Reaching Alternate States of Reality Without Drugs

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (36 posts)
  1. jdeschene profile image61
    jdescheneposted 15 years ago

Just what the title says.  Does anybody know of ways to reach alternate states of reality without using drugs?

Thanks,
    John

1. profile image0
      Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Three ways:

Join a cult and do everything they tell you and surrender your autonomy (you don't want to do this, trust me).

Become a Buddhist and learn their ways of meditation and surrender part of your rational mind to their somewhat irrational doctrines.

Learn the techniques apart from the religious/spiritual setting and practice them on your own being careful to not become addicted to them and realizing that you are open to suggestion  for an hour or two after you leave a trance state.

My advice in a nutshell.

Everything in moderation, even different states of consciousness.

The human being cannot exist with too much of a good thing for too long before it's own nature takes it to task.

I wouldn't call this advice "enlightenment" but it could save you 4 or 5 decades or so of utter bullshit of one sort or another.

tongue

2. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Meditation.
      The Shamans would administor drugs to their apprentices in order to open their mind up.Some would be given less and some none at all,depending on what the Shaman saw in the apprentice.The idea is the vision of God can be too shocking for a human and this is just a preperation.
      For magic mushrooms the shamans descibe is as the flesh of the Gods and the dance with the angles.NOT GOD.
      Some sages smoke Marijuana as this slows down your breath and your thoughts which enables  you meditate or cencentrate . smile

1. mohitmisra profile image59

Some sages are tottaly against drugs as they believe yes it does help your kundalini rise ,but
        it is damaging and you have no control while in meditation you have control.

1. SparklingJewel profile image66
          SparklingJewelposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Mystical teachings say there is a "sacred sheath" of sorts that protects our most holy inner being from lower/astral/evil forces that are not in accordance with the will of the universe (i.e. God's will, natural order of the universe, divine plan, divine blueprint, etc...) to do drugs or anything that is purposefully intended to pierce this sheath is harming onesself, and a karma that will need to be balanced. Prematurely raising the kundalini without maintaining this sheath of protection is also damaging and corruptive to one's soul protection.

There is much confusion concerning the significance of "seeming supernatural" power from corruption of ones sacred sheath. These kinds of powers are not in accordance with universal law and order and have caused much harm, much accumulated harm over time, all for the purpose of attaining these "supposed powers", and that is a karma still needing to be balanced. Ego desire for these powers is never correct.

smile
            Very often the person may believe he has come across God with drugs but the shamans warn you that superconscious states are not the same as Krishna or Christ consciousness-God consciousness.
            Meditation or one pointed concentration is the key,
            But who says there is no fee? smile

3. Jewels profile image83
      Jewelsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Meditation is one way.  The state of Bliss is akin to being out of the mind and there is often a feeling of being out of the body as well.  If you're out of your chattering blah blah mind, you usually don't feel your body.  And when you come back to the ordinary state of consciousness, you'd swear you must have been on drugs to experience the state.  Bliss is not difficult to get into if you are a serious regular meditator.

Deep relaxation is also another way.  There are states you can get into if you can hold consciousness (ie not fall asleep) that are amazingly serene.  Not just a rested serene, but a 'where did I go' serene.

Both of the states I'm referring to require you to go inward into yourself, not be pulled out by music or an external stimulus

Good thing about these two practices is you don't get a hangover. big_smile

Meditation,relaxation and concentration are connected. smile

4. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

sure...give your self a little bit of "fear" enough to cause post tramatic stress and that should alter your reality just fine.  smile

5. Jewels profile image83
      Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  Meditation,  Not the relaxation kind, the real kind.  Out of the mind, stillness, centerdness kind.  Requires practice and discipline and the actual desire to do it.

This may help: http://hubpages.com/hub/Third_Eye_Meditation

Possible experiences: http://hubpages.com/hub/A-Waltz-With-The-Gods

Can lead to the expansion of consciousness and
      Understanding some pieces of what's possible to see: http://hubpages.com/hub/Consciousness__ … _the_Brain

By the way, I'm not advertising my hubs, but it may help answer your question.

6. marinealways24 profile image59
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do a cage fight.

7. tksensei profile image59
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What's wrong with THIS state of reality?

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You wanna list that long? smile

2. jdeschene profile image61
    jdescheneposted 15 years ago

Thanks for the advice.  And the infusion of humor was much appreciated.  smile

1. profile image0
      Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Your very welcome.

smile

3. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

There are techniques for 'Astral Projection'. Maybe try reading Carlos Castaneda's don Juan's Teachings. Not the first two books which based mostly on drugs, but the third and fourth which are mostly not.

