jump to last post 1-26 of 26 discussions (363 posts)

If God came and performed miracles would we believe it was Him?

1. LewSethics profile image60
    LewSethicsposted 5 years ago

Believers minds would probably melt and they would turn into a useless mass of fawning glee.
    Sinners would poop themselves and try to be good, honest.
    Non-believers would not believe it.  Would they?

1. Angela Morgan profile image60
      Angela Morganposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think that many believers would probably shun him as the Jews did. I doubt anyone would even recognize him.

1. 59
        Mohammad Wasimposted 5 years ago in reply to this

We have to believe one thing. God never try to introduce himself. Religions are exaggerating of fantasy and believe which can not be proved. Religions become a source of business.
        No one asked me, " whether I would like to born or not." The sexual joys of parents become the reason of a birth of a baby. Now baby is in problem to learn the parental language and believe. Going to Kindergarten,school ,colleges, job , marriage , babies , grow old and die.
        This is the circle of life.
        Nothing else. The human created God only to create hate,war,destruction,fanaticism, different way of ritual to disturb the simple way of life. Invisible power does not expecting any thing from us.
        It depends on us to watch freely the unique systems of existing things and appreciate, who ever behind these wonders. That's all. Enjoy the life,spreading love, glorifying yourself and listen the music " Father and Son"

2. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 5 years ago in reply to this

God does perform Miracles, they happen everyday. smile 

***When a child is conceived and carried for 9 months, then they are finally born they are a miracle.***The Big Bang Theory did create man. smile

*** What causes Earth to float through the air without Gravity?*** The planets constantly move, but do not go out of bounds. When an Astronaut goes to space, they have to constantly be grounded or they are gone; But the Earth and other planets are continually rotating without floating away somewhere.

The Big Bang cannot blow life into a human being. It cannot make a person think, speak, walk, or talk. If you believe we were created from an Amoeba, then who or what created the amoeba? Does the amoeba think, walk and talk like man? No.

There are miracles and there is a God. But just because I believe and know there is does not mean you have to.

1. Don W profile image83
        Don Wposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The earth doesn't float through the air, but through space which is a vacuum. The gravitational force of the sun pulls the planets towards it, and their own motion acts as a counterbalance keeping them in stable orbit.

LewSethicsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Don, I was gonna say something but she already yelled at me once.

2. emrldphx profile image60
          emrldphxposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Actually, if we relied on the gravitational force of matter we can see and measure, everything would fly apart. See 'dark matter' for more information.

Dark matter is worse than the big bang, as there is even less proof of dark matter than there is of a big bang.  Both are still just mathematical concepts, no matter how hard the geeks try to act like it is virtual fact.
            Don't get me started on dark energy

1. emrldphx profile image60

You treat science like it's a delusion. The point is, we have a gravitational model that predicts accurately how gravity will act in any local situation. Hence things like flight, being able to put up satellites, etc, etc, etc...

But this model doesn't work when you plug in the parameters of a galaxy. Not even close. If that was the model that the galaxy also worked off of, everything would scatter. It's not even close.

Do you believe in neutrinos? Did you know that those were predicted before we could detect them? Contrary to what you seem to believe, science works well for making predictions and testing them. You calling dark matter ridiculous is no different from those who called neutrinos ridiculous.

You also don't seem to understand that, while they are just theories, they are not merely predictions. Science doesn't just say 'hey, I think there is something we can't see, let's call it dark matter'. Science says 'hey, for some reason the gravity that works here on the planet doesn't work for the milky way. In fact, we seem to be missing about 80% of the matter needed to make the milky way act the way it does. Let's label this missing matter 'dark matter' until we can figure it out'.

3. AEvans profile image70

So how is the gravitational force created?

1. Captain Redbeard profile image60
            Captain Redbeardposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Funny thing about gravity, in the 1920's Alexander Friedmann and Georges Lemaitre founded the theory of the big bang and in 1929 Edwin Hubble was measuring stuff and noticed a 'red shift' among the 46 galaxies he was looking at which meant they were moving away from our solar system. He reasoned that if they were moving away from us then they must have once been closer together which supported the big bang theory. A lot of other stuff happened later to support this theory however, if everything was in such a delicate balance, the suns gravity vs ours and the other heavenly bodies, it seems to forget that if the big bang theory did happen that all these planetary systems working together because they were all such and such distances apart that they would have all collided together because they would have been closer to each other and the smaller planets would have smashed into the larger ones and ultimately all colliding into the sun being it is the biggest body around us......interesting isn't it?

1. aguasilver profile image86
              aguasilverposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Especially as some believe that all those activities acting in perfect unison and essential to the result, happened by pure accidental cause!

2. Don W profile image83

We don't know how gravitation per se was created. This obviously relates in some way to how the universe itself came into existence. There are lots of theories, but nothing that has been objectively verified.

gravitation per se?  as opposed to gravitation...?

1. Don W profile image83

Well . . . in answer to the question "how is the gravitational force created" you could say that gravitons are one possible cause . But given the context of the previous comments, I suspect the next question would have been "how are gravitons created?" So I think the question was really asking about the origin of gravitation per se (in itself) as opposed to the specifics of its nature or effects.

Perhaps it is just turtles all the way down.

Interesting isn't it? But here we are debating miracles. Of course God for many who do not believe cannot be verified, nor can gravitational force. Which tells me  it was created by something wasn't it? Something bigger then all of us. Many of us called that God. 

So believing or not believing ;so long as there are humans, things will always be analyzed and questioned. For those who believe in God we are at Peace with it and for those who do not believe there are always struggles to find the answers.

1. A Troubled Man profile image60
                A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sorry, where did you get the idea gravity cannot be verified?

Einstein postulated that the masses of heavenly objects bend space, basically creating a downhill, and so the objects roll toward each other.
                  The planetary orbits aren't in some perfect balance.  All of the planets will eventually fall into the sun as their orbits decay, only it will take hundreds of millions of years.  Or so I derive from my reading on the subject.

Yet, the moon is moving away from the earth.

Theoretically, that would be true, but the amount of energy lost due to gravitational waves between the Sun and Earth is miniscule compared with the amount of solar wind and electromagnetic radiation being emitted by the Sun at the Earth, hence the Earth is actually moving away from the Sun.

2. 59

Mrs.Aevan is very much right the whole system of a birth of a baby after nine months is really a wonder and no doubt is a miracle. The material of eyes,bones,skins,blood,hair,brain and lot of phenomenal organs in all types of babies, say bird,animals fishes etc do not imported from USA  or China. A drop of sperm of male, in the womb of female creates a baby is a great miracle of invisible creator.   
        The question is fully over follow," If the God came and performed miracles would we believe it was him".
        God in invisible and no one have seen him and it is not absolute important for him to appear and to perform miracles to prove,he is God.
        God's miracles , we can see in each and every creation. He is a great Architect 
        You can see in my face book a lot about the wonder of Great creator to understand.

So then your answer to my question is no.

2. LewSethics profile image60

The miracle I proposed was of the ' make the sun stand still' variety.
          I gave it some thought and I came up with this:
          I know we are jaded by the cool special effects we see on the tv, but I mean something like making the entire world a desert planet instantaneously, with no food, water or radio waves.

3. Dave Mathews profile image59
        Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

AEvans: Thank you! You are the first one to give a reasonable and proper answer. God performs miracles constantly. The eyes of our spirit see them and recognize him even when our humanity is too busy to take notice.

