Is islam Very tolerant?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (76 posts)
  1. DirtyBarack16 profile image58
    DirtyBarack16posted 12 years ago

They claim to be tolerant and promote peace, but whats the big picture?

1. pennyofheaven profile image79
      pennyofheavenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If there is outer conflict, it is a reflection of the inner conflict. The goal might be peace, but the aspect of mind that likes to reign could be disagreeing with the peaceful oriented aspect.

DirtyBarack16posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

2. DoubleScorpion profile image78
      DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We are judging the whole by the extremist few. Same as we do with all religions.

In Israel it is a very different story my friend. And they all believe in the same violent subjects,whether they show it or not.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78

I've been there...Seen it first hand...And it is a small country...so it is still a small part of the whole.

1. Ms Dee profile image87
            Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Have you been to Indonesia, the largest Islamic population? Just take a look at all that has been happening there and you will get a grasp of whether or not Islam is on the whole a peace promoting ideology.

Yes. I have been there as well... I am in the military. I have been to almost every muslim country. But what most don't think about is that fact that alot of muslim countries have a religious based governement. So we have a political as well as a religious conflict going on.

Lets just say that Muslims make up 33% of the world's population. (For arguements sake) Of those maybe 2-3% are causing all of the problems that we see in the media. The fact remains...the religion itself teaches tolerance the same as the christian faith does. But small percentage take those religious beliefs to extreme measures in the name of "Insert Deity here". Just as those who are christian claim that someone who mass kills is not truly a christian (no matter what that person claims) the same can be said of those of the muslim faith.

EDIT* We are comparing people claiming a religion to the religion itself. These are two seperate things.

1. Ms Dee profile image87
                Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, DoubleScorpion, that doesn't do it for me. Islam is a man's religion/laws. Even among their own people, they discount half the population as having any rights. That is not peace promoting, but instead is male domination.

You are right..there are alot of the followers of the religion that are not following the religions teachings...The religion itself (not the people) teaches tolerance...And Male Dominance...well that is in the bible as well...We just don't follow those teachings like the Jewish and Muslims do...

Originally the muslim beliefs had men and women pretty much equal. Over time everyone has put their fingers into the mix and changed thigns around...just as with the bible.

Read up on Muhammad and the start of the Muslim (Islamic) religion. I think you will find it interesting. And alot of similarities with other "Book" religions.

2. DirtyBarack16 profile image58

So how the muslims treat the jewish people in Israel doesn't matter to you? Jewish people are not even allowed to pray on Temple Mount,the most holy site to jewish people. They are stopped by muslim police if they even try to carry a bible or anything related.They are completely searched. They are thrown in Jail if caught!! But of course the good ol muslims are allowed to preach and pray all they want up there! Very tolerant......MAYBE NOT

I am not saying that I agree with issues in Isreal or anywhere else. But the fact remains that Isreal is a small country and judging all muslims on the one in Isreal is the same as if one judged all christians by...lets say...the Westboro Church...

3. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm more interested in your profile name than Islam being tolerant or not.

Islam is like christianity, the fundamentalists are sick and dangerous to the rest of us.

Is Dirty Barack a way to denigrate the president?

No comment. Personal views

2. profile image0
    Binaya.Ghimireposted 12 years ago

Islam is very tolerant religion but the most of the Islamists are very intolerant.

1. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, but I still would like to post this funny picture...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mXOJsfJyd74/ShKJApe6_pI/AAAAAAAACJ8/eUXrjO9IAMw/s400/Muslims%20for%20peace.jpg

1. Repairguy47 profile image60
        Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Photo taken at a Democrat National Committee rally.

THAT PICTURE PROVES MY POINT!!!!!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
            Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Check out some posters of the Westboro Church one day

2. profile image49
        Cmichael10911posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Muslims that think like those in the Picture carrying posters should pack their bags and go back to where they came. If you come to America for a better life, leave your hate tread in the country you are leaving.

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

It's a little disconcerting to see someone so young harboring so much animosity. Islam, like any other religion, gives cause for a tiny percentage of its followers to feel justified in acts of violence. But, the vast majority of Muslims are people who want to live peacefully like everyone else.

1. earnestshub profile image80

Exactly! Most people would prefer to live in peace, and there are fundies who hate in most religions and cultures. Fortunately they are a small minority.

I know the truth and wont change my opinion about Islam. Thats why America is so great, we can all voice our opinions! PROUD INFIDEL

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A more important aspect of America's greatness is its tolerance, and acceptance of all.

Our tolerance can also be a issue, for some topics

1. profile image0

Tolerance should be of primary importance with every topic; don't you think? If you are intolerant, how are you better than what you are attempting to judge with this thread?

