jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Existance of Good or Evil

1. Stone Crow profile image60
    Stone Crowposted 5 years ago

Is there a such a thing as good and evil, or is it just a product of the evolution of civilization?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Good and evil are either defined by God or man.

If by God then there is such a thing.  If defined by man then it would be, as you say, a product of the evolution of civilization.

Does God exist, and has He defined good and evil?

2. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Last time I checked, good and evil are human concepts, so as to navigate a social aspect and interaction among other citizens of humanity.

It's based on harming or not harming of others. Other than that, there's the human conscience which determines right or wrong. However, I'm not sure it has anything to do with evolution.

The only reason a person has a conscience is because they have consciousness(self-awareness). If they didn't have consciousness, then they would have no understanding of right or wrong.

Stone Crowposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Wouldnt the conscience be a byproduct of the sociological concepts of good and evil? And furthermore do these Judeo-Christian beliefs of good and evil contribute to the growing epidemic of  "mental illnesses" as the golden age of organized religion dwindles and we progress too quickly for the pens of the dead to keep up and stifle the birth of new ideas.

1. Cagsil profile image61
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The conscience is a byproduct of consciousness(self-awareness).
        I will agree that religion stifles new ideas which could be beneficial for humanity and in one aspect the beliefs of the individuals who are religious, could be defined as a 'mental' illness. However, more self-awareness and understanding of life would probably fix that. But, religious beliefs are never going to be considered a disease of the mind.

I know several people who have classified it as a disease of the mind, but they are few in number, considering 80% of the world's population has a religious belief of some sort.

Stone Crowposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I was asking if supressing our basic animalistic instincts and painting them as wrong and unnatural contributes to the growing epidemic of mental illnesses. I did enjoy your post, but i believe the development of a conscience was nurture not nature. When our species was in its infantcy do you think we felt bad for bashing our brothers head in with a rock and taking his food?

1. Cagsil profile image61
            Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It could be. I'm not actually knowledgeable with regards to mental illness. Humankind is an animal in it's basic instincts and anyone denying it, wouldn't have knowledge of being human. Suppressing them or anything is dangerous, but that animal instinct could be handled in another manner, other than killing each other.
            Well, that could be true.
            Nope. From what I've learned, for many millions of years, humankind wandered Earth being lead by their sub-conscious and were not aware of their own existence.

Roughly 9000 years ago, human consciousness(self-awareness) began breaking through to the fore-front. wink

3. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 5 years ago

Uh Oh, here we go! smile

working