3. SheliaKay profile image60
      SheliaKayposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I guess it would depend on the way some interpret God. I have been told surviving a fatal illness I had several years ago was a miracle, but for me I felt it was just my strong will to live, and I fought with all I had to survive.  I don't believe in a God who sits above in the clouds on his throne passing judgement. We make our own miracles by looking within and believing in ourselves. I really have a hard time believing some of these so called miracles of the bible. Why have we not seen some these types of miracles in today's times. If God would happen to appear from the sky and preform  miracles then maybe I might believe but I just can't believe any of it now when there has and still is so much suffering going on in this world

1. Levertis Steele profile image84
        Levertis Steeleposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Because miracles are so plentiful, I think we take them for granted. When Jesus brought Lazarus back to life, it was a miracle. When we hear stories about someone who was submerged below water for 45 minutes and lived, we wonder about it but seldom think it's a miracle. When ambulance drivers make declarations about how they resuccitate people, we do not consider them to be miracles. When our neice contracts West Nile Virus and survives, we do not consider that a miracle even though so many others have died. We want miracles to be dramatic and impossible to explain. Miracles do not have to be complicated. When Jesus raised Jairus' daughter back to life, someone might have said, "Oh, she was only in a coma." Although we can create a simple explanation for life returned, it is still a miracle. Just breathing is a miracle. Hearts beating every day for many years are all miracles. We can't see miracles in today's world because we look beyond the "little" miracles that are before us every day.

My sister, son, and I survived the onslaught of an 18-wheeler that ripped off the side of our car within an inch or two of two who sat on the side of the damage. We all survived without a scratch, but the car was virtually totaled. Jesus saved us. That was a miracle!

4. A Troubled Man profile image60

If God were cracked up to be anything He's purported to be by His followers, it would be a very simple and easy task for Him to get us all to know without a doubt He does in fact exist.

If God is real, and he really commanded us to have faith, then why would he make himself known to us without a doubt?

Simple, so that we can alleviate mankind from committing the atrocities and wars in His name and the name of so many other gods who are believed to exist. Or, would you rather the conflicts continue?

Sorry troubled, your argument doesn't address the question. Why would a God command us to have faith, and then make himself known to us? It's a contradiction. Wouldn't he instead just show himself to us, and NOT command us to have faith?

1. 69
              paarsurreyposted 5 years ago in reply to this
            2. OutWest profile image61
              OutWestposted 5 years ago in reply to this

that isn't faith.

Faith is the assurance of things that aren't seen. How can you have faith in something you see?

1. OutWest profile image61

And having enough faith to follow a particular path that you believe God is leading you to.

2. A Troubled Man profile image60

LOL! Like the assurance there is an invisible rhinoceros in my garage? lol

Not quite. I know you ignore any comments that go into specifics, so I gave you something general. The word that is translated into 'faith' in the NT means an assurance of truth. But, you can't fit all of that into one word, so I used a simpler definition.

Crack open a lexicon to see what the scriptures really mean.

2. OutWest profile image61

I've travelled around the world and graduated college for a couple of examples.  That is what I'm talking about.  With your attitude you miss the point plus probably alot more.

3. A Troubled Man profile image60

So, how can God command anything if He doesn't show himself? How would you come to know the concept of God other than through scriptures? Where did scriptures come from? God didn't write them, they were written by men with the very same faith you have.

In all of that, how can anyone know God exists?

I've addressed this clearly with you multiple times. It is a personal thing, defined by each person's experiences and thinking. You ask for objective proof, but that's not what it's about at all.

You have no way to know if I have seen God or not. You have no way to know if I have talked to God or not. You have no way to know what experiences I have had in my life.

It's not about thinking, either.

lol Institutions are full of people who say the same thing.

Personal beliefs aren't about thinking? Wow...

Maybe we should all just be 100% reflex, no thinking...

Seriously?
                    Logical fallacy - appeal to ridicule. Attempting to make my argument look ridiculous by comparing it to people with mental handicaps.

You dodged the point. You have no way to know what I've experienced. You know, I met someone a few weeks ago who was 19 and had never seen snow.

Strangely enough, he didn't think anyone who claimed it exists was crazy...

2. aguasilver profile image86

He will be doing that soon, when He comes back to collect those who are His.

I think you will have a front row seat to examine the evidence, enjoy (I don't think) and get ready for the 'every knee show bow' bit that comes after that.

LOL! Thanks for making my point. lol

You had a point?

My answer was totally on subject, what was yours other than an inane quip?

3. Levertis Steele profile image84

He wants us to have faith in him. If He proves Himself without a doubt, faith won't be necessary. Faith shows love. He wants us to love Him without feeling forced. If a man locked his wife up to keep her from cheating and another man let his wife go free to later find out that she really was faithful, which man is happier? The man with the free wife, of course.

He won't acknowledge an argument of faith. He thinks a God that wants us to have faith would take away all opportunity for faith by showing himself to everyone.

So do all the other gods who are believed to exist. Notice that faith in Him does not work at all in showing his existence.

LOL! That doesn't even deserve a response.

No, it does not and isn't even remotely similar. Faith is faith. Love is love. They are completely unrelated.

But, his followers force us to believe in Him.

Using real world examples to support your faith in Gods existence does not work. Sorry.

5. KeithTax profile image80
      KeithTaxposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What we do today is a miracle to people 50-100 years ago. Therefore, a miracle is an action we cannot do ourselves... yet.

Second, a miracle does not prove divinity. It only proves you can do something that others do not. Flying is not a miracle unless Jesus put people in a spaceship and flew them to the moon 2,000 years ago.

Faith should be based on more than parlor tricks.

Hi Keith.
        The miracle I proposed was of the ' make the sun stand still' variety.
        I gave it some thought and I came up with this:
        I know we are jaded by the cool special effects we see on the tv, but I mean something like making the entire world a desert planet instantaneously, with no food, water or radio waves.

6. thisisoli profile image64
      thisisoliposted 5 years ago in reply to this

He already returneth, his name be-eth Paul Daniels.

7. Jesus was a hippy profile image61
      Jesus was a hippyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Any logical and rational person would be forced to believe the miracles if no explation was possible other then a miracle.

Of course many people aren't logical and rational...

smile

1. 60
        laptop-coolerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Any rational person would believe in their ignorance before a miracle.

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image61

Believe in their ignorance?

How can that even make sense?

1. thisisoli profile image64
            thisisoliposted 5 years ago in reply to this

How does it not make sense?

Do you believe you know everything?

I believe that if something happens that I cannot explain, chances are there is something than needs researchign so we can explain it. 

I do not think that just because we cannot explain something, it means that we should make up a baseless story to explain it.

8. seigfried23 profile image79
      seigfried23posted 5 years ago in reply to this

A "miracle" is the longest possible line between ignorance and discernment.   It is the "explanation" before the fog is lifted.  Much like, for example, the Aurora Boralis might be to a pious Daoist who has never seen electrons dance in the upper atmosphere; she might think it's a sign from her goddess or something.  It is what belief requires to make the believer feel special, in the sense that the "laws" of the universe must stop for them to make their lives easier or more beautiful.

9. Felixedet2000 profile image61
      Felixedet2000posted 5 years ago in reply to this

God has indeed come, he did that through Jesus Christ the author and finisher of our faith, he is the seed of a woman that God made reference to in the garden of Eden, Christ is God in form of man.

10. nightwork4 profile image60
      nightwork4posted 5 years ago in reply to this

to be honest i wouldn't care . if god did exist he is an a#*&hole anyway so why would it matter. i don't care what the reasoning is, but with all the horrible things that happen, any thing that claims to be a loving god needs to give their head a shake. god is a myth , so in reality he will never appear so don't worry about it too much.