I am referring to the United States in general

2. Maddie Ruud profile image71
            Maddie Ruudposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So, let me get this straight.  You think everyone else should tolerate your extremism, which includes intolerance of any other form of extremism?  I'm sure it makes sense to you, but it doesn't compute for me.

Every religion, every political persuasion, every belief-oriented group has extremists.  There are extreme Christians, Jews, Muslims, Republicans, Democrats, Giants fans, Dodgers fans...  But if one set of Dodgers fans beats a Giants fan into a coma, am I then justified in writing all Dodgers fans off as violent?  No.  So why would I write off Islam entirely, for the actions of a smaller group of extremists?

99.99% of terrorists are MUSLIM! I never see a christian or jew running into a school or bus station yelling "Allah Akbar"!

1. Paraglider profile image88
                Paragliderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Come to that, I've never seen a Rangers fan cheering for Celtic. What's your point, habibi?

2. recommend1 profile image61
                recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is simply untrue, more terrorists are in it for the money than for religion of any kind.  Terrorists who are also mass murderers are generally politicians, Cheney and Bush are only two of the most well known.

Well lets see, Pretty much all terrorists blow them selfs up and are gone. But in Islam this means their family has a celebration and earns salvation because their was a martyr in their family. I have talked to an ex-terrorist myself....

1. profile image0

You are either exceptionally naive, or grasping at reasons to hate. Not all terrorists are suicide bombers. Do you understand the definition of the word terrorist?

3. DirtyBarack16 profile image58

My point is I love all Muslims, But Islam is my issue. G-d bless

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I am hesitant to post here because I am afraid of being killed.

It is one of Islam's main, core beliefs to kill all non-Islam believers. It's right there in their first page of doctrines. Islam really needs to clean up their religion. As the Jews and Christians did around 500 years ago. Better late than never.

The bible has the same beliefs as the quoran, only the names of some of those to be killed is changed.
      Some samples:

"They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman."  (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

"Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods.  In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully.  If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock.  Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it.  Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God.  That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt.  Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction.  Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you.  He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors.  "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him."  (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

There are many other similar passages throughout "the good book"

This refers to the point that our G-d is mighty and like during the flood the wicked died. But i can say that there is NOT 1 Verse in the BIBLE that says openly to kill non-believers and Support Jihad!

1. Maddie Ruud profile image71
          Maddie Ruudposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It does say it's ok to have slaves, that you shouldn't eat pork, and that menstruating women are unclean and you shouldn't touch them.  Do you also subscribe to all of those beliefs?

Point being: old texts are just that... old texts.  They may have some valuable lessons for people today, but none of them should be universally applied today.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image62
            Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My great-great grandfather was photographed handing a pulled pork sandwich to one of his recently released munstruating slaves.  Our family has been cursed ever since.

Yes i believe all those beliefs

But the Bible doesnt say to kill infidels!

1. profile image0

It may not use the word infidel, but it certainly does tell the Israelites to kill every man woman and child in the land of Canaan.

and even that is some of the lighter threats and orders to kill in the OT.

1. profile image0

That's what is scary, when you hear some of these people rant. Especially when they are so young and take this stuff so seriously. I can't imagine it would take much to tip some over the edge into violence.

Ya canaan, That city was 2,000 years ago! It doesnt say to rage roar and be-friend non-muslims, like the quran does today!

2. profile image0

You must be joking. Have you ever bothered to read the Bible?

3. Ron Montgomery profile image62
          Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Keep reading a bit further into Deuteronomy.  You'll find one of many there.

4. earnestshub profile image80

The "wicked" who died in the flood left 8 people living according to scripture.
          How many "wicked" people did this god create? 99%
          That would make a blundering fool of any god wouldn't it?

G-d created them but they chose their spiritual ways

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like a clean-up is needed all around. It will never happen. lol

Thank you "paradigmsearch" for standing up for the truth!!!

5. Jonathan Janco profile image59
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

Maddie, its so nice to see getting out and socializing. All work and no play . . . well, you know the rest.
    lol

I find this thread a bit bothersome for alot of the same reasons others have mentioned. As for the avatar of the hubber who started this thread, I dont think that speaks very highly of the CIA (not that I wouldnt suggest they dont have some issues). Saying all Muslims are bad people is like saying all white people in the U.S. are card carrying members of the Ku Klux Klan. Either way, I think this thread is designed for provocation, so I wont be returning.

The CIA Is a great agency that protects our nation against Terrorism as well as Home Land Security

6. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

Islam is what it says it is... "Submission"... if that translates to peace in your mind... then so be it.

As for me. I know it to be what it is... a barbaric totalitarian religion bent on world domination for allah.

Simple.

But I wouldn't imagine any who think of Mao and Stalin as heroic great men of the 20th century would recognize or even speak of Islam as it really is.

