Why is there something, and not nothing?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (121 posts)
  1. Slarty O'Brian profile image77
    Slarty O'Brianposted 12 years ago

I'm interested in your thoughts. Not how. I'm not interested in the idea that a god did it or not. I am interested in your thoughts on why there is something instead of nothing.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image77
      DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can't answer this. The material had to have always been here. If there was nothing, then well..this question wouldn't exists. smile

Slarty O'Brianposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Quite right,

2. Slarty O'Brian profile image77

In a real way you did answer it. The question is meaningless because existence must be the default. There is no purpose for something coming in to being if it has always existed. It has just always existed.

2. Ehnaira05 profile image61
      Ehnaira05posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I live because I see the thought I knew was right but with this question I prefer to remain silent.

Goodday!

3. shop online fast profile image61
      shop online fastposted 12 years agoin reply to this

great question

i don't want to sound too corny, but

if i say to you turn left and then make another left, then essentially i'll be sending you back to where you're coming from

left and left cancels each other

Not suggests negative
      Nothing suggests negative

a negative and another negative cancels each other
      that's why you cannot say Not Nothing

Usually they do, but I think I found one here that does not. The not is part of a comparison. This not that.: a thing. as opposed to no thing. So the not is just a way of saying "as opposed to."

Anyway, I am using two different negatives. doesn't that count? I mean two exact opposites cancel out, but that would mean an equal and opposite  negative and positive should cancel out, not two negatives. lol...

Two negatives make a positive. I did not not go to the store. So therefore I went. Right?

Speaking of right,, using the above rationale, wouldn't two wrongs make a right? Or is that two lefts? wink

1. shop online fast profile image61

Do 2 wrongs make a right?  No.  Cancellation only applies to negative or positive statements.  A wrong or an Incorrect statement is just a lie or a misunderstanding.

Well if I tell you I am a lier and then tell you lied about being a lier just to prove that I am. Am I a lier or not?

Yes, that would make you a liar.  If you told the truth and said it was a lie, then either way you told a lie some where.   If you were to say that you're a liar, and then said you lied about being a liar, then some where there you told a lie.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
                Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Tried to ignore this ,but decided not too

Its spelled Liar smile

Oop! I neglected to do a spell check

Is ok ,I am the same ,feel free to correct my bloopers wink

2. shop online fast profile image61

You typed the word TOO instead of TO

Looks ok?

3. Slarty O'Brian profile image77

There is no place in Belgium named Liar. I
                  m quite sure it is Lier. lol..

lol

Foxes have ...?

I just had to scribble down the word peeble,because it looked wrong in my head.

Should probably go to bed and quit while I'm ahead.

4. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That something is the Creator God; He is the First and the Last.

What creator god might that be?

5. Sneha Sunny profile image86
      Sneha Sunnyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, whatever be the reason but I think something is better than nothing.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I like this question. smile

“Nature abhors a vacuum.” I do not know why. smile

3. profile image0
    RookerySpoonerposted 12 years ago

There was nothing before there was something.  The Big Bang, brought everything, including matter, energy, light and time etc into being approximately 15 billion years ago.  The nothingness which existed, or rather didn't exist was not the blackness of space, because that also came into being with the Big Bang.  The question of what existed before the Big Bang does not really make sense, because there was nothing before.  And the question of how long this nothing had existed does not make sense, because there was no time for nothing to exist in.  But for some reason, and no one really knows why, something did arise out of nothing, and a fraction of a billionth of a second later, that something exploded to create the universe.  Apparently though this explosion was without sound.

I am not sure I completely agree with the Big Bang theory as it is currently understood. If there was absolutely nothing, what caused the big bang to happen. There had to be something.

1. A Troubled Man profile image60
        A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Big Bang does not explain what caused it but instead what happened after the cause.

Yes, I know.

I was more refering to some of the theories associated to the Big Bang. That it came from nothing.

To be honest, I don't think I know theory well enough to really discuss it much.