2. jamaicavillas profile image61
    jamaicavillasposted 5 years ago

Nah! He does not exist, so, anyone claiming to be god would be locked up in the nuthouse.

Probably true, I'm not sure one way or the other, but I am playing the devil's advocate here and just sayin...

3. pisean282311 profile image56
    pisean282311posted 5 years ago

god the magician...whats use of god who needs miracle to make people believe???

He made the sun stand still once to prove it was He, why did He have to prove it then, and why can't He do that now?

1. pisean282311 profile image56
        pisean282311posted 5 years ago in reply to this

m not talking about stories man...m talking about practicality...if god needs to prove he is god it is not god to start with....

I think a lot of people would like to see some proof.

1. pisean282311 profile image56
            pisean282311posted 5 years ago in reply to this

god if real would be so magnetic and grand that no proof would be needed...god is positive force and positivity would be enough to move any being ...miracles performances are for magician and fake gods...

It is all around you, how much more proof do you need?

1. recommend1 profile image72
              recommend1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

What is all around is proof of something, but not necessarily a god. This basic point is getting really really boring repeating over and over.

1. AEvans profile image70

I have to agree, even though I believe and you may not.smile

2. Levertis Steele profile image84

If God made the sun stand still again, we would concots some scientific explanation to prove that He is not a miracle worker. The sun sucks up water, and the clouds spew it over the Earth to moisten the soil and vegetation. Every day we get daylight to work and nighttime to sleep. When the rain does not come, the dew forms on plants and trickles down the stems to moisten the soil which supplies the roots. The earthworms cltivates the soil making it conducive to good plant growth. Even chicken droppings add much needed nitrogen to the soil. Nature is like little farmers working 24 hours a day to keep everything in order. What a bunch of miracles!

3. 0
        Infinite712posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Deleted

There is no need to try and make things difficult. The story was written at a time when astronomical knowledge was limited. To them, the sun froze in the sky.

I think it is fair to say you understand the meaning of that phrase, why cause trouble over it?

1. 0
            Infinite712posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hm? Maybe because he believes the story actually happened? The story claims the sun revolves around the earth.

The story says the sun stopped in the sky. It delayed in going down.

Even today, we refer to the sun rising and setting, even though we know we are just spinning.

Like I said, no reason to be difficult just to be difficult.

4. 0
    Wilfionposted 5 years ago

If God were to appear before people, then this would suggest that he has a body, so is therefore not spirit.  And if God were a "He", then he would belong only to one gender.  So, a god with a male physical body, would suggest to me that it was a man standing before me, and not a god.  That he would then proceed to perform something which looked like a miracle could suggest that it was merely a magic trick, as performed by any stage magician.

'If God were to appear before people, then this would suggest that he has a body, so is therefore not spirit. '
      So then by your logic Jesus was just a man.
      'And if God were a "He", then he would belong only to one gender.'
      They don't call Him the Lord cuz he's a She, do they?
      'That he would then proceed to perform something which looked like a miracle could suggest that it was merely a magic trick, as performed by any stage magician.'
      He made the sun stand still once to prove it was He, why did He have to prove it then, and why can't He do that now?

1. 0
        Wilfionposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Not just by my logic.  Logic is using reasonable arguments, as opposed to ones based only on faith.  Whilst it is fine for anyone to believe Jesus was a god, it cannot be claimed that such a belief is based on logic, but on faith.

Concerning God's gender.  If God exists, and created the universe, He/She must necessarily have existed before the physical universe, and therefore cannot have a physical body, because physical bodies need to live in a physical place.  Being male, is a physical reality.  How God can therefore be described in physical terms, by describing Him/Her as a male would therefore make little sense.

Also, the Bible says that God created man in His image.  Man in this sense refers to mankind.  If this were not so, and we are to take it literally that God has a male physical body, and copied that body as a blueprint for making Adam, then God must be human.  He therefore cannot be God.

And it should be understood that in the Bronze Age, when the Old Testament was written, it was a male dominated society, so any man writing scripture would obviously think of God in terms of his own gender.  And it should be remembered that there is not only one god worshipped in the world.  And some of them are actually goddesses.

Once again we have a responder that goes off on his own tangent instead of trying to deal with the original premise.  You are too busy trying to show how smart you are, and not busy enough thinking. 
          Answer the friggin question!  Everybody knows it is a silly question, but we want to know what people THINK about it, not what people learned in elementary school.

1. 0

If you do not want people to respond to your question, do not ask one.  You were the one who asked whether I believed Christ to be only a man.  If the answer offends you, then do not start forum topics.  Being just another rude angry religious person will not get you anywhere.

haha Good one.  I don't believe in god so I guess I'm just another rude non believer, but the statement in question is
              'If God were to appear before people, then this would suggest that he has a body, so is therefore not spirit.'
              and I said
              'So then by your logic Jesus was just a man.'
              you said
              'Whilst it is fine for anyone to believe Jesus was a god, it cannot be claimed that such a belief is based on logic, but on faith.'
              You are going off topic, einstein.
              Also, you used the word 'whilst', which is dumb.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
                Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

'whilst', Why dumb? Perfect English used in the right context.

1. 0

Referring to both the Oxford English and Universal Dictionaries, "Whilst" is described as an older version of the word "while," which is chiefly used in British English, but rarely in American English.  The problem of the Internet is that everyone, no matter where they are from in the world is expected to use only American English.  However, as an Englishman, I refuse to, and shall continue to use British English. 

After all, it was our language originally.

Jolly well said, and perfectly correct to state that.

They may have kicked us out, but we still own our language and the Queens English still 'roools' to place it in the modern idiom.

No wonder we don't understand each other!

Toodle Pip Old Chap!

By the way your comment to Wilfion was quite rude and not necessary. I would recommend you play nice when responding. smile

Going off topic isn't rude?

1. 0

You asked the question of how we would respond were God to appear and perform miracles.  I responded that should God appear before us, he would have to be in human form.  Therefore I would not believe that it was God.  As part of your question mentions that non-believers would not believe, then my answer is a direct one to your question.  I can't help it, if you had preconceived answers in your mind, and that ones which do not meet your approval are therefore "off-topic."  Good Lord!  The whole idea of asking a question, I would have assumed would have been to receive responses.  If you only wanted one type of answer, you should have stated so in your original post.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image86
                  Mikel G Robertsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Got Proof? Why would God 'have' to take human form?

1. 0

How would you see him otherwise?  Did not Jesus, need a body to perform miracles?

haha It would be cool if God showed himself and he looked like that caveman that gets upset cuz no-one thinks he can use a phone.

Here is your statement. smile I see sarcasm and hoping to pick a fight. I believe this topic can be handled more in an adult manner. Lashing out will cause a ridiculous argument and someone will end up being banned. Mmmmmm..... Maybe you are a sock puppet. I have seen this tone before. lololo! big_smile

Once again we have a responder that goes off on his own tangent instead of trying to deal with the original premise.  You are too busy trying to show how smart you are, and not busy enough thinking. 
                Answer the friggin question!  Everybody knows it is a silly question, but we want to know what people THINK about it, not what people learned in elementary school.

3. Hollie Thomas profile image61

No, but swearing at them, insinuating that their response denotes a lower level of education, suggesting that should think as opposed trying to be smart, when they were merely trying to respond in an appropriate way, is extremely rude.  Perhaps you're the one that was off topic.

