Does religion cause anger and problems to individuals lives?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (43 posts)
  1. lyns profile image71
    lynsposted 12 years ago

Why is it that religion has such a great impact on the entire world?,
    is it fiction ?
    or is it reality?

1. S M Bilal Shah profile image60
      S M Bilal Shahposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The fiction or reality part will & can never be answered unanimously and for sure.
      As for the impact......We humans are curious by nature, religion provides us with answers (true or not) that nobody else does. It gives us something to believe in and to look forward to. It gives its followers a reason, it rescues them from confusion, which we humans just cant stand (confusion), regarding all the log standing questions.

2. Shinkicker profile image54
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Because people feel the need to congregate and they feel the need to congregate because they ain't got enough faith in their faith and need the reassurance of like-minded delusionals as themselves.

Maybe fiction, maybe reality. We just don't know. Great way to make money though. Fear and uncertainty  really sell.

Religion should be treated like your favourite perversion. Enjoy it yourself, enjoy it in private with a consenting adult but whatever you do don't practice it in public and certainly don't force it on other people.

3. S M Bilal Shah profile image60

One of our biggest fears is dying....perishing absolutely like every other living thing. Somehow we believe ourselves to be special & religion promises an after life and a larger than life reason for our existence. Whether this all is true or not, its an individual's choice.

4. Slarty O'Brian profile image80
      Slarty O'Brianposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is both fiction and reality. That is to say it is a model of reality. All models include reality and are shaped by facts.

I'll give an example: Say someone says that the moon puts eggs under chickens at night as a food source specifically for humans.

The facts are that if you have chickens, in the morning you often find eggs under them, and humans do eat them.

The model tries to explain the facts, but of course in this example the explanation is wrong even  though it matches and includes the facts.

chickens lay eggs, we eat them, but they are not for us specifically, they are the reproduction method of chickens, and the moon has nothing to do with it.

However, if we didn't know that, the moon theory would be as good a working model as any.

Science works with a lot of "working models." But it recognizes and often emphasizes that they are just models and the explanations or interpretations of the facts the model include are probably not accurate.

Religion is also a model. Humans suffer and die and we want an explanation. Religion tells us get right with god and all will be well. Natural philosophy tells us get right with cause and effect and all will be well.
      Buddhism tells us to give up material wants and all will be well. The list goes on.

So religion is both fact and fiction. Believing your model is the actual explanation and the whole t ruth is the problem. Truth is that most models will work for you because they contain truth as part of the model. The human condition does not change. It is model independent..

My advice is, study the patterns and the facts. Don't take the models and the interpretations seriously.

5. aka-dj profile image64
      aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your title differs from your post in subject.
      Are you asking about individuals, and the effect religion has on their personal lives, or how religion affects society?

In either case, the religion/philosophy that each person chooses to live by, will affect the world around them. Either for good, or bad.

In all cases, it's the person acting out in society that is the issue.
      If the religion is merely words on a page in some holy book, it is completely harmless.
      It's people "activating" the teachings that is the key.

1. lyns profile image71
        lynsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@aka-dj: I am speaking of individuals lives entirely in different families it seems that it is so many religions and that just the subject causes so much debate and confusion along with the fact of some st cults.

So your saying that it's not the word religion but what being taught by the organization and since it's so many do you feel that's the problem as well?
        replyless ←

2. SpanStar profile image60
        SpanStarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very good comments

6. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes it creates conflict within individual, because it forces them to fight with themselves.

Yes it create conflict outside the individual, because it causes intolerance and ignorance within others who then take it out on others.

7. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For me its reality. For others it is fiction. I don't believe it causes any problems for many on a personal level. But for those who over step there boundaries with those who believe its fiction. Then friction is created among the masses. I believe there is God and God has created all things. I am also happy that God is a part of my life. If many of us would show the love God has instead of showing the darkside of man, then those who do not believe may be more apt to listen. smile

8. lizzieBoo profile image60
      lizzieBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Here's a question. I'd like to know what single thing doesn't cause friction in the world?

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Religion is a reality. What it is based on cannot be proven fact, or fiction; so it can only be viewed as fiction when making rational decisions.

And religion's impact on the world has been both positive and negative, depending on whether people are willing to accept responsibility for their own actions, or not. Assuming violence, hatred and bigotry pleases a deity has been religion's worst downfall.

3. recommend1 profile image61
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

Religion causes violent division both personally and in the whole of society, the sooner it becomes proscribed by law to talk a crock of total twaddle to incite people to believe in such nonsense the better.  I am coming to the conclusion that the sooner all religionists are consumed in the wars they cause the better, except for my Mum.

4. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 12 years ago

I find it interesting that so much evil is blamed on Religion when over time I've heard time and time again that a number of people found religion After Being Sent To Prison-After, so that would have made them Non-Believers.

1. lyns profile image71

@SpanStar:  religions, some are questionable? because some has actually changed people for good, others?? anyway it seems that some Religions are actually doing good for society,  while others can cause problems which in turn creates problems for those that are actually doing right...what do you think

5. S M Bilal Shah profile image60
    S M Bilal Shahposted 12 years ago

As I said, it provides one with answers, regarding oneself & about almost everything else. It gives a sense of purpose and most importantly hope. Religion rightly said so, is the greatest seduction. But is it right or not and if right then which one in particular....I can't say.

1. SpanStar profile image60

S M Bilal Shah,

True religion is a personal choice and we must decide for ourselves but people need to know what they are looking for in terms of their believe but as many authorities in the field of religion point to what religion believe is asking of them for example: "follow me without question" well maybe that's not so good and people will want to label Christainity that way but the truth about Christian is you can choose not to believe, not to accept the teachings of God- you are free to choose and if a Christian program is not allowing that then they are not following the Christian doctrine.

6. S M Bilal Shah profile image60

I'm not an expert about Christianity, I'm a muslim, not an expert there either, but I'll take Islam as the case. Although in major religions like Islam there are further divisions so varying in the most basics that it can become a madhouse. But I believe that Islam or any other religion does demand absolute submission and has boundaries for questioning and if some1 has a problem with those, uncertainty regarding its basic tenants then instead of creating a niche for oneself in there while still trying to retain the association with that particular religion just for the sake of convenience, peer pressure or fear of banishment etc, if left unsatisfied by one's religion or discontented at its imposed conditions. One must look elsewhere.
    So my reply to you SpanStar would be as is my suggestion to an increasing amount of people these days is, either accept some standard sect of a religion that you feel content with, with no strings attached from your side or just look elsewhere, don't go on believing that one can still subscribe to a religion while disagreeing with its deity once a while. That approach is not honest to oneself. Sadly I can also complain about such practice to myself, this is why I remain discontent.

1. SpanStar profile image60

I do not wish to sway you from your point of view if what you see or seek meets with your expectations then so be it.

My point about not believing is saying my faith gives people the choice to believe or not believe.

7. lyns profile image71
    lynsposted 12 years ago

@ Sharty:  religion some are questionable, but I believe there is a God and being the has created us all look at the things around us who is controlling it all who created it all, like the
    Sun, Moon, Stars, Trees,
    flowers,
    Animals, i
    insects( various kinds), etc....
    something created it all, not man?
    Why were they created? have you ever wondered this?
    in addition the sun that rises and goes down who is controlling this?, I believe there is a God, but different religions, is questionable, how about you?

1. Cagsil profile image70

And beliefs like that denies what is already known to humankind. Ye of little faith in humankind.

1. lyns profile image71

@cagsil, believes as what in human kind? can you explain a little more what you are addressing, ?? thank you

Are you asking me to dissect your post I responded to? If so, then I'll do so.

1. lyns profile image71

@cagsil,  can you be a littler clear with the comment  below: thanks

And beliefs like that denies what is already known to humankind. Ye of little faith in humankind.

Which would me to dissect your original post I responded to, so I guess I will.

2. Cagsil profile image70

Yes, something did create it. It was done through Evolution and the Existence of the Universe.
      This is a question that never needs to be answered.
      Yes, I have wondered it. Then I gained knowledge(including experiences) and discerned the knowledge(including experiences) into wisdom(truth).

Wisdom brings forth a truth- Yes there are tons of questions and yes all questions do have answers. However, there are at times when the answer to a question is actually that the question doesn't ever need to be answered.
      The Sun doesn't move. It's Earth moving. Controlled by gravity.

You have little faith in humankind can figure out anything for itself. When there is already a vast amount of knowledge which explain how things work. Many questions with regards "why"? can be addressed, if you're interested and open minded. But, as I already said, please remember that which I said about questions.

1. lyns profile image71

thanks for the explanation....

You're welcome. smile

8. S M Bilal Shah profile image60

As a student of astronomy & cosmology, like the philosophers of pagan Greece, like Socrates & Antisthenes etc I have come to the conclusion that yes there must be a creator logically for everything to exist & the amazing physics that goes on behind the entire system, that just can't be all by itself done to such perfection. Nothing can exist all by itself, even for evolution there has got to be a beginning.
    We humans Mr. Cagsil know very little still & whatever we know already is always up for debate.
    But again which religion......idk.

