jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Testament vs Convenat

1. twobmad profile image58
    twobmadposted 5 years ago

Can anybody briefly about the difference between these two terms "Testament" and Covenant. I wonder why we call it Old and New testament which gives the same/similar meaning as of the "covenant" but not New Covenant or Old Covenant in the Bible.

2. must65gt profile image81
    must65gtposted 5 years ago

Your question deals with two different facets. The Testaments, Old and new relate to the books of the bible, providing and helping us to implement Gods laws, why they were derived, and our responsibilities regarding them. The "Covenants” relate to the promises of God to his people. The Old was God's covenant with man from Abraham, Isaac and David. But under the old laws, and with the corruption of sin God new that man would not able to reach the promised land, because of the iniquity within man's heart.  The Old Testament promises man salvation through the son of man handed down from God. The New testament is the fulfillment of Gods promise in the birth, death and resurrection of Christ.

1. twobmad profile image58
      twobmadposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank you very much @must65gt. Your answers are very helpful. The reason why I asked this question is that as I am not a native English speaker I am confused about the two different words Testament and Covenant which convey possibly same meaning. So I wonder if you could do me further favor to explain the meaning of Testament in English? put simply as you understand. Thank you in advance.

1. liftandsoar profile image82
        liftandsoarposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Good answer must65gt.   I would add that regarding covenant there are only two covenants.  The covenant of works or creation which became obsolete the moment Adam and Eve sinned.  Then the covenant of grace which began to be revealed at Genesis 3:15.  Thereafter in Scripture is a process of revealing the covenant of grace which is finally fulfilled in Christ.  When the Scriptures speak of new covenant, read fulfilled covenant.

1. liftandsoar profile image82
          liftandsoarposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Regarding testament it refers to witness or testify.  The Scriptures are not our God but witness to Him.  Thus the word testament.

working