Transformation ??

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (63 posts)
  1. Jerami profile image57
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

Was reading a coupleA threads where they were talking about evolution.

And I was just wondering ???  What is the difference ;? scientiically ,
    in a thing transforning its apearance in a single lifetime and something evolving within a coupleA generations (or hundreds).

For example,  poison Ivy can be transplanted onto an Oak tree, and its apearance changes (transorms)  ???   This, due to a change of nutrient intake.

How much greater  100,000 years or two may make? especially considering world wide enviromental changes.
        Evolution gotta be true to some extent.

Had to post this while the question remains on my mind, or, I'd forget to.
      but?  sorry I do gotta run off for a while.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How does poison ivy change and how do you link it to evolution?

2. Disappearinghead profile image61
    Disappearingheadposted 12 years ago

I recently read a book "The language of God" by Francis Collins. He was the director of the worldwide human genome project which spent ten years mapping the human genes. After a career spanning many years in genetic research he came to the conclusion that the theory of evolution is absolutely proven in our genes. Now he also states he is a Christian and came to this position from atheism in his 20s.

The choice is, do we go with the professor who has many years of objective research to his name, or do we go with the Christian fundamentalist literalists who hold their ill informed views on principle but haven't experienced science since leaving high school?

As for me I'll go with the scientist every time. By accepting the evolutionary model of the creation of man we can still find theistic truths on the nature of man and relation to God from the allegorical genesis account. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

first I would like to apologize to everyone for my poor attendance after posting comments.
          I won't go into detail except to say It  CAN'T  be avoided.
          This too will pass.

Disappearinghead   I have to agree with this comment completely.

I gotta ask!  It is mentioned many times in scriptures how God cast his wrath upon the Hebrew people for not following HIS laws.

It is written in Daniel 9:24
      Seventy weeks are determined unto thy people, to finish the transgression, quit sinning, make restitution, and to anoint the most Holy.

They didn't do it!
        SOooo  God brought about the end of that Hebrew Nation!

How is it that immediately upon its conception, The church in Rome began committing atrocities much greater than anything perpetuated by the Hebrew peoples?
      -     -  -  -

James  ..  "I mean, who knows what is planned for after this metamorphosis, this reunification".

me ...    I could be wrong?  But I think that by the time that happens? we will have gone Full Circle.
      For it is written that our names were written in the book of life BEFORE the foundation of the world was laid.
        For He knew us BEFORE we were knitted into the womb.   ???  The point being, Church has been teaching interpretation of scripture for SOooo long that we have become blinded by them.  When we read scripture ….   These interpretations jump to the forefront of our minds and we miss the true messages as they were originally intended.

3. jacharless profile image75
    jacharlessposted 12 years ago

From cover to cover, imo, the biblical text shows the evolution of humanity.
    Isn't this what Immanu El showed by evolving from mesa mortal to eternal mortal?
    Isn't this where the controversy really exists regarding the purpose of humanity, its inception?

An evolving/transforming from the stasis of limitation to one of totality, perfection, completion -at least as far as this natural location is concerned. I mean, who knows what is planned for after this metamorphosis, this reunification.
    That is something beyond the present scope of scientific and sensation consideration.

Good thought Jerami.

James.

1. Evolution Guy profile image58
      Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not really. Everything we know about evolution must be discarded if there was a developmental destination planned - which is what you tell us god dun. lol

Sadly - just more word salad to defend an irrational belief.

Now,  that is an ALL  or  Nothing approach.

Why does it have to be either or?
        Either you/us are totally correct or totally wrong?

I guess that makes ALL of us totally wrong!

Because we need to throw away our understanding of evolution - all of it - it it was all planned ahead and there was a developmental destination already decided.

Sorry.

It is kinda like when we go on a trip.
              We may already know the destination,  and not know how many times we are going to stop and smell the roses, or picnic under a tree.

It is nothing like that at all. Unless you are saying that your Invisible Super Being did not know that one animal that would develop and appear was human beings with self awareness - that would make sense.

It is nothing like that at all. Unless you are saying that your Invisible Super Being did not know that one animal that would develop and appear was human beings with self awareness - that would make sense.

===

Not at all;   Evolution did happen to some degree.

AND  THEN  ...   with just a little intervention, Mankind was steered down a different path.  Or something like that!

Ah - so your Invisible Super Being did not know what was going to develop and did not do all the development - no creation, no plan? When did it do the majik?

