jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (27 posts)

giving back to god

1. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago

Is there any difference between tithing from one's earnings to some church denomination and giving, donating money to charities or to those on the street who are destitute and in need.

The reason I ask the question is: If one gives to the church, especially the Roman Catholic Church, a portion of that money goes to the Vatican Bank in Rome, and who knows what if any good is done with it.

BUT, if you give to some charity like "Feed The Children" the money goes to feed children in need. If you donate to some street person or buy that person some food with the money, you can see for a fact where your hard earned money goes, and really isn't that the point to giving, to know that you have helped someone in need.

1. pennyofheaven profile image81
      pennyofheavenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No not really in my opinion. What they do with it depends highly on who the powers that 'be' are. Either it benefits others or it does not. We may never know.

Tithing in my understanding was an economical decision in the days of old. Whether it was inspired by God, I don't know. Made sense to me in that those that were like missionaries today had no other way to survive other than with the tithes. How could they share their philosophy while working? Made sense.

We pay the government to develop our communities and to comply with the developmental costs etc etc we have enforced on us rules and regulations that are intended to maintain the community that is supposed to be beneficial for the community. We have put them there so we have to live with their decisions and visions even if they are not beneficial.

Same with those in the church or charitable organisations. When or if we tithe we are giving them the power to do what they like with the hope that they benefit the needy community.

If you can do it yourself. Why not. Seeing it is benefiting one person is far more rewarding than hoping it is making a change.

2. A Troubled Man profile image61
    A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago

Tithing supports the church, charities support people. Huge difference.

Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Troubled:  Get it right if you are going to discuss things with me. Tithing is supposed to be our way of returning back to Almighty God a portion of that which God provided.It has nothing to do with supporting of any church. When God made tithing one of His rules, there was no church. This was a rule handed down to Moses and the children of Israel and the collection of crops or first born animals was to serve as a sacrifice to God and to provide for those in need.

1. A Troubled Man profile image61
        A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Who collects the tithes if not the church? Who does whatever they want with that money if not the church? How does the church operate and get so wealthy if not for tithes?

Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

True the church makes the collection but one can designate where and how the money is to be spent.

Not true, once you give the money to the church, they will do what they want with it.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image61
              MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You obviously haven't been to my church, but please feel free to make whatever generalization you need to make yourself feel better about your own opinions.  Doesn't really matter if its not universally true, as long as it fits your preconceived notions run with it!

No, I haven't seen your church and you have done absolutely nothing to explain otherwise?

Are you actually claiming that YOU instruct where your money goes when you give it to the church? Every penny? And, each and every person who gives money in your church also instructs where their monies go?

I'd like to see that.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
                  Eaglekiwiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Seems like you hold God more accountable than Govt Depts?
                  Do you know where and how they spend your money for example?

2. MelissaBarrett profile image61

My church has separate donations for upkeep, charitable causes (usually two or three running at a time, chosen by the congregation) and special donations where every cent of the funds goes towards that particular cause.  Each fund is kept separate.  So yes, I choose exactly where the money goes. 

Furthermore, when the church does have an "upkeep" drive, the upkeep is always specifically stated.  For instance, if the plumbing needs fixed then the donations will go to fix the plumbing.  Often members of the church with experience in the repair are asked to give their time instead of their money so it can be done cheaper.  The church also allows free access to it's books, so anyone can examine them at any point. 

Now, find someway to prove that my clergy accidentally dropped a penny down a sidewalk grate once to prove your point.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image73

If you dont trust the church ,you dont give ,simple as that.

On the flip side there are organisations who do proportion the funds as they see fit as well, so whether you call it church or not ,money is money ,best you know exactly who its going too and why smile

There are also other ways of giving ,time being one of them. You would be surprised how little people want to give up their free time to help someone out.

Personally I see more return from God these days, than the Tax dept, but thats another topic lol

I see nothing from gods, but I have received monies back from the Tax dept.

Where do you see this return from God?

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73

Accomodation
                  Food
                  Friends
                  Clothing
                  Training
                  Car

But I thank God everyday for things money cant buy like family,hope,faith,joy,health etc.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image61
                    Woman Of Courageposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Money can't buy love either Kiwi. smile

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

I thought you guys were in agreement. Judging from both of your posts.

But, if you look at what you said; tithing did originally support the priests also. Look at what their take was from what was brought to them for God.