2. profile image0
          RookerySpoonerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I may be wrong, but I personally doubt any empirical evidence will ever be forthcoming to explain why the Big Bang happened.  Science can create wonderful theories, which make some sort of logical sense, at least to scientists, who understand these things.  However, as it is not possible to travel physically back in time to the Big Bang, theories will probably all they will ever be.  And for most of us, trying to imagine a time when there was no time and a place when there was no place makes little sense.  The mind has not evolved enough to be able to comprehend such ideas. 

Some scientists now theorise that there is in fact not one universe, but many, maybe an infinity of universes, all created by their own Big Bangs, but again, proving such theories will not be possible.  The human mind wants answers to the unanswerable, and if it cannot find those answers, it necessarily needs to create them.  I certainly don't believe in a creator, but nevertheless recognise that to such ultimate questions, even science may never know the answers for certain.  However, I can understand why people believe that using God to explain the cause provides an acceptable answer.  But for me, this just raises the question of where God came from.  Has He always existed, if not when did He come into being?  So whatever we choose to believe about the origins of the universe, we should all recognise that there is little evidence for any of it.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
            Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hence, my unproven and unsubstantiated theory. We haven't got a bloody clue, which is why we're constantly looking for answers and constantly trying to fathom the meaning of life.

1. profile image0

And it is why we argue with those who have a different view of life to ourselves.  Our brain constructs an understanding of reality, and it is confused when it encounters people, who have brains which have views that are completely alien to our own.  To our brains, there is only one reality, and they assume others can only see things in the same way.  To realise that they don't can shock the brain, and in order to maintain its own constructs, it must argue the point, in the hope that others will come around to our way of thinking.  By doing so, we hope to convince ourselves.  But others are equally unwilling to let go of their own constructs.  Coming onto online forums and arguing with strangers, is all part of our attempt to convince ourselves of the rightness of our views.

i don't believe my views are right RS. I do have views, regarding spirituality. But, I do not ask others to accept them. Generally, I think I'm a tolerant person where religious views are concerned, but I'm finding more and more, people want, not for me to consider their views, but completely accept them. This irritates me.

2. profile image0

Got it, that footage also calmed me down. So thank you smile

2. Cagsil profile image70
              Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Hollie, are you serious? Haven't you figured out the meaning of life? I thought that was kid's stuff. lol

Raspberry, now I'm arguing in religious forums which I vowed to stay out of. mad

1. Cagsil profile image70

mad mad

had there ever been nothing there would be nothing now.

Also there was no explosion. Theory is rapid expansion, not explosion.

4. profile image51

That is one reason why one believes in the Creator God.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

bump

5. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Because energy exists. It had to do something. It couldn't simply sit around twiddling its thumbs for an eternity. It got bored.

1. profile image0

But energy didn't exist before the Big Bang.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Were you there? Seriously. We speculate. Sorry, the whole idea of something from nothing is ludicrous. Something might not have inhabited the area we call the universe now, but if the Big Bang pans out; that which was the beginning came from somewhere else. It didn't magically appear.

We may never know the answer, but the Big Bang is simply another creation story to me.

Not so. The theory is that the singularity was all the energy/mass now in the universe in an almost infinitely compressed form. Like a super black hole.

You may be thinking of atoms, not energy. Even were that energy potential it was still there. There is no theory of something from nothing coming from science.

Now, they may say it is something from nothing because that is the way some scientists like Hawking have used the phrase. But the nothing they are talking about is potential energy, not nothing.

Big bang is in serious trouble this year anyway. Earlier there were discoveries made that make it unlikely that it happened the way we thought. The entire idea may be scrapped or seriously revised.

Penrose and others are working on a different theory all together, We will see. But the Penrose model would make our universe without beginning.

Again, we will see.

1. profile image0

Without beginning? Yes, well that makes perfect sense. roll

It might. wink

1. profile image0

Yes, and pigs might fly over strawberry fields. Forever.

Tell me why there has to be  beginning?

1. Quilligrapher profile image74
                  Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Was it Carl Sagen who said humans were limiting their understanding of the universe by thinking all things must have a beginning and an end? He just might have been right.

