jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Who Do You Think Is, By Far, The Most Influential Philosopher...

1. jacharless profile image78
    jacharlessposted 5 years ago

Who Do You Think Is, By Far, The Most Influential Philosopher ( between 1811-2011) regarding the:

impact/consequence
    directional shift/change of modus
    increase/decrease of popularity
    willfulness/involution
    acceptance/rejection

of any given theology?
    ( and you cannot say, me, because I haven'`t yet published Quantus Philo :p )

James.

1. Disappearinghead profile image87
      Disappearingheadposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't know any philosophers James. hmm I guess I'm just not wired up that way.

jacharlessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No worries Kev, no quiz on this big_smile

2. Captain Redbeard profile image60
    Captain Redbeardposted 5 years ago

I might catch some flak for this but the first person I thought of was Hitler.
    He defined a generation and his actions are still rippling through time strong and clear. His ideas still are carried out today and I'm not saying he was right or a good man I'm just saying that he was probably the most influential that lived within that time frame.

Captain, my Captian!
      Interesting you regard him as a philosopher.
      I would be interested in seeing the opinions of that, too.

James.

2. Disappearinghead profile image87
      Disappearingheadposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If we're thinking along those lines the the likes of Karl Marx, Lenin and Mao Tse Tung changed the societies of billions of people for nearly a century. There philosophies have also forever changed the West by dint of the West's reactions to them.

I like this statement. America: a reactionary nation? Possibly. Since american fundamentals rest heavily on the laurels of democracy or Democritis ideologies. Ideologies that spawned hedonism, which spawned the Age of Aquarius, which spawned other things into today...

But yes, the others you mention would be included in the philosophical arena, over the last 200 years.

1. Captain Redbeard profile image60
          Captain Redbeardposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Maybe I misunderstood the topic lol if I did disregaurd what I posted.

phi·los·o·pher
             [fi-los-uh-fer]

noun
          a person who offers views or theories on profound questions in ethics, metaphysics, logic, and other related fields.

a person who is deeply versed in philosophy.

a person who establishes the central ideas of some movement, cult, etc.

a person who regulates his or her life, actions, judgments, utterances, etc., by the light of philosophy or reason.

a person who is rationally or sensibly calm, especially under trying circumstances.

With the exception of definition 5 I think that describes him. Anyway, I read your topic and his name was the first to pop into my head. hmm sorry if it was in bad task, I said I would probably get flak for it lol

Capt,
            Actually #5 would fit him too. He is often noted as being docile, even introverted.
            His early life depicts one of art and poetry, turned social activist.
            Do you think he/his ideologies were the most influential in effecting theologies?

1. Captain Redbeard profile image60
              Captain Redbeardposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't know if it was factual or not but I own the movie Max which follows Hitler before he was the dictator history knows and hates.

I think that he had ideals and certainly his own brand of theology that spawned from world war I and he was able to communicate those personal theologies and market them in a way that was nationally except to the point that the people of Germany were pledging allegience to him and his ideals and not the country!

From what history I know, which is little, I would say yes. I think more than any other in the past two hundred years save maybe Charles Darwin. His views of evolution have not only cultivated and molded generations of thinkers but challanged every religion lead by any philosopher of any time period.

3. recommend1 profile image66
    recommend1posted 5 years ago

The only philosopher who dabbled in theology was Spinosa and he was a paid thinking whore who sold ideas to anyone for money.

His great contribution was in the idea of a legal person so that diplomacy could be born, other than that he was quite happy to argue both sides - a bit like the other liars for jesus.

working