jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Do you think Islam is too theocentric, I definitely do?

1. 61
    dianaynsn2posted 5 years ago

I have one major contention with Islam and that is that is is too theocentric-in other words, it is not open to other religions. How many islamic groups give or serve the non Islamic  community or mainstream groups. In the West we give to all groups and persuasions, but Muslims give only to other Islamic groups or organisations. This should change. Welcome comments from he Muslim community on this thread.

1. arksys profile image90
      arksysposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Prophet Muhammad - “Feed the hungry and visit a sick person, and free the captive, if he be unjustly confined. Assist any person oppressed, whether Muslim or non-Muslim.”

In the first few chapters of the Quran you will always see "Salah and Zakat" together ... Salah is prayers and zakat is charity ... it never says only for the believers of our faith.

2. thooghun profile image87
    thooghunposted 5 years ago

To a certain degree I agree with you, however I do have a couple of objections:

a) The "west" has vast Muslim minorities that often help both themselves and others. I don't think this is a location-based issue as much as it is a cultural one.

b) Muslim charity does donate and engage in post-emergency care (say an earthquake, tsunami, or whatever else have you). Though admittedly, they are far more likely to respond weightily to disasters in Islamic countries (such as the floods in Pakistan).

3. Zubair Ahmed profile image78
    Zubair Ahmedposted 5 years ago

I am not sure how you arrived at that conclusion that the Muslims do not give to non-Muslims like their Western counterparts.

I beg to disagree with you on that as i know 1st hand that Muslims and Muslim Charity organisation do contribute immensely to Muslim and non-Muslim causes world-wide.

The fact is that it is not publicized as much as the publicity given to Western contribution, much like the contribution Islamic Civilization made to the world, which is largely ignored by the West and to some extent hashed out in history books.

I am a Muslim and know for a fact that all Muslims that I know give to non-Muslim charity causes and help non-muslims wherever and whenever possible.

4. Neverletitgo profile image72
    Neverletitgoposted 5 years ago

Diana, I am totally disagreeing at what you wrote here. There are two things that you need to know before you make judgment. Islam and Muslim, where Islam is religion and Muslim are believers of Islam. You better go back and read how Islam encourage Muslim to give help other Muslims or Non.Muslims. Muslim people had and still have a lot of people who give charity to non-Muslims. Like Muslim Caliphate, Omar used to give welfare his citizens whether they were Muslims or non-Muslims. Please read Islamic history and believe before you judge. Finally, I am telling you that publicizing charity is not allowed since it can be show off. Sometimes it may be allowed to encourage other in one condition and that is to make sure that you don't to show off.