Unlike some people ...  I do not have ALL o the answers.

But I do usually know when I am looking in the wrong direction watching for the sun to rise.

2. Disappearinghead profile image61
            Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a sweeping statement there and I'm not sure that observing evolution supports it. Evolution describes the changes; it does not purport to answer any question of why or purpose if any.

Besides which play the game here. You have long ranted against believers who hold onto to a literal view of creation, yet when others state they are comfortable with eviction, you are still not happy.

1. Disappearinghead profile image61
              Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry typo above. My Apple rendered eviction for evolution without my permission.

2. Evolution Guy profile image58

No - evolution describes the reasons and driving forces for the changes as well as the changes themselves. It documents the whys and wherefores, and recognizes that there is not a predetermined development planned. If there were - evolution would need every single step of the way to be controlled - every single thing that happened on the planet - every one. Thus - if you are now saying god dunnit wiv evolution and he controlled every single step - this makes all of our knowledge worthless and your god rather stupid.

2. Seafarer Mama profile image80
          Seafarer Mamaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Jerami,

Early on in my college career, I often wondered why people thought of Evolution and "Creation" as mutually exclusive...that there is an intelligent creative force for all of life from the beginning of time...a spirit who still helps us along now...with other spirits who also do the same...that the creator has also given us guides in the unseen world as we have on the physical plane...for..."nothing is impossible with God."  I do like to call God "Great Spirit" because it is a name that encompasses both the male and female nature of our Creator.

I think that evolution happens in fits and starts...and still does. So sad that some beautiful species have become extinct as a result of human carelessness.

just my 2 cents

I like the way you expressed that.

Logic of science in one of it's simplest forms!
              Cause and affect!   Something causes everything that happens.

When something happens ...  there will always be an affect.

When we intelectualize this too much; it becomes difficult to understand.

No - it is real simple to understand. I Think what you mean is - when you think about it - your beliefs are impossible. lol

What caused god? Seeing as something causes everything that happens?  wink

Can you name one thing that didn't have a cause  or one thing that doesn't have an affect?

You are claiming there is one - not I.

Could you please tell me where I said such a thing?

2. jacharless profile image75
        jacharlessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ha! Marcus. Egregiously erroneous, as always.

You see, I distinctly and deliberately equated Evolution with the present compiled text called biblical. A purpose you so often overlook in angst -perhaps haste- instead of genuine interest.

I did, in fact, say that everything regarding the Theos called evolution must be dismissed, as should the same Theos of many theologies. Why? Simply because "what you know" was predestined. That predestination is presently called your brain, which houses a superbly complex system of light energy, uniquely whizzing amid the seemingly infinite catacombs within that semi solid glucose ball between your ears.
        It is a genetic compilation that insures you "know". The plan for transformation is inevitable. Evolution and theology are both proving that beyond a shadow of any doubt. You seem inept and disturbed by this, for reason, it seems, which only magnifies the point. You do not have-to transform. No sir, you may join the elite "know it all's" in the same location -dust- if you so choose ( innt choice sublime? ).
        I believe evolution calls that survival of the fittest? Transform or nature will transform you -and you may not make it out alive.

Transformation is inevitable. According to the theory, humanity has been evolving since its inception (approximately 250 thousand years; according to the Judaic, a little more than 6000 years). So, according to the Judaic, either you will transform into what you were truly created to be, by exceeding the choices of your assumed evolutionary truth or transform back into the dust (carbon base) your body came from. As your evolution has preset, either you transform according to practically the same as the Judaic mention, else you will be transformed according to natures desire. either way, if you leave it to either mention, you have no control. That "gluconean" mass will stop and melt into "nothingness". Every shred of thought, memory, arc between synapse will never, ever, exist in the present state you have come to exist in, for these x- number of "years". You will, for lack of a better word, become extinct.
        Both the Judaic and the Evolutionary Theories state precisely the same.
        The irony of evolution is brilliant, no?!

Cheerio and pip-pip.

James.

4. Disappearinghead profile image61
    Disappearingheadposted 12 years ago

Ok evolution guy I give in. If God planned it he's stupid and if he didn't he couldn't know what the outcome would be, so he's stupid again. Ah well that just about wraps it up for God then. Let's watch Him disappear in a puff of your logic.

Yes - logic will destroy the idea of a god every time.

Who's logic would that be.    Yours I presume?