@ Hollie: perhaps.
                  Hey you with the 'e' on your profile pic, does that 'e' give you the right to try to intimidate writers?  You saw sarcasm in my post, so what?  I'm a bit contentious, but I wasn't lashing out, as you try to insinuate, I was telling someone who posted a response that they were speaking gibberish, and I know gibberish when I see it.  I'm sorry I made whatsisname go 'wah' and I'll try not to do it again, he's so sensitive.
                  BTW  you called me a sock puppet, that is very insulting, as it makes me seem like someone is talking through me, that I don't have my own thoughts, and that I probably smell like feet.  WAH!!!!!!
                  I try to keep it light, if you look around at most of my responses you will see that I go out of my way to get a chuckle out of all this.
                  I don't worship anything, but if there is a god then I believe he has a sense of humor, so we need to lighten up a little.

Ummm... hmm Hollie doesn't have a little 'e'. smile Just Saying.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61

Then what's the @ Hollie about, you are f'in rude. There are better ways to put your argument forward. Wilfion, was trying to answer you, he wasn't being a smart arse, he's had problems with religion too you know. Stop trying to be a smart arse, chill a bit. I'm not A.Evans or Wilfion, but somehow, you have managed to piss me off too. However, I recognize this was probably your intention. You are a bad ass.

Firstly, the original word that God is translated from can be singular or plural. That can in and of itself take care of the gender thing.

Secondly, what proof do you have that this is the only universe? Imagine an infinitely immense nothingness, in which our universe lies. Outside of our universe, there would still be an infinitely immense nothingness, which is plenty of space for other universes. And, if our universe were just created by chance from nothing, then statistically, there should be an infinite number of universes in the infinitely immense nothingness, so that argument doesn't hold water.

in His image doesn't mean an exact copy. It can easily mean the same form... flesh, bone, head, feet, etc... Also, some believe that the paradise during creation, including Adam and Eve, were in an immortal state before they sinned. Only when they fell were they changed into mortals. Flesh and bone(but not blood) that Christ had after resurrection. We have the same, but we have blood, which makes us mortal, and makes us age.

Again, about the gender, the original word can be singular or plural.

Oh, I get it, blood makes us age.

I guess that's why vampires are so old.

Oxidation, at least that's one theory.

If you take an apple and leave it in a room with oxygen, it will spoil. If you put the same apple in a storage room with low levels of oxygen, it will last much longer.

5. 0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

Depends on the miracles and the mindset. It isn't outside of the realm of possible that someone with superior powers could confuse people. It wouldn't be a precedent. If the miracle worker expected blind obedience I wouldn't be compelled to follow.

I'm talking about the 'making the sun stand still' variety of miracles.  Miracles that would be believable enough to make us doubt ourselves.

1. 0
        Emile Rposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hmmm. That's a mighty big miracle. In that case, sure, I'd give that being the benefit of the doubt. I think I'd still be a little scared to jump to any conclusions. Great power might make a god, but great wisdom and compassion would have to be evident for me to add a capital G.

I guess the question (for those of us still on topic) could be re-stated as:
          At what point does respect for a superior being morph into worship?
          (Was this is the kind of 'worship' that Romans had for Caesar, who could divert rivers or have thousands slain with a word?)

1. 0

Love. He'd have to love us first. Every action would have to be a testament to that. Across the board. I could worship that.

Would you need to love Him back?

I'll answer that, no, not at all, Gods love is unconditional, it's humans that put conditions on God, or try to.

When we return that unconditional love, we start understanding God.

People really do make too much of the hell equation as a stick to beat God with.

Firstly it appeared rather late in things, it's an RCC invention in the format we know and see expressed, and yes there are plenty of folk who use it as a threat even if their intention is good, and I also agree that there seem to be many folk who take some pleasure in thinking that all the unbelievers will suffer for not listening.

Not me.

In a hub I wrote on writing hubs for non believers, this was my summation on hell:

"It's not that believers WANT people to go to Hell, it's not even that God wants people to go to Hell, but it's a fact that God MUST provide some place where people who refuse to be in relationship with Him can go to on their return to the spiritual plain, and by necessity that place MUST be a God free zone, i.e. by His Grace God will allow them to exist for eternity in a place where He does not exercise His authority."

...and you can draw your own conclusions what being in a place where God chose to give people their wishes and never went to or exercised authority over would be like.

Acceptance of your post requires acceptance of the assumption that we must 'conform'.

I don't believe God seeks conformity, I believe God loves 'Diversity'.

The fact that everything 'created' by God is unique seems to lend weight to my perspective.

Our belief in the justness of punishing people that do harm to other people, is the basis for the argument that punishment of people that do harm to God (sin) must also be punished. Acceptable levels of punishment (let the punishment fit the crime) lead to our concept of hell and why that place must exist.

If God is all-powerful, you cannot harm God, therefore you cannot sin against God. You can only break the man-made rules put in place by humanity to create obdience and conformity. Fear is used to enforce this obdience and conformity. A failure to obey and conform are punished by eternal torture in 'hell'.

I believe God uses the consequences of actions to enforce God's rules, not punishments. Though, I must admit, according to the Christian mind set it follows that disobedience and non-conformity's consequence is an eternity in hell. The only way I have of rebutting that is a feeling/understanding of the nature of God. Eternal punishment (eternal torture) seems unfair no matter what the 'sin'. The punishment does not fit the crime.

1. mom101 profile image61
                  mom101posted 5 years ago in reply to this

i do not like to be labeled. That being said,  sin is able to be forgiven.  Some get upset with me because I say if there is a heaven, Adam and Eve will have the same chance as being there as anyone. The way I see it, eternal punishment is for those that refuse to believe in a higher power, God, or whatever label you choose to put on it.

I don't call Him God, as that is only a label a descriptive noun. Noone knows His name and by calling Him by anything besides His name, in my opinion, would be blasphmy.

But to answer the OP question. I doubt many people would believe it. In the world we live today,  miracles happen every day. Most think nothing of them. Just like cutting trees. Most everyone will say cut the tree in respect to progress. I wonder, could clear cutting our trees have any affect on the development of many of the breathing problems many have today. I mean, trees do provide ?????????????

I feel so much of truth is just being neglected today.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61

Provide some, honestly, if you could it would not be neglected.

The Bible refers to Him as God, Father, Abba, Jehova, Rock of Ages, and many other names. Some people call a male parent Father, Pop, Dad, Poppie, Chief, My Old Man, Daddy and many others. A father knows his child's voice and answers him. Jesus called God Father and other names. If you are referring to the Almighty, you are not blaspheming. Some call Him Righteous, Healer, Judge, Doctor, Lawyer, Teacher, and so on. God judges the heart. He knows your meaning. There are many good proper adjectives that the Bible uses to describe and labeled God, and that is OK. The Bible labels Him many names. He is not as hard as we think. He loves and sympathizes with us.

In the old tesament, He told Moses to tell His people that His name is I AM. Another part of the Bible says His name is Jehovah. Another says Jehovah Jireh, and many more. Whatever you call Him, He will know your reference. He won't be confused or angry. He is better than your or my father. Will our loving fathers behave better than the Almighty? Hardly not!

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image86

***Actually after having thought a little bit about it, the Hell concept to me seems even more ridiculous. In my opinion if a being is 'unworthy' of being with God, God would simply un-create that entity. Why make a useless thing suffer, especially for all eternity. NAAW, hell is a tool created by humanity to enforce obedience and conformity. That's the only thing that makes sense.

What if Hell isn't an eternal punishment, but an eternal reward?

What if God can't un-create us?

Do you think God created us for Him, or for us? And why?