Carl was probably right about a lot of things. wink

2. profile image0

More likely slarty; it might not. I get the atheist's dash to find a way around the conundrum. I simply don't feel the need to make up something bizarre, in order to convince myself I'm right about the nonexistence of a god.

If we ever reach the point where we know all that there is to know, we aren't guessing and we state, without a doubt, that existence  has always existed. I'll say 'cool'. Until that time, I have my doubts.

What conundrum? So you are saying you think something came from nothing? Or that there has to be a god that has always existed? And you don't think either of those ideas are far fetched?

i don't know that Penrose is an atheist. He just has a theory based on the same data everyone has, background radiation.

The BB wouldn't necessarily be a beginning anyway. At least not THE beginning. Only the begining of this universe. Again, all energy/mass would have been in the singularity.

Fact is, something always existed. You have a choice of what that was but we can't argue about the fact that if that were not the case nothing would exist now.

All I am doing is observing that energy/mass, due it's nature and the fact that it can not be created or destroyed, is the likely candidate. It has the virtue of actually being, where as a god is speculative at best.

So we create a model from what we actually know is fact. The model may still be wrong, but the facts it contains are not.

So for now, until there is evidence to the contrary, the energy/mass model of something that has always existed rather than the god model seems the most rational choice.

I'm not saying you should believe it. I don't put any faith in it either.  I just think that it is the most rational model we have at the moment.

1. profile image0

Yes I do consider the others far fetched, but a simple atheistic statement of     ' existence exists' is foolish too. I don't see how it is a claim any different from the other two. It is still something from nothing.

I don't think any rational person didn't already assume that. The Big Bang sounds exactly like the creation story, just with a modern twist..

How, exactly, is that different from the god model? It is still speaking of omnipresence. Something that existed outside of our understanding of this space and time, and has always existed. It implies omnipotence. Something that created the singularity. It implies a level of omniscience. It points to a different understanding of the concept of god. Are you willing to accept that?

So, you are saying there is a god that is beyond our ability to find an understanding of. Gotcha.

"How, exactly, is that different from the god model? It is still speaking of omnipresence. Something that existed outside of our understanding of this space and time, and has always existed. It implies omnipotence. Something that created the singularity. It implies a level of omniscience. It points to a different understanding of the concept of god. Are you willing to accept that?"

Very astute. Yes it is the same as the god model, but the difference  is that the nature of energy/mass is not a conscious being. But it does not imply omnipotence.  It also does not imply that the nature energy/mass created the singularity, it implies that it was in the state of singularity.

In fact it never left it. BB theory implies that the event is on going. This, what you are living in, is the singularity in an expanded form.

I think since there are thousands of gods which man has worshiped, the one thing they can all agree on is that whatever created or produced us is the basic definition of god. But if that god is a process and not a being, it makes a world difference.

"So, you are saying there is a god that is beyond our ability to find an understanding of. Gotcha."

Don't got me. lol... No, I did not imply that let alone say it. I am saying that  even though we are all human and we perceive the world in similar but different ways, the underlying reality shines through.

Concepts like god have a basis in reality even if they are metaphor. And most likely they are all metaphor. That is why it is important that we have science to sort some of those metaphors out and bring them in to the light of reason.

We can know a lot about the universe and how it works. Perhaps someday we will know everything. But not today.

I am just postulating the idea that the nature of existence itself is what has been mistaken for god. We know a lot about god if that's what it is, and those like Pantheists who believe this to be the case can at least prove their version of god exists. lol...

2. profile image0
          jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Energy is the capacity of a physical system to perform work.

How do you compress capacity to create matter?

Well that's an interesting question. The funny thing  is energy is not just capacity to perform work. It's a little more complicated than that. Energy and mass are the same thing in different form. You may have heard of E=mc squared.