I don't own logic. Logic is logic.

2. livelonger profile image85
        livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, not really (maybe specific conceptions of G-d, yes).

Logic would seem to destroy the idea of a universe, too. And yet...

No, logic dictates that what is actually here and measurable is real. There is no concept of god that can exist within a logical frame work.

We already have a word for the one that could - it is called "existence."

1. livelonger profile image85

Yes, I've got that. Given the specificity of your religious upbringing and the way you characterize religious thought, I would argue you do have a very specific concept of G-d in mind.

How does logic account for the universe (i.e. the matter and energy that exist now)?

What do you mean "account," for it. It is measurable and exists. Logically - that is enough.

If you want an explanation that includes "why," or "how," then you need quantum physics.

Yes, I mean everything that's observable should have an origin that is logically consistent with what we know, too. The matter and energy that exist in the universe do not have an origin that logic can explain, and neither can quantum physics.

Origin? Please explain how you know that there was a time when matter and energy did not exist and these "originated," some how.

Quantum physics has a perfectly logical explanation as well.

I don't know anything about it, I'm trying to work through a paradox.

Your explanation that matter and energy have already existed certainly helps keep what we know about existence consistent with the laws that explain other phenomena. But it still does not explain where matter and energy came from. Saying "it's always existed" seems unsatisfactory.

2. Seafarer Mama profile image80
      Seafarer Mamaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One thought: It seems that anyone who wants to witness to a "power greater than ourselves" is more in charge of the world than humanity is has been made fun of and considered stupid...and the entity that we call "God" called these people to be witnesses...and to take risks.

Risk-takers who "succeed" are considered geniuses and Risk-takers who "fail" are considered stupid in society...throughout the ages.

On both accounts...when we put ourselves out there...we take the risk of looking like fools...in the image of the "higher power" who "rules us all" (waxing Tolkein, here :0) ).

My point is....the higher power we call "God" (I call "Great Spirit") doesn't need our approval to exist...or to influence the affairs of the planet.

But yes, I believe that nature does respond to human activity...such as pollution and the diminishing of the ozone later caused by it. Almost as many disasters are human-instigated as there are purely natural ones....so cause and effect has some bearing on the  natural order of things.

How can a scientist of ANY sort deny cause in effect? In schools, the 'rules" of "cause and effect" guide science curriculum on so many levels....and then there is the idea of "correlation" (which does not imply "causation').

Just my 2 cents more.

5. Jerami profile image57
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

You ask  "what caused God"? 

The only answer I have is to say ...  The same thing that caused the "Big Bang" could have just as easily caused God to be.

Which came first  the chicken or the egg?

Now you are saying something caused god?

What was it that caused god Jerami?

You ask the question  ...  then say that I asked the question.

I just ask what caused the "Big Bang"

It that could cause this universe to come into existence, why should it stop there?   Why couldn't it create a God also?

I'm not saying it happened this way.
           Just saying why not?

LOLOLOL

Dear me. sad

Answer the question please. What caused god? Don't bring the big bang into it please. Was it n even bigger n badder god? lol

As you say,   don't keep sidesteping my question.   Why don't YOU answer the question?

What caused the big bang?  That is my answer also.

No wonder your religion causes so many wars Jerami.

I don't know exactly what caused the big bang - or even if it is correct. Current quantum theory does indeed state that the Universe created itself from "nothing" - although not what you would understand as nothing. And we have some extremely good models to show this.

Now - there are plenty of other options as well. The Universe could be eternal - my preference.

Now - please answer the Kwestion instead of simply defending your irrational beliefs. Firing questions at me that you have utterly no intention of listening to or investigating is simply rude.

What caused god? lololo Seeing as everything has a cause?

Are you sying that everything does not have a cause?  You keep insinuating that "I" say that everything has a cause.

I do not know what "caused" God to be.

As I said before;  Whatever your answer is to what caused the universe to be Formed  ....  that is my answer to your question also.

I take it you have not read your majik book Jerami. You have no idea what caused the Universe to form do you? Because we have answers to this question.

Nice to know that you think there was something that existed before god and made this god. I would worship that if I were you.

Oh wait........

What caused that? lol

How many books (not counting texts books) have you read that you agree with EVERYthing that is contained in it?

Any of them ilogy books is what I'm talking about.

Do you believe ALL of any of them?
                      Do you understand and/or agree with ALL of what any of them say?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)