Sleeping for 30 hours is a great deed, Indeed!!

1. 0
    jomineposted 5 years ago

Jesus is supposed to die on Friday evening and got up Sunday early morning. Then why the Christians say he was dead for three days(three days and night)?
    Getting after 30-40hrs, if can be called death, there are many head injury patients(who do it unwillingly) and Indian sages(can do it willingly), who can do the same feat, are they all god? If I manage to sleep for the said time, will I be god?
    Or what do they mean by "death"?
    How did this god "die"?

1. ronhi profile image82
      ronhiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

first question:  Like in any literary work, you cant interpret the Bible accurately without understanding the culture in which it was written. The bible was written in the context of the Jewish culture. For the jewish  people of that time, days began at sunset (It is still so today as can be seen in how they observe the "Shabbat"). This means our Saturday night was sunday for them. The Jews also used  what is today called inclusive reasoning. It means that any part of the day is considered to be a full day. Using these counting methods, a backward calculation from Sunday morning to Friday afternoon makes three days.

Second Question: There was a stone that was rolled  in the Jewish customary fashion to close the tomb. Such a stone could not be rolled away by one person- especially one that had been asleep for 30 hours- It was the same power that raised Him from the dead that rolled the stone away

1. 0
        jomineposted 5 years ago in reply to this

For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. Mathew 12:40
        And if Saturday night is Sunday, then Friday and Saturday together make only 2 days. Friday evening to saturday evening one day and he didn't wait for sunday day break!!.

This is irrelevant, my question was 'What is "DEATH"'?
        If you get up after 3 days, is that death?
        If the the father and son is the same person, who died, who raised from dead?
        Where exactly is this tomb(Calvary), where is it?
        And if you can answer, Who first saw Jesus after his resurrection?