1. profile image0

Unfortunately where ever I looked that was the definition. None of them mention "complicated"

So mass is also the ability to do work? Nowhere I could find a definition for mass, everybody has some idea but nobody has any definite knowledge.
              As far as I know both are concepts. So you can also say love=justice/L(root), L being Avogadro constant.

I just did a hub on it if you are interested.

2. A Troubled Man profile image60

A piano has mass, hence it is only a concept, until one falls on you and it then becomes a completely different concept. lol

I often advise people who think energy is just a concept to stick their finger in a socket. wink

Never tell a Kiwi that lol where the power is 220V...roll

2. profile image0

A piano has matter and in consequence of gravity, weight. If I'm in outer space, what happens to your mass? May be your mass is afraid of darkness!! lol

3. profile image0

Sorry to say it is a poor explanation of BB theory.

6. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

Music break

"And now for something completely different." lol...

Sorry my bad ,just playin over here in the corner with new smilies -->

Beam me up scotty

1. profile image0

Methinks cagsil has created a monster. smile

7. lone77star profile image74
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

Not a meaningless question, Slarty.

This is a good question, but the profound answer seems to be ignored.

Creation!

1. Cagsil profile image70

That's actually not so profound, but more like ridiculous. lol

That's not the answer Lone77star, it's just a guess.

3. profile image0

Creation, meaning created by God, I assume.  This is not actually an answer, but another question.  Using God as an explanation, simply begs the question from where did God originate?  Did He have a beginning, like the universe, or has He always existed?  Either way, it throws up more questions than answers.

1. profile image51

It is not a valid question to ask "where did God originate". By definition the Creator God is the being who has always been on His own; He always existed otherwise nothing ever existed; we owe our existence from Him.

1. profile image0

I was forgetting that to question God is not valid.  There are some things that must be above reasoning, and that the human desire to know must be put to one side as far as God is concerned.

1. profile image51

It is the definition of the word "God"; once that definition is accepted it would be wrong to change it. One may say  that nothing ever exists or everything always existed; and that would be wrong as one could see.

1. profile image0

Kindly provide a rational definition.

1. profile image51

The Creator God  is the One; the Independent and Besought of all.
                He begets not, nor is He begotten;  and there is none like Him.

1. profile image0

What did he create? Matter and space is eternal.

What is dependent? 

Not by the atheists nor by animals!!

Impotent may be the correct word, if you are not attributing the creations to god.

Frankly we all are different.
                  Next time give a definition.

8. TKs view profile image62
    TKs viewposted 12 years ago

Love the question.  This is in fact what started me on my quest for answers as a child. I can still remember asking my mom what there was before there was anything. I knew, "nothing" couldn't be right because "nothing" is still a "thing".
    What I've come to for myself is the answer is within us, not in some outside force.  It's called perception. I see no reason "something" and the absense of "something" can't co-exist side by side. What makes this possible to me, is the "thing" is what my attention is caught up in. By freeing my attention from all "things" including the idea of "my", the state of prsense is entered which is the same as latent energy.
    Perhaps we,(as pure consciousness) even move back and forth between these two perceptions more often than we're aware of, being that while in one, the other becomes beyond comprehension.

..Ya got me thinking there (or the caffienes kicked in) lol, but for example what about when we dream...we are not in a conscious state -right? yet our dreams are a mixture of perceieved/imagined/factual.

Fascinating.

1. TKs view profile image62
        TKs viewposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah. It's a concept I have a lot of fun with.
        To go one step further regarding what you said about sleep, what about when we wake up and don't recall any dreams.  No images, no sense of time passing?  We just wake up. Where did "we" go?

..And even if we can remember ,maybe we actually do ,but the part of our brain ,the instant recall part doesnt recall....BUT..I remember reading this article once that talked about this very thing.

Have you ever been somewhere and wondered why you knew it!, that street ,that building  or met someone and thought later ,I feel like Ive met them before..or somehow I know 'this thing' but cannot explain why!

Hey what if when we are awake ,we are really dreaming and vice versa..