4. maestrowhit profile image61
    maestrowhitposted 15 years ago

don't eat or sleep for as long as you can stand it. Trust me on this one. It's tough, but if you're aiming for alternate state of mind, it's the jackpot.

1. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thats what I was going to say. but why does anybody want to do that?

5. astralprojection1 profile image60
    astralprojection1posted 14 years ago

meditation with binaural beats i was  a non skeptical too at first but after trying this audio's i have totally feel in love with them  try them out...they are free They let you reach alpha state less then 15 minutes alpha state is almost like marijuana state but with out the stinky smell or munchies ^_^

http://astralprojection.brighterplanet. … tation-mp3

6. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 14 years ago

Hmm, nobody has yet mentioned communion with another person - to me that is THE fastest and most direct route. Solitary meditation will get you there, too, but it takes longer to "lock in" to the state. Two people keep one another on track with their intention.

I haven't tried the binaural stuff, but a friend of mine swears by it, so I ordered a CD last week.

But honestly, there are so many other benefits to communion - another person is far more interesting and pleasurable to focus on than a candle, but produces the same effect, and faster.

Having another person's energy in one's space makes it easier to rewire oneself, too, if meditating for that purpose. As long as the person is at a similar spiritual level and has a benevolent intention, of course, but why would you commune with them if they didn't? And how, for that matter? I don't think I could merge with someone who was unenlightened or hostile, even subconsciously hostile. It just wouldn't happen.

Even just sitting three feet apart and gazing into one another's eyes, you can see the illusion of reality starting to fade. Get a little closer, so you can feel inside one another, and all sensation of having a body at all simply evaporates.

It's blissful, awesome, and every other superlative.

Jenny

1. Jewels profile image83

Ahhh, Jenny, I've done this practice also.  We call them Vision Spaces and you combiness with the person you are with. Like you see through them, not just looking at them.  Can see the spirit or higher level of the person and not the little biped down here.  Can have some phenomenal experiences for sure.

7. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

Fall in love.

8. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Have more than two kids.

9. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

and keep living with your mother

10. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

really good sex?

Thats cheating! smile change of brain chemistry.

1. Inspirepub profile image73
        Inspirepubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But no drugs, which was the OP's question.

And Colebabie - try combining really good sex WITH the communion I talked about earlier ...

Jenny

1. Colebabie profile image60
          Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Depends on what you mean by drugs. Do neurotransmitters count? smile

Or nootropics, or "smart foods?"

11. Sanctus Vesania profile image60
    Sanctus Vesaniaposted 14 years ago

music.  You have to find the right kind, but I remember that one night I was listening to this band 'Esoteric' and their album 'The Maniacal Vale' while drifting off to sleep.

The experience was not normal, and I drifted off to sleep seeing moving images and colors.

12. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Life on Earth is short.  I don't want to miss any by looking for any altered states of consciousness.  It's bad enough we have to sleep.   smile

13. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Drugs are a part of brain chemistry, we don't have any states without them. Some fine tuning adjustments are OK if the chemistry is out of wack, smile

14. DennisBarker profile image61
    DennisBarkerposted 14 years ago

My personal choice has been meditiation, reiki self treatment if its done properly is a form of hands on meditation which can open up people to higher / or at least different perspectives.

I've never been a fan of the drug related routes, I'm too sensitive to everything for those to be possible for me.

The route you should take depends upon your underlying personality characteristics and sensitivity to external stimuli.

Its possible to use external stimulus to produce "other" states of consciousness in my experience. Stillness and contemplation of a good book can do that for you. Doesn't have to be chemical stimulants.

Use a seed idea or thought and develop it slowly internally and externally (i.e.e write dowwn your thoughts and feelings)This is enough to provide some insights into ones own behaviour and motivations.Somebody with a phd would probably describe that as cognitive behavioural therapy, I would call it observing yourself and being prepared to adapt yourself if something isn't working  for you.
    Regards
    Dennis

15. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Sorry, my answer is still really good sex.

1. Jewels profile image83

I agree with this, truly phenomenal experiences are achievable.

16. phonereversetrace profile image60
    phonereversetraceposted 14 years ago

Meditation will absolutely do this; I can personally attest to reaching altered states of reality as a result of meditating.

But I don't seek them out, and it is probably best not to, lest you get too caught up in it and become "lost" in an astral realm or something (which I have read about happening to some people). I prefer to use it for spiritual growth, not entertainment.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)