Mikel G. Roberts,

the Bible says that the lost will be consumed, ashes under the feet of the righteous, destroyed forever, NOT burned forever. God is merciful and would not allow a being to suffer forever! He must destroy sin in the most final way. This is referred to as His strange act.

wtf is an RCC invention?  Are we supposed to know what that means?

RCC=Roman Catholic Church.  smile

thanks

Yes, when you are in a religious forum.

3. LewSethics profile image60

If God is OMNIPOTENT, then who put the saddle on Him when:
                "It's not that believers WANT people to go to Hell, it's not even that God wants people to go to Hell, but it's a fact that God MUST provide some place where people who refuse to be in relationship with Him can go to on their return to the spiritual plain, and by necessity that place MUST be a God free zone, i.e. by His Grace God will allow them to exist for eternity in a place where He does not exercise His authority."

The words 'God MUST provide' presumes that God cannot refuse to do this.  Am I the only one confused here?

Yes

God is just, He puts His own 'saddle' (as you so politely call it) on Himself in order to finally satisfy your desire to be without Him.

You want separation, you get it.

The Bible does not say that the lost will exist in hell for eternity. It says that the lost will be consumed, forever lost or destroyed, ashes under the feet of the righteous. Ashes denotes that something has completed the burning process. God has to destroy sin and sinner, but He is merciful.

Lew Sethics, you said, "I'm talking about the 'making the sun stand still' variety of miracles.  Miracles that would be believable enough to make us doubt ourselves."

An eclipse is a miracle. A hurrican that brings much peace and plenty is a miracle for some. My insurance paid me X dollars for Hurricane Katrina damage to my property. After getting all repairs, we had a nice amount of money left over. I got peace of mind, improved property, and money in the process. A hurricane did this! that was a miracle. So, what if we Can explain it. A miracle is something that humans cannot do. We can't send hurricanes. A hurricane is destructive, even evil, but God can take a wrong and make it work for good. That's the miracle.

Doctors told my family that my grandson was dying, so they moved him from ICU to critical ICU, literally a death room. He was just being observed. I prayed and receive peace that I had never before experienced, to the point that I went home and had a restful night. Ordinarily, I would not have left him. I would have camped out at the hospital. I went back to the hospital at mid-morning the next day with assurance and calmness. I was told again that he would not live. He was swollen, with shallow breathing, and still. He had been given a cocktail of antibiotics. Nevertheless, they said that his intestines were dead. I waited patiently for his recovery. He recovered and is a fine healthy boy today. Try convincing me that this was not a miracle. I have not had faith like that since. I want it, I crave it, I pray for it. Why was it so unexpectedly strong then? I do have faith, but it seems a little more relaxed than the time in the hospital.

6. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Given that God is meant to be omnipotent-- if he actually existed, actually appeared and wanted us all to believe, presumably we would.

Good point, if God WANTS us to believe, then that should be it, like gravity or something,( if God were omnipotent, the goofiest word ever.)

2. mom101 profile image61
      mom101posted 5 years ago in reply to this

physcheskinner, I have to disagree with you.

He gives us free will. To either believe or not. He is not of a forceful nature.

Jesus was placed in this world as a result of people not believing in something they could not see. many overlook that point.

So true!

7. Mikel G Roberts profile image86
    Mikel G Robertsposted 5 years ago

If God came and performed miracles would we believe it was God?

No. God allows us freewill, the ability to choose and decide for ourselves.

We would simply examine the miracle until we found some tiny detail, an infinitely small triviality and we would use that doubt as proof that the miracle was not a miracle. If we came to understand how the miracle was done we would call it science and obviously science isn't miracles that is just nature.

We would then ask for another miracle not like that one a 'true' miracle, and then we would start the process again.

Trying to determine one way or another whether or not we would believe him is futile. Nobody can speak for the entire human race.

A better question would be, would I believe him, or would you believe him.

I believe him already.

1. Timlove profile image81
        Timloveposted 5 years ago in reply to this

the other day my stepdaughter baked an apple pie and did a fine job i will add. she had one piece and went to a freinds house for a few hours . When she returned she went to eat another peice and it was all gone. HEY! shw said I spent two hours making that pie and only got one piece. the fact is her mother and I have spent countless hours working baking unselfishly for her and her siblings and for the same result but she does not understand that she is a child .Isnt that the same standpoint you are with God. he is God .You are not.He can come to earth in a physical body if he chooses male or female or both he can do as he pleases. the real problem is people want to be God and that will never happen.

So true!

8. Kewl profile image72
    Kewlposted 5 years ago

We judge everything with our own standards, rather than seeing through God's standards.
    When he fails to cope up with our rules we then believe God doesn't exist. Science believes the probability and possibility that it must be. It seems funny for people to hear that God created us, but it not funny when science say, world formed from organic soup, where things came for the big 'bang' ( bang means to clash). Science says smaller things evolved to form bigger then how Uranium formed from Hydrogen?
    Job was faithful, so his sun of faith never saw sunset even in the midst of difficulties, so God made the sun stand still. There are various tricks to perform magic in every religion and man made Gods. But there is a true miracle maker to whom we should seek. So we should walk by faith and not by sight.

Believers judge everyone else and fail to see how they never live up to their own standards.

When we see the actions of believers who do one thing and say another, we can't accept anything they say.

9. Levertis Steele profile image84
    Levertis Steeleposted 5 years ago

The question has already been answered! Jesus did come once and performed numerous miracles. Did the people believe Him? Some believed, but most did not. Now in our present world, more people believe Him. As a matter of fact, world records have it that Jesus had, and still have, more followers than any man who has ever lived. His followers are called an army, His Word is their sword, and He will be our victor! So, He has manned the largest army of all leaders of all armed forced who have ever lived anywhere in this universe. No man has ever equaled Him. How can a broke man not sent of God do all of this considering His few years of ministry? Many world leaders spent years, even most of their lives attaining the little, compared with Jesus, they got. I tell you, He was a miracle sent by His Father, God Himself. What power!

10. Larry Okeke profile image61
    Larry Okekeposted 5 years ago

If God wanted every body to believe he exists, all he would need do is to shout from the skies and no one would ever doubt him again. Besides, how can a father allow his own children to wander in confusion over whether he exists or not? My own father was always around me. He did so many substantial things for me and also made me know he was the one who did them. Therefore, if i had suddenly grown up to say my father did not exist; it would amount to insanity!

If God wants you to think he exists, there are a million and one ways by which he can do that. He can shout from the skies, he can solve your problems and make you see he did it, he can do so many other things which i can't even begin to list!

And as for those of you who think miracles occur all around the world, i wonder what kind of miracle occurs in your world because when i look around me, i see injustice, suffering and full blasted wickedness. Let God start by giving succour to the billions of homeless kids on the streets and i'll have no doubt as to whether he exists

1. 72
      SanXuaryposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My guess is that most people will not believe it. Revelations claims that they will deny it regardless of the worst consequences. Scarier still is the false or anti Christ they will believe in and so it offers proof that they will believe in something any way. So if God even showed up we must be prepared to question it any way, before we can recognize it as God.

Larry Okeke,

as I read your comments, I was searching for something that I had never felt before. I did not find it. I have been so angry at God because I felt that He left me alone and defenseless, so, I stopped praying and did not acknowledge Him for five years. Then, I began to have experiences that were so consuming that I thought that I would die. When I called upon the Lord, I began to experience peace and hope. Things that I thought could not happen began to happen. My faith was renewed. Now, I hold on to it because it is the best I have ever had. I have listened to many others with different opinions, but they have not been able to give me a faith and hope that heals like that I have.