Anyway, I would think 10% was 10%. Charity, or the church; but it would go a lot farther toward helping the poor and needy if given to a reputable   charity, or directly to those in need.

4. ershruti304 profile image61
    ershruti304posted 5 years ago

Well I feel if you really wont to give back something to humanity then all you need is to work against child exploitation. Work for development and welfare of those kids who are being clutched by child labor and other such wrong practices.

5. MelissaBarrett profile image61
    MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago

I wouldn't think that Christ would care where the tithe went as long as it was going towards helping others. 

I actually see both sides of the argument here.  Many churches use at least part of their contributions on the upkeep of the church and stipends for the clergy.  There really isn't anything wrong with that, secular charities do it as well.  Buildings need roofs, electricity needs paid etc.  I know very few churches that don't have at least a minimum set up in the way of contributions/charity projects that the money goes to as well.

On the other hand, if one wants to take a portion of his or her income and give it directly to a family in need, I seriously doubt if God is going to care that the church didn't get it.

6. Greek One profile image78
    Greek Oneposted 5 years ago

Give TO whomever... but give FROM your heart

*claps* or *amens* or *salutes*  (chose which is the least offensive way of saying good comment)

7. DoubleScorpion profile image88
    DoubleScorpionposted 5 years ago

If the believers are correct...

God created everything, then why is money required to do his work? Should he be able to provide his chosen with the means to accomplish his goals...According to the bible he fed the Isrealites when they had none. And Jesus feed 5000 with 2 fish and 5 loaves. If god wanted temple to by used for worship, shouldn't he provide everything required for building it, as well as the upkeep? But of course, even the bible says that money, materials and skills are required of humans to build the items required to worship God properly. And these items are things like Gold, Silver, the best linen/cloth, the best animals, the best wood...God doesn't like the cheap stuff...

I have nothing against helping our fellow men and women...I think we all should help those less fortunate than us...But neither God or the church is required for that.

I agree that neither church nor God are required.  I can say that while still respecting and admiring the good that charitable organizations and churches do by stewardship.  I feel the same way about secular organizations. 

However, in the same way that I am shamed by the amount of evil done in Christ's name I am made happy by the amount of good that is also accomplished in his name.  To see one but not the other-no matter which side of the fence you are on-is hypocritical.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image88
        DoubleScorpionposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There is good and bad in everything. That is just how things seem to work. However, helping others can be done for no other reason but it is the right thing to do.

Helping others can be accomplished without the need of a building, budget or workers to manage the process. If everyone would walk what they talked there would be no need for the "cost" programs that help the needy.

How many empty bedrooms are in our homes, how much leftover food do we toss each day, how many times do we throw old or outdated clothing because it doesn't fit or it was last years style.

Alot(not all) of the people who donate money to the church is done out of fear of going to hell. Very few are actually concerned in how that money is being used.

The daily costs of running a church or other non-profit organization that benifits the needy can run 50% or more of the money taken in. There are a few that use as little as 20%, but for the most part about half of the money taken in is used to cover overhead costs. Sadly, more money is donated for the elections of politicians than is donated in the assistance of the local needy (USA only).

2. Eaglekiwi profile image73

Its not the amount or even the thing that you are giving that gains any accolade.
      But like Greek said, God is more concerned with the sacrifice, the attitude and the willingness to serve wink...

So it is the act of giving ,rather than the thing being given smile
      i.e Jesus multiplying a young persons lunch~

Oops in my humble opinion that is.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image88
        DoubleScorpionposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree that christian doctrine states that god is interested in the things you mentioned...But in all honesty, how many do you know that do it for those reasons? Jesus also spoke of doing those things in private behind closed doors...Why do so many about break their arms patting themselves on the back for the "charity work" they do?

8. brotheryochanan profile image60
    brotheryochananposted 5 years ago

tithing is for the upkeep of the church and its workers today just as it was for the upkeep of the temple and its workers then. 10% is the minimum required. There is no penalty for breaking this principle except that:
    -You have proven your faith is your money more than God.
    -you do not fully support/enjoy or 'get' the church that God 'should have' planted' you in. (Perhaps you just attend a local church or a family or comfy church, but you haven't really asked God to put you in a church of HIS choosing).
    Where your money is so will your heart be.

Church should be a place that you feel like you are home. Not because it teaches a watered down word or one can hide, but because you actually learn stuff and feel Gods presence.

Giving to charity, etc. is an alm, which means that it is an EXTRA giving that you give apart from the tithe.

working