
    His life would look so grim

I know of a place where you can go
    I told him with a smile
    The look he gave was one I know
    Would be there for a while

Trust is hard to come by
    It surely must be earned
    I want to be his ally
    And show him my concern

I would meet with him
    Day after day
    Telling him of Jesus
    And why He was slain

Jesus died for you too
    Is what I would say
    Because everyone including you
    Has lost their way.

Satan lost the war
    On the old rugged cross
    Our sins Jesus bore
    Satan's work now turned to dross

That is the beginning of one of my hubs that was published in July of 2008.  I think you should read more hubs by believers if you really want to see what they do.

Thank you SirDent, it was truly beautiful. And thank you for addressing me politely. 

I have read several great hubs on giving by both Christians, Non Christians, and non believers.

This thread was in response to another where I saw the phrase "cybermissionary" thrown around in relationship to the presence on these forums.  I checked, there was very little in the way of true charitable hubs written by most of the threads posters.  I think that alot of active members on the religious discussion boards here are so political that they have lost sight of the true meaning of Christ.  Spreading his word by writing about the Bible is wonderful, but it is sometimes better to simply give of your time and money.  And at those times, a simple "God Bless You" might just be all the preaching necessary. 

After all, God didn't mean for charity to be used as a bribe. 

Love openly, Give freely, no strings attached.

Arguing politics and using bible verses to defend your views on a forum doesn't really improve anyones life... which is what love of God is supposed to do... right?

1. 0
        SirDentposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I used to post a lot more on forums than I do now.  It is easy to get caught up in a debate, an argument or even a fight.  We are all still human.

The Word of God will make some people happy, and make others angry.  We can do nothing about that.  Jesus sent His disciples out to preach the gospel.  Paul wrote that God uses the foolishness of preaching to spread the gospel.

I use Bible verses all the time in these forums when I post.  I like using them because if you post the verse, you will get it right. 

I also know a lot of people will say things like, "If everyone doesn't believe like you do, then they are evil!"  Others will say, "It is your way or the highway!"  The way has nothing to do with me or any other believer.  God is the One who made the Way and it is His Way or no way.

We show the love of God by preaching the gospel and giving when necessary.  Mar 9:41  For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.

1. Seafarer Mama profile image86
          Seafarer Mamaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Absolutely...giving to others...corporal works of mercy...in His name. Wonder if the internet is doing anything in  His name.

I once heard someone say "we are only bible that some people may ever "read
          ...meaning that the kindness and compassion of our words and actions...direct human contact...touch....fulfilling basic needs...is where it's at, and is what truly touches the heart of those who might "need" to be "saved."

I guess I include those who practice earth-centered spirituality, such as Native American Indians, as believers. They just call God "Great Spirit" and respect nature, the world, each other, and even those who do not understand them.   To me, Buddhists and Hindus are also believers. They believe in a moral code of conduct, and their spirituality includes helping others with fulfilling their basic  human needs.

Jesus said that "Those who are not against me are for me." He counted those who do good, though not in His name, as following his mission of kindness and salvation on earth.

Evil isn't about whether or not one engages in any type of spiritual practice each day....or each week. It is about what is in our hearts and souls...and the choices we make in how we approach each other...and the world we live in.

2. Bubblegum Senpai profile image86
          Bubblegum Senpaiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sirdent - I agree. Despite the fact I am not a christian, I hold no ill will towards Christianity in general, and in fact very much admire the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth. There are some very wonderful Christians out there, such as one who has built one of my countries largest homeless shelters after himself overcoming homelessness, because he wants these people to be warm and fed. There are also wonderful buddhists, muslims, jews, athiests, agnostics, and whatever else I may have forgotten.

It's just when religion becomes overtly political that it begins to bother me. I don't mind politics being about religion, but religion should not necessarily be about politics.

9. 0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

Hey Melissa. Not sure what wild hair is pricking some of the Christians. I thought your thread was a great idea. In the spirit of Hub Pages.

I'd offer to write some articles on heathen charities, but I've always believed charity begins at home; any spare funds I have are given to help those in need here. I don't donate to major organizations.

LOL, I'm not letting you off that easily Emile ;P  How about a hub on the joys of voluteering.... or even a profile of a local charity that you like?

(j/k I'm not gonna twist your arm)

It was just an idea to maybe cut some of the negativity off the forums by focusing on the good in both the religious and the non-believers.  I should have known better.

I'm still behind the idea though, I think some good can come from it.

1. Jonathan Janco profile image80
        Jonathan Jancoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Charity has never come easy for me I must admit. But I'm thinking of volunteering some of my time here. Very rare to see this kind of institution. To me its what a church should be.

http://www.ucrowayton.org/

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
          Eaglekiwiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Aww love the pic, now all ya need is a puppy Jonathan.