My nature craves a higher Power, a need to believe in something that can give me what I cannot give myself--love, peace, faith, a reason to anticipate and live with hope. If this desire has always been within my soul and spirit, then, it must be there to perform a necessary function. So, I embrace it like a loving wife would embrace a good and faithful husband.

11. Levertis Steele profile image84

Last Saturday night Mom cooked up a traditional feast, along with 2 chocolate cakes for dessert, and invited all 9 of her children over to enjoy it. What an odd hour for supper, but it was an unbelievable blast!

That sounds believable because we expect to hear surprises like that. It sounds human, so we have no problem believing. If someone says Jesus worked miracles when He walked the Earth and still does today, that would vex the belief system of some. Why? We cannot connect. We only believe in our powers and what we see us doing. Go into the woods and find a hammer and nails near a tree. Would we have a problem believing that a person left them? Of course not. We allow ourselves to connect.

By the way, my mom is not able to cook anymore, and I would not be caught in a state of insanity coking a meal at 11:00 A.M.! BUT, it's believable. The human mind does just what it wants to do.

Correction: . . . cooking a meal at 11:00 P.M.

12. Captain Redbeard profile image60
    Captain Redbeardposted 5 years ago

If someone was walking around now performing miracles and professed to be God I pretty sure the world would turn upside down. I for one would be against such a person. Christ warned me about those who would come doing miracles.

I would be against such a person also, but I do believe that God works miracles today.

13. 69
    paarsurreyposted 5 years ago

If God came and performed miracles would...

Jesus was no god; he is not to come again in this world in literal and physcial terms; the personage who was to come is Mirza Ghulam Ahmad- the Promises Messiah; Jesus died naturally and peacefully in Kashmir, India at the age of 120 years.

7,203 posts in 19 months with 2 whole hubs to your name.

OK, think we have your mark.

Time to write 380 comments a month, mostly inane and the same!

I think you should consider working or getting out more, because you are certainly wasting your time and bandwidth here.

But, he has hubs, which appears to be your modus operandi in evaluating members here, which seems to be the only thing you know how to do as opposed to sticking with the subject matter and forming an argument.

So, tell us, how many hubs does one need to have in order to meet your personal specifications? lol

2. 69
  14. Bronterae profile image61
    Bronteraeposted 5 years ago

I think the mere fact that one name gets the world in an uproar proves there's something different about that name.  You either want to believe or don't.  If you're not sure, read "The Case for Christ" by Strobel.  From an investigative reporters view, you can see the evidence is abundant.  Any court would have to accept the proof. There's no question Jesus was/is special.  Read this, then decide.

In answer to your post, it depends on how he came back.  If it's in the sky, yes.  If it's like last time, probably most wouldn't see him as any different.

15. 69
    paarsurreyposted 5 years ago

Faith is the path that many righteous persons have treaded on and have been suceesful in achieving the purpose of life; they are a witness to it; treading on the same by a new person with  certainty that they will accomplish the same results; it would be a faith, in my opinion.

16. Levertis Steele profile image84

If you were employed by a company in your country owned by an old billionaire in another country, yet, he issues orders to his CEO's of the company.  You have never met Mr. Rich, but you receive his orders from the CEO's. Would you have a problem working for this company even though the owner is unseen and sends messages through other men to be sent out to various employees? Probably not. You would believe that Mr. Rich exists.

God's Holy Scriptures were recorded by holy men inspired by Him. I believe these Biblical scriptures are His because they are effective, so effective that Jesus, along with the scriptures, have impacted mankind and world history and literature in a way that no other person has, can, or ever will.  The Bible is the most recorded and talked about book in all of earth's history. It is a book that is like the horn of plenty. It cannot be mastered. No matter how much a person reads it, there is always something new to learn. It is everflowing spiritual food.

Jesus' ministry was very short, yet, He reached more hearts and attention than any world giant ever has, no matter how long they worked at their professions. His short ministry was further proof that He is the real power. What man can do what he did in a few years. That's miraculous. The Bible and Jesus are miraculous. They do things that no one, object, or event has, can, or ever will do. Jesus died, rose, promised, ascended, and still, he commands a Christian army that has existed before He left, down through several thousand years, and is still going strong. What makes all of these souls respond to Jesus and the Bible like no other existence in the entire world? Something is commanding and urging us on.  I say Jesus/God and the Spirit that they left to influence all willing mankind. What other man commands an army like Jesus? No man! He stands out above the whole world because He IS God!

He has given us enough to know that He exists, His Son being the main proof. He gives us an undeniable  desire to be loved, to perceive a higher power, and experience a desire to worship.
    When we sincerely invite Him into our hearts--He does not force Himself on us--He will respond and dwell there if we allow Him. He will begin working within us to perfect our characters and ready us for His purpose for our lives, and further prepare us for His everlasting kingdom.

We also have free will that He gave us. We exercise it daily, and are able to stock our own belief and value systems. Yet, He invites us to invite Him into our lives. He wants us to trust Him and operate on faith. He shows evidence of Himself through our natural desires to connect with a higher power. Further proof are His many miracles, nature around us, and heavenly bodies beyond Earth. If God shows Himself to us,  we would die. He wants us to live now and forever.
    If we pray fervently and patiently for an experience with Him, He will grant it. When I had an experience, I said, "Lord who am I that you would prove yourself to me?"

Mr. Rich could be a pseudonym for that company, like Aunt Jemima or Johnnie Walker, hence he might not exist and his words are contrived by other men.

Or, God is just a pseudonym and the Holy Scriptures are just words contrived by men, just like the CEO of that company.

Yes, our history is replete with Holy Wars, Inquisitions and Witch Burnings as a result of Scriptures. 

It's been around for a very long time, but that doesn't give it credibility.

It's already has been mastered, but a number of other books. From a literary point of view, it is weak by comparison. From a moral and ethical point of view, it is lacking entirely.

You mean like Islam? The internet? Cell phones?

Yes, that's what really bothers me about Christianity, it's always about armies, swords, shields and conflict.

But, his followers are relentless.

Yet, he allegedly showed Himself to others, and they lived. Odd, isn't it?

Yes, Chrisrianity is about armies, sword, conflict, but these are only symbols for something better. For example, the sword is the word of truth.

He came without His Heavenly splendor or glory. He became man, flesh, in order to live among men. He took on sin although He never sinned. In a sense He dropped rank for man's sake. Therefore, no one died in His presence.

Christianity is about ending conflict, and the greatest conflict is between Christ and Satan. Those who follow Christ are part of the army to end conflict. No real guns or swords are involved. You know that.

Why do you exert so much energy trying to get people to not believe in Jesus Christ? Christians love Jesus, accept him, and find hope and peace in Him. Why are you trying to take that away? What better do you have to offer?

If you do not believe in Christianity, why does it bother you? I think that God is working with you.

LOL! When you explain concepts in military terms, only conflict and war can come from it.

Millions have died since in senseless bloodshed for His name.

LOL! I only know of the conflict, wars and genocides that Christianity has started, committed and finished entirely on its own. You know that.

LOL! Christians are free to wallow in their fantasies in their homes behind closed doors, but they bring their nonsense to the streets, evangelizing and shoving it down our throats.

I would offer you to keep your faith behind closed doors where it belongs. That would be much better for all.

lol

1. 69

"LOL! Christians are free to wallow in their fantasies in their homes behind closed doors, but they bring their nonsense to the streets, evangelizing and shoving it down our throats."

Oh that you would obey the rules you wish to inflict on others.

What rules would those be? Certainly, not or anywhere near the ridiculous, violent or insane rules your religion would have me follow?  lol

"Secularists are free to wallow in their fantasies in their homes behind closed doors, but they bring their nonsense to the streets, evangelizing and shoving it down our throats."