1. profile image0

Well. That alleviates the suspicions that Barack was your sock puppet.

Probably good you're here. Now he has a little friend to help him slam Islam.

1. TMMason profile image61
        TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have been busy with family E. How have you been? Good I hope.

And I do not have to slam Islam E. I can simply let Islam speak for itself and it shows its true nature, evil.

Simple.

1. profile image0

I'm glad to see you're well. Myself? I don't know. It's always sketchy when I'm surrounded by hate mongers, but all in all I'd say; I'm pretty good. smile

2. DoubleScorpion profile image78

This was the Christian Belief movement as well just a few hundred years ago. And seeing as Islam is about 600 years younger than Christianity, it is about right on track...Give them another 100-200 years and they will be right where the christian faith is today.

You pre-suppose there is an avenue to enlightenment within the body of Islam itself. There is not. So no. It will not be as Christianity in another 100 or 200 years.

None, no one, not the Ulema Scholars, or jurists of Islam have ever, nor will they ever, speak of changing the doctrines of Islam. None have the right to change or liberalize the doctrines of Islam. Any who try to are to be killed immediately.

Why do you think there are no moderate muslims speaking out in the world. They, as well as all muslims, know damn well there is no such thing as moderate Islam. Yes. You may find a moderate muslim here or there... but there is no such thing as moderate Islam, and there never will be.

Sorry. Just the facts.

And what you term the Christian belief movement, -I am supposing you're talking about the violence of the  CatholicChurch-, is not the "Christian" movement, but the Catholic movement.

And it was not, "Christians", per-say who slaughtered all the heretics... but the Catholics who did that. You know... Simon Magus' Church he set up in Rome.

Catholic = christian. It doesn't matter if you want to accept that or not...That is just the facts as well...And if one would research the Islam religion itself, one would see that what is being practiced today is not what was originally founded...Same as the christian beliefs.

What was originally taught by "Jesus", what the Roman church created and then what we see today is not even remotely close to being the same things...

Catholics do not represent all of Christianity... that is a fact. Whether or not you want to accept that, doesn't matter, it is what it is.

And that was the point. You cannot consider all Christians, Catholics... pretty simple.

And you ought to be glad that Islam as was preached by Mohhammud is not being practiced today... things would be alot worse. And that is a fact.

And I am not a Catholic so don't waste your time with the BS about the Roman church on me. I could care less about the Catholic church.

As I said... my point, which is obvious and true, is that Catholics are not now, nor ever have been, the only Christians in the world.

Again, simple.

@Para... Mao's greatness is very much alive and well in China.

I misunderstood your post...I took you to say that Catholics weren't Christians.

The rest is just a difference in our opinions on the subject at hand.

Sorry I will try to be clearer.

No worries.

While I might not always agree with a posters view of things. I do enjoy the discussions I find here.

Thank you TMMason, I totally agree. there is no moderate islam

3. Paraglider profile image88

I don't know any such people. I don't even know of any, except possibly in parts of backwater China where Mao's brainwashing legacy still persists.

1. recommend1 profile image61
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pretty much every peasant farmer has a big picture of Mao in their house, probably more than half of all Chinese households.  The communist experiment has many sides and in many respects Mao was (and is) a hero - as many will tell you "No Mao - no China",  bringing 1.4 billion people into the 21st century inevitably had good and bad going on.  Those who criticise tend to ignore that this cr@p happened all over the world, the first world war could be seen as the UK ridding itself of a few million young men to avoid a revolution, the Vietnam
        hypocrisy took over 6 million lives - etc etc.

1. Paraglider profile image88

Yes. I've not been there but I do know that. I know many Chinese in the Middle East who stand up for Mao's legacy.

2. Greek One profile image64
          Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Other pictures once found in peasant's homes...

http://libcom.org/files/stalin%5B1%5D.jpg

http://prints.encore-editions.com/0/0/500/adolf-hitler-1889-1945--2-framed.jpg?frame=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fee-staging%2Fthumbnails%2F32289%2FFrame_980715_Black_and_Gold_framer.png&mask=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fee-staging%2Fthumbnails%2F32289%2FFrame_980715_Black_and_Gold_frame_mask.png

... and then after freedom came to the village...

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Travel/Pix/gallery/2001/02/05/stalin.gif

http://nursemyra.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/hitler-teapot.jpg

4. DirtyBarack16 profile image58

I agree

7. DoubleScorpion profile image78
    DoubleScorpionposted 12 years ago

Almost all "book" Religions teach they are right and all others are wrong...

Ya but Islam proclaims death to them....

So does the bible. smile

More Specific Christians and Jews. For Gosh sakes Mohamed Married a 6 year old!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)