Love the idea too that Church doesnt always take place in a building and it is (I think) a gathering of the believers.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image61

It seems like a very progressive church smile I love their page on stewardship.

It doesn't have to be a church you volunteer with, if you are more inclined towards secular causes then go with what you feel is right.  In my experience, religion aside, I always feel better about my life after I help someone else... (The selfish side of charity I guess) and I get to meet some really nice people (because, for the most part, asshats don't really go in for the volunteer thing)

1. Jonathan Janco profile image80
            Jonathan Jancoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I love secular charities as well. When I lived in Providence I volunteered at a couple of free breakfast programs when I could. A lot of these programs are usually run by churches, but the one I volunteered at the most was in an old union hall and run by a group that was basically alot like the Black Panthers. A few people had warned me that being white I might experience some apprehension but it wasnt like that at all. As for being a part of this church, it also helps me. I could use some new friends and its the spiritual aspect that I feel is currently missing. Well, I mean I'm ok with my spirituality but so many people in my life have so much trouble relating to that.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image73

Hey MB ,well maybe you've given me a kick up the pants to blow off the dust on a hub that I had simmering-was a stint I did for a short while with Goodwill etc,and Habitat for Humanity.

Id forgotton all about it ,since Id relocated though interesting how it lead me to another kind of outreach. wink
        Then again might write about something else ,now the ole gray matter has been stimulated smile

1. livelonger profile image89
          livelongerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Both great charities. Good on you. smile

Thank-you.
            Actually I went to help and they helped me so much more!
            Humbling ,and satisfying time.

Yes, giving to charity and volunteering time are definitely win-win. smile

2. habee profile image91
          habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

We gave to Goodwill just today! They do a lot of good work in our community.

3. 0
        Emile Rposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Looks like some good already has come. Some people seem gung ho. I'll put my little thinking cap on. I may already have an idea, but I'll have to do some research. May be the weekend before I can  start writing something about it.

10. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 5 years ago

I think I have several hubs about helping others. I remember at least one about teaching my grandkids to give to the poor and to visit nursing homes at Christmas, which we do every year as a family on Christmas Eve. I know I have lots of hubs about being kind to animals and animal rescues.

Animals are people, too, ya know! lol

My dad agrees with you! I often give him a donation in his name to a wonderful no-kill shelter in Los Angeles for his birthday and Christmas.

1. habee profile image91
        habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's a wonderful gift that gives twice!

11. earnestshub profile image87
    earnestshubposted 5 years ago

The church owned charities in my city are amongst the best. We have just moved house.......about 1 kilometre closer to the big Salvation Army shop. It is very well supported by selfish heartless non-believers such as my self as well. The Anglican church is also a huge contributor to charity here.
    Internationally? My family sponsors hungry children and have also sponsored International students.

Yes, it's worth mentioning that there are plenty of secular charities doing great things alongside ones with religious foundations. And there are atheists who support Christian charities, Christians who support Jewish charities, Jews who support secular charities, etc.

You can do G-d's work without doing so in the name of G-d. smile (I'm sure you know what I mean)

1. earnestshub profile image87
        earnestshubposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have spent a fair bit of time helping out at the Anglican church and know a bunch of nice people. You are right of course, they cover many different beliefs, but the main thing is the belief they have in helping out. smile

12. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 5 years ago

Wow! It's great that all of us here agree on something!

Yes! IMHO it says something very universalist about the value of charity. smile

13. classicalgeek profile image87
    classicalgeekposted 5 years ago

I realize that many people may not be in a position to give, or even to write about charitable organizations, and when I first got on HubPages I wrote a hub about how you can give to charity by clicking to donate.

The hub is here: hxxp://classicalgeek.hubpages.com/hub/change-the-world-in-your-spare-time and even if you play all the trivia games listed, you can really make a difference in twenty minutes a day (and it doesn't have to be twenty minutes all at once, because most sites take only seconds to donate). I try to keep this hub open in a tab on my browser and click the next site when I have a few seconds to spare.

BTW the few pennies this hub has earned me go to a microfinance operation and so far I have helped five women start their own businesses in Haiti.

Nice work! I have a favourite site that gives to charity as well that buys back rainforest and feeds chimps. It only takes few second and a couple of clicks.
      It is called redjellyfish.com

1. classicalgeek profile image87
        classicalgeekposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That site is already on the list smile
        Oh, I also did one on my experience volunteering at the library.
        I have a speech to give Tuesday so I need to start working on that . . . after that I'll probably do one about my stint on the board of directors of my local symphony orchestra.