Those rules you wish to enforce on believers....

Try to show the tolerance you demand.

Gee, I can't remember the last time some 'Agnostic Witnesses" knocked on my door and started telling me that I have to believe what they say or I will suffer the consequences.

You are doing it now, in a religious forum, you do it on the TV, in the media in general, in courthouses, in every area where your 'whispers' can be heard.

Okay, lets start by getting rid of the "Secularist rule" regarding religion and create a religious state, instead.

Which religion will be the dominant religions and what atrocities are we to commit on the other religions followers for their blasphemies? Thumbscrews? Burning at the stake? Tar and feather?

What tolerance will that religion show towards others when it is in complete control? What will become of gays? Schools? Judicial Law? Freedom?

lol

Try to show the tolerance you demand.

Did you keep your beliefs behind closed doors? You are all on the internet, but I don't mind at all. You have freedom of speech, and I am able to read or not read what you have to say. I know how to respect people whether I believe them or not. You are arrogant, angry, and mean. You poke fun at people and put up a smiley face when you think you have scored a stab at others' intelligence. That's morally wrong, and it is a turnoff.

You are hurting, and it has nothing to do with Christians. You have a conflict within. Your avatar is indicative of that. You fight people who are doing exactly what you are doing--exercising freedom of speech. You are trying to force others to be miserable and without a Saviour. It is so peaceful and such a blessing to be wrapped up in Jesus. It Jesus is nobody, why are you fighting? "Nobody" cannot do anything to affect you, but Jesus can. He is worthy to be praised and loved.

I don't share religious beliefs so the question is moot.

lol So much for respect.

Morally wrong? lol

lol Such nonsense. But hey, you know how to respect people. lol

2. 69

?

2. 59

Every things is well and good. Every religions are monotheistic.
      If a person started to believe a super power through miracles. What's wrong on it. Is it important to belong with a religion ? The system, the existing things, the life and death. The garden of God is a miracle and I have to find God through these miracle and become a good human being without any attachment of religion. What's wrong on it .
      If you believe Jesus or Mohammed or Hinduism, Buddhist well and good.
      But I believe in Agnosticism.Is there a God ? I do not know.   Is man immortal ? I do not know and that is , neither hope nor fear, belief,nor denial.
      Can change the fact ? It is as it is and it will be as it must be.
      A good human being and love to all existing things in the world is enough.
      No one dislike such a person, even the religious God.
      The examples with the Bosses with employees are relevant. Mr.or Mrs

Bronterao says. If God shows himself, then we will die. How you know it ? Religion confuses people to put such a question and live in frighten.
      If you believe a God. Accept him as a friend. Love with him and his creation, automatically he love you. No need to  go in exaggeration.

"Religion confuses people to put such a question and live in frighten."

The fear is used to create obedience and conformity. Without that they lose thier power and influence over the peasants. (and the money, don't forget the money)

17. jay_kumar_07 profile image61
    jay_kumar_07posted 5 years ago

GOD is every where.When we can ready to see GOD .

Childs are using mobile for games.
    People are using their body for games.

Both are in lacking of knowledge.

1. 69

The Creator God is everywhere with his attributes; He is neither physical nor spiritual; all things physical and spiritual are His creation.

18. WD Curry 111 profile image61
    WD Curry 111posted 5 years ago

He did and they didn't.

1. Cagsil profile image82
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Use anything but a religious book to verify that and the world would believe it. lol

Try speaking with Him?

Works for believers, could work for you, but if you do seriously ASK CHRIST, you may be surprised.

Nice spin job. You're usual tactic.
          Only the gullible need apply for that task. lol

...and you are of course not GULLIBLE! lol

Well, I can point out your BS tactics of spin control. So, I guess not. roll

Oh I do not doubt your ability for sarcasm, that has never been in question, you are magnificent in the art of one liners, it's your belief in yourself that leads me to the fact that you are gullible.

You're up late.... smile

You denote sarcasm where there was none. Good show. roll

Apologies, my discernment must be slipping smile

2. WD Curry 111 profile image61
                    WD Curry 111posted 5 years ago in reply to this

You must have an unrealistic image, or at least the way you are coming across to others. There is no glory in being an irritant. But then again . . . no irritant . . . no pearl.

You missed the point. They didn't and neither do you. Not my problem.

Actually, I didn't miss your point.
          I'm sure they didn't and I'm also sure they didn't see it themselves. wink
          I'm sure it's not your problem either. lol

19. emrldphx profile image60
    emrldphxposted 5 years ago

I wonder what type of miracle it would really take to convince some people... after all, for some people, it's not a matter of 'I don't think that's rational', or 'I don't believe'. No, no, it's a matter of 'I know for a fact that it didn't happen, and it won't happen!'.

I wonder where these people get their crystal balls/seer stones/reincarnated knowledge?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-42Sow6tLW6Q/TgfsLJpsUfI/AAAAAAAACKI/0rJB18sANQg/s1600/crystal%2Bball.JPG

The greatest miracle is breathing life into a heart of stone.

3. 0
      Virgil Newsomeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Luk 16:31  And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

4. A Troubled Man profile image60

It wouldn't take a miracle to convince people, that's the problem in a nutshell, people require reality to be convinced, not miracles. Miracles have been spouted far too long to have any effect on the intellectual.

'Miracle' and 'reality' aren't mutually exclusive. Miracle is just a word for something we can't explain, usually attributed to God or the paranormal.

If God appeared and re-grew a limb, we would call it a miracle. If he then showed us how to do that through medicine, we would no longer call it a miracle.

1. 69

I agree with you.

lol Yes, I know you have yet to distinguish your god from reality.

lol lol <--- the coveted double laughie. Well deserved.

At this time, if God could just feed the starving and cure cancer, that would be a start for any atheist to believe in Him. smile

Are you trying to address the actual point I made? A miracle is something we can't explain. Many things that would have been called miracles before are now simple technology.

So, are you denying that if God re-grew a limb we would call it a miracle?

Or, are you denying that if we knew how to re-grow limbs, we wouldn't call it a miracle?

It has to be one or the other for you to 'double laughie' what I siad.

It is neither, but I know you don't understand that and probably never will. lol

It is neither...

Ok. Here is the truth everybody. Straight from 'A Troubled Man':

If God appeared on the earth and re-grew the limb of an amputee, it would not be a miracle.

If God taught us how to re-grow limbs, it would not be medicine.

Thank you troubled, crystal clear now.

lol

I would love to watch you in a real debate format.

FACILITATOR: A Troubled Man, you have 2 minutes for rebuttal.

A Troubled Man: lol

Have you written a hub yet? Hub pages . . . get it? I'm sure you don't understand that, and probably never will. You have no hubs! Get busy, slacker.

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image61

I just made a hub. I hope it is controversial enough to make me some money on adsense. I think I only made 20p in the last 6 months.

1. WD Curry 111 profile image61

It isn't controversy, it is interest and volume.  Say you do a hub on how to prepare for and survive a category 5 Hurricane. You load it to the brim with advertising, ebay products, books from amazon and suggest links on every line of the hub.

A category 5 hurricane that fills the Atlantic threatens to ravage the East coast of North America from Mexico to Iceland. No one else has specified category 5 on their web site only plain old hurricane. You will have millions of hits on your hub and advertisers sell millions in products. Then you'll make enough for a good meal at nice restaurant. Maybe even a car payment or bail for your crazy uncle. You need a lot of hubs set tight to generate some income. 200 would be a good number. You can also explore local advertising ops., like Tommie's Pub where they drink warm beer. Tommie will want to see how many followers you have. 4,000 would be enough to impress him. Maybe he'll give you a few quid and some warm beer.

