jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

Pantheism

1. kittythedreamer profile image95
    kittythedreamerposted 5 years ago

Is anywhere here into pantheism? Can you explain a little bit about it or possibly point me into a good resource for research. I'm curious to learn more than the basics.

1. Daniella Lopez profile image89
      Daniella Lopezposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Native American Spirituality deals with pantheism. If you're wanting to learn more about pantheism from a Native American point of view, you should really research the different animal spirit guides. Native Americans believe strongly that animals are gods, or ancestors. Sorry it's not much info for you, but it's a start! smile

kittythedreamerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Daniella but I don't know that they consider animals as "gods", but definitely as spirit guides. Yes, I'm aware that Native American spirituality in many tribes can be related to pantheism, but I am looking for more of a modern day approach to pantheism. Thanks, though!

2. Evylyn Rose profile image89
    Evylyn Roseposted 5 years ago

Pantheism is simply the belief that God is everything. You are God. I am God. The trees and air and the grass are God. The planet is God. Everything in the Universe is God. Many paths are pantheistic in nature with Wicca being the most prominent one (or at least one to point it out). However, some will argue that Wicca is not pantheistic in that some believe the Gods to be actual entities and only their essence is in all things. You can find information on one Pantheist society at http://www.pantheist.net/ They propose a way of life that is specifically pantheist going beyond the term alone. That may be more of what you are asking about.

Thanks, Evelyn. I appreciate it!

3. Druid Dude profile image61
    Druid Dudeposted 5 years ago

What you describe is actually animism. In the Wakan, The Great Spirit is the supreme being and all spirit is the Great Spirit. This is the concept of Manitou, the Spirit Which Dwells in All Things. The wind is spirit, as is fire and water. The trees, flowers and rocks also harbor the spirit. Pantheistic beliefs are better defined by Egyptian, Greek, Roman and Nordic cultures. Hinduism is also based on a Pantheon.

1. relache profile image89
      relacheposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Pantheism does not mean belief in a pantheon of deities.  It's the belief that Nature and Divinity (God) are the same.

I agree with you, relache.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
          Druid Dudeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Pan means more than one. Monotheism is one God responsible for all creation. You are contradicting the meaning.

2. Druid Dude profile image61
        Druid Dudeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Look at the word Pan theism/Pan theon. Hello?

Yes, agreed; however, that's not the actual definition of the word pantheism.

4. iantoPF profile image85
    iantoPFposted 5 years ago

The most beautiful expression of Pantheism I have ever read is in the Bhagavad Gita, the holy book of the Hindu. In the 6th teaching "The Man of Discipline" Krishna says;
    (6:30) “If you see me in all things and see all things in me, then you will never lose sight of me, and I will never lose sight of you.”

For the record I am a Polytheist.

iantopf - That is absolutely breathtaking. Thank you so much for sharing that lovely passage.

working