Have you ever experienced an out of body, near death experience?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (17 posts)
  1. suzettenaples profile image87
    suzettenaplesposted 12 years ago

I have.  I was ill one evening, having a colitis attact, and my blood pressure plummeted.  I literally died for a few seconds, although it seemed longer than a few seconds to me.  I literally, or my soul perhaps, was outside my body watching myself and at the same time I saw the blinding white light and was lifted toward it.  All the physical and emotional pain I have ever felt, left my body and I felt a peace I have never experience before or since this event.  I was lifted toward the light so far and then I felt myself falling back away from it.  I was trying so hard not to, and yearning to go forward and meet the beautiful light.  But, alas, it was not to be.  I re-entered my body and here I am today.  I remember being so disappointed in not making it all the way to the light.  From that day forward, I have never had any fear of death.  To me death is a beautiful, peaceful experience bathed in a white light.  Now, I can just imagine the people out there who are going to say I'm a nut case.  But, has anything like this ever happened to any of you?

1. dragnhaze profile image61
      dragnhazeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am unsure if my experience was a near death or a psychic death, but what caused my illness was a very rare form of pneumonia called Mycoplasma pneumonia.  You can read about my experience here:  http://dragnhaze.hubpages.com/hub/A-Meeting-With-Death

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I'm not going to trample on your experience, however, I'm sure that it's not exactly as you have attributed it and can be explained. But, I'm going to leave it alone, because I'm sure other people are going to come by your thread and post other things(similar experiences) as well.

I'll just say it's interesting. wink

3. suzettenaples profile image87
    suzettenaplesposted 12 years ago

How do you attribute it then, or what do you attribute it to?  I am really interested in your thoughts, because I wasn't even on any drugs that night.  I truly am describing what I experienced that night, and I chalked it up to a near death experience.  Really, you would not be trampling on my experience to give me your opinion.  I guess that's why I am asking if something like this has ever happened to anyone else.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would attribute it to you losing consciousness(your awareness of life) and skating on your sub-consciousness. You simply took a walk within yourself.
      I'm sorry, but at first read, I laughed out loud at this sentence. lol
      It could have been a near death experience, considering your physical characteristics were described in your OP. But, try to remember, if you were truly dead, then you would have come back without any memory of the experience, because memory ceases to function when you are brain dead. If there were no brain activity at all, then you wouldn't have any recollection of what happened.
      I've experienced sub-conscious walking, I used to practice it when I was younger. I would lower my heart rate as much as I could, tune out the known world and learn about myself. I guess you could see it as a form of meditation, but I have no knowledge nor have I ever studied any form of meditation, it was just something I would do from time to time.

There's a saying many people are forever saying- " I don't know what I know", because they have the understanding that the sub-conscious gather information from all different sources, even though you are not physically aware that you know it. So, I would try to teach myself of things I didn't know(consciously) by learning from my sub-conscious(things it gathered).

I hope that was clearly stated. wink

suzettenaplesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for sharing that.  It really makes sense to me.  You are right, I would be brain dead if I truly died, of course, I did say near death experience.  I'll bet my in my subconscious  that is how I picture or think of death, may be?  Wow!  what a subconscious I have.  You know, I do meditate and I just never equated it with that.  And there have been two times when I meditated that I hit a transcendental state.  I didn't stop to notice my heart rate when that happened.  That's why I love to meditate - I try for that transcendental state - it is such a wonderful feeling and experience.  I've never talked about this "near death experience" with anyone before, so this is the first insight and information I've gathered on this experience.  Thanks so much!

Also, "taking a walk within myself. . ."  I really like that.  That is such a cool thought.  I say that saying all the time, too,  "I don't know what I don't know.
          You are such an interesting person/cat, whatever.

Thank you kindly. You honored me with your words. smile big_smile

2. Cagsil profile image71

I've not had a near death experience. I was in a motorcycle accident once that left me on the ground unconscious. From what I had been told, the police officers onsite could not tell whether or not I was dead or alive, by looking at my body.

The paramedics that showed up shortly afterward, learned I was still alive, but the only memory I have is of two seconds before the crash and then waking up in the emergency room at the hospital, with a doctor playing with my right hand. I have to say playing and it might sounds strange, but I cannot say it any other way, because my right wrist imploded upon impact with the car I hit and all the nerve endings in my wrist were ripped to shreds. So, I couldn't feel the doctor's hand, but when I opened my eyes, he had it in his hands. Hence, why I say he was "playing" with it.

And, You're welcome. I'm glad it made sense.

1. lone77star profile image73
            lone77starposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ouch, Cags. I hope you got your feeling back in your hand.

2. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You say you were sick and died for a few seconds? How is it that you remained cognitive enough to record such an event with lucidity? Obviously, you didn't and your brain hallucinated due to lack of oxygen.

4. profile image55
    qiupeizhiposted 12 years ago

One time I went swimming, was flooded, and it feels really close to death

5. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

No "near death" experiences, but I've had out-of-body experiences. All of them did not involve any trauma or drugs. The most startling included full visual perception of color and details -- as clear as anything seen with my Homo sapiens eyes.

It occurred during spiritual counseling (Scientology) about 1971. It was during something called "Power Processing," and was it ever powerful. Knocked me right out of my body... or perhaps more accurately, allowed me to exit for a few moments.

What is interesting is that the thing which ended the spiritual walkabout was the realization that I was not casting a shadow on the building next to which I was floating.

During the incident, I could not feel my body at all. I was completely disconnected -- at least by feeling.

That was in Los Angeles. A year later, I had moved to Phoenix, Arizona, and there I met a friend of my late father's. He was a senior citizen with pure white hair and an apartment full of archaeological finds (bones, Native American arrowheads, etc). During the mid 50's he'd been part of a research group who had investigate what would later be called "remote viewing." And he was apparently very good at it, including being able to read the spines of the books in an adjacent room in which he had never been, physically.

Things like this tend to prove that we are inherently spiritual beings. The fact that some don't experience such things is certainly not disproof and may only reflect their current spiritual state (a more profound spiritual sleep, perhaps).

lonestar 77:Your experience is very interesting.  My experience also was floating above and looking down at myself.  It is strangest experience I've ever had, yet exilerating at the same time.  I've never spoken about it before to anyone, but thought it might be interesting to through out here.
      Thanks for your input.  I don't feel so strange now knowing others have had similar thought different experiences.  The spiritual realm is so wide open to interpretation.

qiupeizhi:  I'm glad you didn't drown and are here to answer this question.Any weird sensations or out of body experience when this happened?  Also, another question for you:  What does your name tag mean?  Is there a special significance  to it?

Cagsil:  I'm certainly glad you are here also to tell us about it.  That is interestiing, too, that you could watch yourself or a part of yourself.  Please be careful on that motorcycle if you still ride and please wear a helmet.  I never thought of myself as a " spiritual person "until hearing what you all have to say.  I'm not trying to add labels to myself or anyone else, but I guess it is a side of me I didn't realize I have.

I haven't rode a motorcycle since the accident, but also not been in a position to have the money to buy another. And, I always wear a full-face helmet. I don't think it's safe not to do so.

The human consciousness isn't something to be deemed spiritual, because it's not. This is one of the main reasons that mysticism, a.k.a. spirituality was deemed irrational and intellectually dishonest. Why? Because it doesn't exist to begin with.

Everything that was originally spiritual or appeared as spiritual in the beginnings of humankind has been revealed to be consciousness(awareness of life and the sub-conscious).

I'm sorry, but it's truth.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)