jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Near Death Experience 'All in the Mind'

1. Disappearinghead profile image88
    Disappearingheadposted 4 years ago
    1. emrldphx profile image61
      emrldphxposted 4 years ago in reply to this

""Furthermore many people accurately report "seeing" events taking place at a time when the brain doesn't function (such as during cardiac arrest). These cannot be explained by brain changes, since the brain had shut down and 'flatlined'."

"The scientific evidence suggests that all aspects of the near-death experience have a biological basis."

I have a problem with that. They say we can't explain any kind of 'experiences' people have after they have flatlined, but before flatlining, we can.

If something is possible after flatlining, wouldn't it be rational that it could be possible before flatlining?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The record of these events isn't.  It isn't the kind of situation where you record what happened after brain death (heart/lung stopping is not death, just inevitably causes death). And they don't embargo that information to ensure they couldn't get it by usual means.

1. emrldphx profile image61
          emrldphxposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Both situations, the research is only going off what people claim. What people claim happens near-death and after-death is just as valid in this sense.

If they can simulate some of these experiences, then that is a different topic. It could just as easily be a misunderstanding of cause and effect. I have no doubt that some NDEs are nothing more than the brain struggling to continue normal operation, but I wouldn't discount everything so easily.

2. MikeNV profile image75
    MikeNVposted 4 years ago

There is only one definitive way to get an answer.

The "Experts" can't tell you... think about what I am saying when I say "Experts".

3. seamist profile image81
    seamistposted 4 years ago

I hope near death experiences are not all in the mind. As it sits, it can be hard enough believing and having faith in God. I don't see how they all can be in just mind. If so, how do explain when people are hovering over the operating table and can describe what the doctors did if it all is just a biological phenomenon?