jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Is it fair to make these connections between crime and Pakistani men?

1. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 4 years ago

I recently watched an episode of a show here in the UK called Dispatches. This is a documentary show and the particular documentary was called 'Britain's Sex Gangs' and investigated a crime that targets young girls between 11-14 are targeted by gangs, groomed and sexually exploited (often being raped by many men for money to be paid to the gang member who organizes it). The youtube video is here, http://youtu.be/YoSpe_nl5y8.
    In the show they talk about how this crime has been reported as a crime mostly perpetrated by Pakistani men. The father of a young man imprisoned for pedophilia and rape of a young girl like this in the video talks about how he blames society, the parents of the girls and the girls themselves for what his son had done. The documentary did try to show how extreme racists groups here are using this to further racial tensions and did try to say that while this crime is largely committed by Pakistani men the number of Pakistani men who engage in this crime in comparison to the Pakistani community as a whole is actually a very small percent.

I do not like to be quick to judge a group of people based on the actions of a few individuals but in this case I am finding it very hard not to think that the religious teachings these men are receiving is a big factor in why they are committing this crime.

Do you guys think it is fair to come to the conclusion that Islam, in its teachings around gender roles and how men are allowed to treat women (especially western women) should take a portion of the blame instead of shifting it to the victims?

Warning, the video might not be suitable for younger viewers and you will be asked by youtube if you want to watch.

2. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 4 years ago

If there is any problem watching the video (some region problem, usual suspect) I found an article written by the presenter of the documentary here http://www.sott.net/articles/show/23750 … sex-gangs-

3. 0
    Emile Rposted 4 years ago

I couldn't bring the video up. But, I have often wondered that. Islam seems to sexualize women to such a bizarre degree. It's as if the sight of an ankle is all it takes for the muslim male to want to immediately rape a woman.

Couple that inability to control themselves with a religion that teaches women are lesser creatures and I think you have a recipe for that type of behavior.

1. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I do wonder why Islam doesn't seem to teach self control so much. The women seem to be expected to have the highest degree of self control but the men have no end of excuses for not being in control of themselves. If our western women are such infidels maybe taking pleasure from them should make an infidel of the Muslim men?

4. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 4 years ago

is it fair to make the connection? no.....the sex trade with youth starts out pretty much the way the article describes (not always through gang rape however)...they are befriended and it doesn't take very long (teens can become BFFs within a very, very short time), raped, sometimes drugged, isolated, traumatized and turned out to the sex trade....behind closed doors.  Pimps are men/boys from many backgrounds/cultures...and sometimes women/girls groom/pimp....  I'm referring to what I know happens in Canada.