Is Religious Discrimination Wrong?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. marriedwithdebt profile image76
    marriedwithdebtposted 12 years ago

So, I generally try to stay away from religious topics, but I just got to thinking after reading an article about people who won't vote for Romney or Huntsman because they are Mormons.

Is it really wrong to discriminate based on religion?

Let me start out by saying that I'm 110% against discrimination based on things that are beyond people's control: gender, color of skin, disability, sexual orientation, age, etc. I fiercely oppose this discrimination wherever I see it. I DO NOT stay quiet if I witness it.

So on to religious discrimination...

Pretend that I'm a hiring manager for a sales firm. (I am not) - this is for discussion purposes. I interview a man and he seems good, but then I ask him if he has any questions for me. He asks "I am a devout Muslim and I will not shake hands with women nor will I sit at a table with them and discuss business. Will that be a problem?"

Yes, it's a huge problem. Many of the companies I deal with are owned by women. I tell him that I will not be able to hire him.

I have just committed religious discrimination.

Another person walks in and when it gets to the point that she asks me questions, she says - "I am a devout Christian and it is my calling to try to convert everyone I meet. Is it OK that at the end of every sales meeting, I do a presentation on the Southern Baptist Church and ask if they have found Christ?"

No, I tell her. I cannot hire you. I have discriminated again.

What I am trying to get at is, isn't religious discrimination simply taking a look at the ideas that someone has chosen to subscribe to, and judging them based on their merits?

Isn't that what we should strive for as a civilized people?

Let's say I adhere to a religion that believes children should provide slave labor then be forced into arranged marriages at the age of 10. If I tell you this, is it wrong that you refuse to hire me or to be my friend?

I must also say that I do not believe AT ALL that people should be punished for their beliefs, UNLESS they manifest as criminal acts (i.e. polygamy, child abuse, etc).

I'M LOOKING FOR AN HONEST DEBATE ON RELIGIOUS DISCRIMINATION. THIS IS NOT A DISCUSSION ON WHETHER GOD IS REAL, WHOSE GOD IS BETTER, ETC. IF YOU CANNOT RESPECT THIS REQUEST, PLEASE REFRAIN FROM WEIGHING IN.

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nope, you have told him the requirements of the position and he has refused to abide by them. It doesn't matter what the reason.

Nope, they want to use company paid time to further their own personal agendas.

Not unless the candidate plans to provide slave labor or arrange someones marriage at work.

2. LookingForWalden profile image60
      LookingForWaldenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

First, I must applaud your beliefs as I share similar ones myself.

You go on to pose an interesting question.
      I guess I would imagine that if someone's religion interfered with anyone else's civil rights or freedoms then that is where the line would be drawn. That's why having a secular government seems to be best. The law of the nation trumps laws of religion and protects everyone.

3. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Discriminating is not a useful exercise in any endeavor.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

A person's practices are a legitimate parameter as to hiring decisions. It does not matter what that person's reasons are for those practices. That is the ethical answer. As to the legal answer, who the hell knows...?

3. marriedwithdebt profile image76
    marriedwithdebtposted 12 years ago

I don't want everyone to get bogged down on te legal stuff. I'm asking if it is ok to morally discriminate based on religion and ideas.

Thanks for your thoughts. Hope to have an interesting discussion...

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Discrimination isn't and cannot be a moral action. It can only be an immoral action, which is bad.

However, voting for people isn't solely based on religion of that individual, so there's no discrimination.

1. marriedwithdebt profile image76
        marriedwithdebtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So you never judge someone based on their ideas, or you feel like a bad person when you do?

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't judge people based on their ideas. I judge the idea based on it's merit. I judge people based on their actions.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think maybe you're confusing discrimination with discretion.
      Everyone have (or should have) the right to use their discretion without being accused of discrimination.
      Unlike the rules we're being force-fed these days, it really really is okay to NOT like someone's attitude or actions.  Or even their religion.  It's okay to avoid someone if you don't like them or their actions including their religion!  It's just not okay to persecute them or personally attack them or try to enact some sort of vengeance upon them.  Heck, it's okay to not like someone's hair color or face or clothing.  Is that a new concept?  I don't think so.  It's a human right that's slowly being taken from us in this age of activism and calls for tolerance for anything and everything.

4. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I know quite a few people with what I consider bizarre religious beliefs. I don't judge them by that. But, they don't work for me and they aren't asking that I vote to allow them to represent me.

I would prefer not to hire the devoutly religious, but that is based on their actions also. I don't think they make good workers.

I would never vote for one, but that is based on their beliefs. They wouldn't be representative of the people they were supposed to be working for.

I don't consider myself prejudiced on any of those counts

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

marker

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What are you marking?

6. vintageglamour profile image60
    vintageglamourposted 12 years ago

i think it's wrong

beneath most religions is a thread of commonality anyway. people are just too caught up in the labelling of each religion to see that. it's highly unfortunate.

i'm not a fan of organized religion though. i prefer to read and learn about different religions on my own or hopefully one day through travel.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)