14. GrowingDeeper profile image61
    GrowingDeeperposted 5 years ago

Here is my first one. Hope to have one or two more over the next few days. I have volunteered here and actually worked on staff at Garden City Rescue Mission for a short while last year. I still am actively involved with the homeless here in our community but in another county since I  moved last year. Here's the Hub:

http://growingdeeper.hubpages.com/hub/H … e-Homeless

Congrats on being the first hubber to step up to the plate (as a result of this thread),good read too! smile

thanks eagle. just hope to spread the Word and the message of the organizations

And you did a great job!  I don't know how I missed this earlier but I'm glad my front page caught it!  Thank you for your wonderful hub smile

thanks melissa. these people committ their life to these causes as I have done for the cause of Christ in general.

15. livelonger profile image89
    livelongerposted 5 years ago

Finished my first, on the AJWS (ads turned off; not a commercial Hub):
    http://livelonger.hubpages.com/hub/Amer … rvice-AJWS

Just read it LL.  It was a great overview of a wonderful organization.  I knew you were my favorite heathen for a reason smile  *hugs*

And you're my favorite Christian! Thanks, Melissa. The next one will be on the New Israel Fund, hopefully soon while the "tent protests" are still going on.

16. kerryg profile image87
    kerrygposted 5 years ago

I'm one of the godless heathens (Christian agnostic is how I prefer to describe myself, but for obvious reasons most believers wouldn't agree about the Christian part smile ), but I have several hubs on various organizations promoting women's rights worldwide.

Well since I come from a country that gave women the vote first ,I am off to read Kerry smile

17. MelissaBarrett profile image61

Look forward to it LL.

Here's my first.  Also no ads. Its about the difference that small donation of school supplies could make to a disadvantaged school-aged child.

http://melissabarrett.hubpages.com/hub/ … hilds-Year

Really great Hub, and one that really puts things in perspective for people who have kids in school. What you've shared is pretty much universally applicable to any school where there are children in need. Bravo. smile

18. Lisa HW profile image81
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I don't necessarily disagree (in fact I mainly agree) with the sentiment here, but I don't like that "Luke 6-whatever thing" about (essentially) giving and getting back.  a) I don't think it particularly works that way in life, and b) I don't think that's what "giving back" ought to be about.

Gratitude for what we have, maybe.  I don't find that inappropriate.  Still, I really think aiming to do/give what one can should come from a place other than because Luke said they'll get something back.  It's just better to do give/do because one really just thinks it's a nice or caring or right thing to do when it comes to people caring about others.

Too many people do things because they think their God is watching, and doing/giving will get them into Heaven.  That shouldn't be the "getting back" that's their motivation.

I take a more pragmatic view...  I don't care why someone chooses to help if the end benefit is the improvement of someone else's (including animals wink )situation.

Christians are supposed to be charitable because of their religion.
      The wealthy donate for tax breaks.
      Older individuals often volunteer for a chance to socialize.
      Some do it to feel better about themselves.
      Some do it out of guilt, or to repay a debt.
      Some do it because they feel it is their responsibility.
      Some are just kind.
      Some are loving.
      Some want to look good in front of others.

It can be any of those reasons or any combination.  If it feeds a hungry person or helps a sick person receive medical treatment, I don't give a toss what the reasons are smile

While I agree with Lisa's sentiments, I also agree with Melissa's pragmatism: as long as good deeds are done, it doesn't really matter what the motivation is.

2. earnestshub profile image87

Well said Melisa! It is not hard to see a lot of motives when you chat to charity workers, that is what makes us all different, and frankly they are like the rest of humanity as far as I can tell.

What matters is outcome.

I'll remember you said that the next time you bash religion as being utterly worthless and evil. wink

No problem to me. I worked with the church charity for many years while my non believing son was a chorister at our city's largest and most prominent church.

I have no problem telling anyone I believe religion is a pile of rot from end to end.

Two of our cities best social workers, both been with the church for longer than I've been alive and both ministers of the churches they represent agree with me as well.

Maybe it is a pile of rot...to you.

Others find it extra motivation to do good work. What's the harm in that?

If that is what they do, there is no harm in that at all as I thought would have been obvious from my comment above. smile

Yeah...in *this* thread. smile

Why don't you state your case or give it over, you obviously got offended, feel free to speak up.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image73

I do it because I want to be rich and famous lol

Oh no, Im dragging the chain getting my hub finished,its all coming back to me now ,leaving homework til the last minute hmm

It will be like wine Kiwi: Better for aging.  Goes for women and writing alike wink

Likes ya thinking..wink

working