Perfection? What's perfection, but an illusion. It's logical that a creator exists? Sure, if you talking about things that are within time and space, and reality. If you're talking about something outside of that, then no.
      Cause and effect rules are what you're talking about and a supernatural being such as a god isn't required for cause and effect to take place, but does negate cause and effect.
      It's always up for debate, sure. But, it isn't subjected to idiotic theories of a god.
      None of them.

Yes I believe perfection is an abstract concept. Do you know what is outside time, space & reality? Cause & effect, yes all these processes are cyclic, one triggers another, but logically there has got to be a "start" a triggering force. All that has taken the "intelligent" human race to understand millenia & is still far from consummation, do you think would have happened just by chance or have you seen some hit & trial method in nature? The incredible balances the complex processes...

Anyhow for you I'd say the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, so have patience. I personally try not to disregard something just because it seems "idiotic" to me because I don't find myself wise enough to judge.

Suggesting anything is outside time and space, and reality is pure stupidity, considering everything has to follow the cause and effect rules. Nothing can exist outside those rules.
          And, your point? Or do you like to read your own writing(listen to yourself talk)?
          lol lol All the knowledge presently available to humankind, and this is the best you come up with? Goes to show you know nothing about the Universe, which isn't already learned.
          Get real. There's already plenty of proof that dismisses any probability or possibility of a god in existence. It's only the gullible who refuse to admit it to themselves.
          Then please don't ever be on a jury trial. You won't know what to do. As for myself, understanding my life is pretty damn easy. Too bad you don't understand yours. lol

2. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've been enjoying your posts and would like to ask what made you come to that conclusion considering you're a student of astronomy and cosmology? Do the theories of those sciences not adequately and logically explain everything without the need for a creator?

@ A Troubled Man: They consist of "theories", even science isn't so quick on believing just about anything. All that we believe is based on observations & assumptions what gets proven sufficiently becomes a law, but then there are exceptions to those laws too. Even as we speak we are not a 100% sure about the authenticity of the big bang, we are unsure about the limits, ending, uniqueness & the origins of ourselves and the universe. We can explain processes & phenomena thats the best we can do. I think if any science will be able to answer questions related to God, it'll be Physics through cosmology, which as of yet doesn't (if the big bang was what really happened, then we don't really know what was there before it or even a few moments after it). Those who don't understand these sciences in depth are the quickest ones to proclaim faith in them.
        I think if anything can be of help in this case is philosophy......and philosophically/logically I'm not the only one to have come to the conclusion that yes there must be a creator. I don't expect others to follow my conclusions, I just want them to think, live & let live.

9. S M Bilal Shah profile image60

I think you need to try to be less ignorant, have an open mind and before being so big on determinism try looking at its shortcomings and coming up with the answer to the question of the first cause.
    Anything outside time and space is what you implied & yes time is relative, while you are going through causality also try basics of special relativity.
    Thats however the end of it for me, I wish you luck, tolerance & virtue in such matters and in life. Bye.

WOW! Again, you show off your inability to understand knowledge already in existence. Good show on you. As for calling me ignorant, yes I am in certain aspects, but not this one, but nice try. You want to defend your belief in a god that is already improbable and impossible. Then just say so.
      Again, you show your inability to understand the world around you. Good show.
      You were done before you got started. lol

10. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

Does religion cause anger and problems to individuals lives?

Truthful Religion creates patience in a believer; and if correctly understood it will not create any problem to an individual.

11. lyns profile image71
    lynsposted 12 years ago

@ S M Bilal Shah, You are absolutely right..., there is a creator just the mire fact that we lives shows that....

1. lyns profile image71

Regarding which is right?  Consider the King James Version of the Bible the following Scripture

James 1:27 KJV  James Chapter 1 Verse 27
      Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

12. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

jes, first and last. Tired.

13. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

HP gets a +1

(re: not letting html convert)

14. asmaiftikhar profile image80
    asmaiftikharposted 12 years ago

A man without religion is the man of circumstances,for me religion is the name of peace for mind,soul and society.so its impossible that religion religion cause anger.

1. lyns profile image71

@asmaiftikhar, thanks for your input because it does depend on what religion and the teachings, pure religion brings peace, hope, love, joy, and a close relationship to the creator.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)