It could all be for naught. When the hurricane threatens, a Panda in China could set loose his scam, divert all of the traffic to the computer in his basement, cash out the pay account and be dining on dog meat, drinking plum wine, and watching awkward pole dancers while he is laughing at you.

If you are up for it, get busy. Otherwise, you might as well sit in the corner and play with yourself. You will be accomplishing just as much and it will feel better.

Yet, another believer who focuses on the individual due to no apparent skills at forming arguments of the subject matter.  lol

Sorry, but the "miracles" that are spouted here on these forums refers to magic, not ignorance.

Right... sorry, I forgot that you know everything there is to know, hence you know everything that will never be possible.

20. emrldphx profile image60
    emrldphxposted 5 years ago

Oh... it all makes sense now... I've been so foolish.

Everything I thought I had experienced was a lie... I now see the truth that science, even though it hasn't shown how the universe was created, or how life is created, has proven that there is no God.

Why couldn't you have shown me this image 20 years ago so I could have enjoyed my life?

big_smile

21. thisisoli profile image64
    thisisoliposted 5 years ago

The great thing about what I believe is that what I think is true is based on observations, deductions, and testing. 

If there was evidence of a greater being my opinions would shift, however there is a lack of supreme beingness abound in this world.

Of course there would always be a niggling doubt that what the person showed me would have been akin to a caveman seeing a lightning storm.

"Einstein postulated that the masses of heavenly objects bend space, basically creating a downhill, and so the objects roll toward each other.
    The planetary orbits aren't in some perfect balance.  All of the planets will eventually fall into the sun as their orbits decay, only it will take hundreds of millions of years.  Or so I derive from my reading on the subject."

Fairly accurate, the timescales are vast but my understanding is that things will eventually collapse.

My romantic scientist side likes to think that there have been universes before and after this one, each one collapsing and imploding in to a fresh new universe.  Maybe there are more than just our universe floating through a vast space of nothingness, with only the occasional escaped weakly held balls of matter managing to traverse the systems.

It is hard for humanity to perceive time this vast, it is also a human weakness to assume that there was a beginning.  Infinity is something that cannot be viewed and can hardly be understood.

Maybe one day we will be able to find the original point, following back an inummerable number of cycles of a universes lifespan until we reach an originating spark, some antimatter reaction or electron implosion that causes a chain reaction through the planes of nothingness.

Until we can find out I am happy to theorize while knowing that the truths of things so vast are imesurable by our technology, and probably will be for lifetimes to come.

My solace is in the fact that I don't feel it is necessary to make up some garbage simply because my current intellect and observational tools are inadequate to measure something as vast as the universe and it's timeline.

I don't claim to know how the universe sprang in to existance, big bang, maybe, maybe not.  But just because we cannot verify our theories does not lead me to religion, it leads me to the knowledge that I am ignorant. 

What I can do is simply live my life day to day with advances made by those who questioned what lightning was, who explored the tempering of metals and the secrets ebhind chemical reactions.  Those who persued vaccinations, who built the microscope and found that illnesses may have been caused by the microscopic, not the hand of god.

My point? 

The creation of the universe is a miracle so vast that it cannot be compared to a stationary celestial object, I can explain neither with a huge certainty.  Should I simply assign my ignorance to the name of God, or should I persue the knowledge to explain why the sun had ceased to move?

Well it would seem that time is not on your side in finding out what the universal outcome may be, whereas God is approachable by any individual and can establish His bonafides for any who will listen.

1. 60
        laptop-coolerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Really? When did he establish his bonafides with you? Did he meet you down at the local pub?

Come on, you can do better than that. Give it more thought next time.

Yes, in a manner of speaking He did, but it was when I was sober that He started working on and with me to build a new life and bring others to His gates.

May the Lord bless you Laptop Cooler, with such a meeting.

John

Amen and amen.

22. ftclick profile image60
    ftclickposted 5 years ago

It very interesting to see scientists who rely on data and cause & effect to find something or events that have no other explanation than God or out of this world.

23. lone77star profile image90
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

I doubt if non-believers would change their mind. Many so-called believers might try to kill Him because they see the miracles as a sign of the devil.

God performing miracles on Earth would prove to be counterproductive.

The intent of Homo sapiens, civilization and religion is to rid us of ego, and allow our spiritual reawakening. Flashy miracles would only attract ego like BS attracts flies.

And no, we're not talking about "ordinary," cause-and-effect "miracles" like babies being born.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5731891_f248.jpg

:)It isn't a cause and effect miracle.smile

Touche' . . . end of discussion . . . start another thread.

I'm looking forward to another one of those in a few months!

Congratulations! smile

Are you a good dad? Good dads change poopie diapers. It is actually a blessing of bonding. It will sure turn you off to cling peaches, though.

Yes, I'm a good dad... at least I try to be smile  I change all the diapers right now... when they are little my wife and I fight over who gets to change them.(I got to change the first poopie diaper in the hospital last time smile )

1. 0

You fight over the privilege of changing a poopie diaper? That is just so wrong. On so many levels. Whoever is holding the baby gets to do the dirty deed in our world.

Are you serious? To us, every second with our children is precious.

1. 0

That may be a second with your child, but it feels like an eternity with the diaper. I know, for a fact, that the moments I didn't change the diaper have had no negative effect on the development of my son, and our relationship.

Ok, that's fine... for us, it's like a fun game. There is no such thing as a 'bad moment' with my children.

24. Rev Bruce Jackson profile image81
    Rev Bruce Jacksonposted 5 years ago

Interesting concept for a forum topic.  Thank you for presenting the opportunity for free-flowing discussion.

25. Druid Dude profile image59
    Druid Dudeposted 5 years ago

Tell them to leave. They will. I could think of worse things to have standing on my doorstep. Rude people are everywhere. I know rude agnostics, and some of them just might not leave when asked. Not defending anyone here. Just pointing out that rudeness knows no particular group exclusively. I'll bet you a dime to a dozen apples that robbers, muggers, killers. rapists, chomos etc. have just as many members of their respective clubs who claim agnosticism or atheism as their belief, probably more. Now, consider. If miracles are what it would take,then what you need is tickets to see a good magician. Chris Angel is pretty freaky. Maybe if you could foster belief in him it might get you on the "A" list. Have a nice day!

26. Smokes Angel profile image74
    Smokes Angelposted 5 years ago

Tell me something you science people, you see the proof through your statements that there is a God.  Things did not just happen.  Look around you at the beauty of the falling leaves or the colors of different flowers.  How can you deny that there is a God?
    If Christ came today instead of when he did, he would still have been rejected by modern day religion just as he was by the Jewish leaders.  It was predicted that the things that happened to Him would happen regardless of what day and age He came.
    Miracles do happen every day.  Ask anyone who has received a miracle healing and try to tell them it wasn't of God.  It is written in the Bible that some non-believers will never accept Him.  A dark cloud has been put over their eyes, it has also been said by Jesus Himself that we will be hated for being Christians and persecuted.
    We should praise God when someone questions what we believe for it is an opportunity to share Him even if it is rejected.

Easily. Leaves and flowers only show evidence of evolution with no God required.

He would probably be put away in an institution where he could do no harm to others instead of being beaten and tortured to death.

lol

If the "dark cloud" is that which has us acknowledge the evolution of leaves and flowers in favor of magical invisible friends, then you might have a point.

lol

working