I think we percieve nothing initially,but that other part in our brains know there is always something (in the nothing) it just hasnt surfaced yet, or its encrypted lol

Yes, have had the deja-vu experience before.
            I think most of the confusion arises in how we describe "we."
            Many people don't see themselves as anything other than a physical body.  I believe I am a spirit that lives in a body at times.
            And perhaps, because we get a little un-nerved by the thought of nothing, the closer we get to it, the more our brain wants to project a something to fill the perceived emtyness.  Because, more than anything, we fear being alone.

.  Because, more than anything, we fear being alone.

Wouldnt that make a great title for a book!

I agree with you there. And in another way,it is also can be quite a revealing time, spiritual experience.

Okay, I did the title, the rest is up to you.
                I agree, whole-heartedly.
                I've ventured into the dark void on many occasions.  Found it not to be a place of evil, but mostly a respite from the endless bombardment of stim the world of light reflects.
                Amazing how darkness can bring en-light-enment yet in the world of light emtyness can fill us so completely.

Is that a challenge,lol smile

An enlightened mind is a peaceful one for the main part.

Light reveals the obvious(at times) and relevant,but the darkness reveals yet another layer.

It is that stage I am thinking that can also be fragile, for some souls keep drifting-for others,they remain just far enough to be safe.

There is so much that is 'unknown' and its pretty amazing (to me)that even as I write this,my mind is contemplating writing a book lol

Go for it. Then read my hub on self publishing. I'll read it.

2. TKs view profile image62

Consider the gauntlet thrown, tossed and or otherwise flung in your general direction.  You good with splitting the profits 50-50? I mean, coming up with the title was hard work and all.

I've written about sitting alone in the dark before, how everything you start to consider comes only from yourself, because there isn't anybody else to blame it on. It's a good exercise in personal responsibilty.

I agree, I try to stay connected to this world of form and do a good job most the time, but I gotta tell you, there is no view that can match when you're standing on the event horizon.
                    I guess I should ask, seeing as how we're splitting the profits, what's the book going to be about?

3. A Troubled Man profile image60

Looks like quite the fantasy, good luck with that. smile

9. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Darkness is a lack of light. Same as cold is a lack of heat. smile

Right. Well winter is coming, which is is usually accompanied by a distinct lack of heat. wink

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Depends on where you are Slarty....... we have spring and summer close by. smile

Yeah. That's right. You live on the bottom of the world.

How come you haven't fallen off yet? wink

I dunno how we hang on, I think we have a thing down here called grabity that grabs us and keeps us attached to the planet, I know I get tired from hangin on. smile

Well I don't believe in gravity. It's like evolution. It's all a lie. God keeps his hand on you to keep you on the earth. If he's pissed at you he lets go. Then you're f**ked. Simple as that.

Sounds like god is pissed at you if you are just hanging on. But at least we know you aren't drunk. An Irish priest once told me a person isn't drunk as long as they can hang on to a blade of grass to keep them from floating off the world.

He knew what he was talking about.

1. SpanStar profile image60
                SpanStarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Question:

What's keeping the blade of grass in place?

Grabity?

2. A Troubled Man profile image60

Soil.

Come on A Troubled Man, your answer is something a child would say but you made reference to how great science is, the implication is there's no gravity so how is soil to remain in place if there's no gravity.  Please enlighten us.

God. Have you not been listening? He has millions of fingers. Enough for every blade of grass. Jeeeez...lol...

Slarty O'Brian,

I'm going by your statment:

Well I don't believe in gravity. It's like evolution. It's all a lie

10. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

The Creator God created everything from annihilation; He claims it with reasons:

[2:118] He is the Originator of the heavens and the earth. When He decrees a thing, He does only say to it, ‘Be!’ and it is.

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … ;verse=117

I understand what you're saying paarsurrey, but it doesn't address the question.
      If, "God created everything from annihilation," that indicates there was something pre-exsiting to destroy.  How could God create everything if there was already something?
      That shows God rearranging the furniture, not creating it.

11. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

Nothing is just something we haven't discovered yet wink

Nothing and something are twins.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)