jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)

Catholics: How do you like the New Roman MIssal ?

1. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

I'm never good with change but I'm trying not be overly reactionary to the new changes implemented to the Catholic Mass.
    I can only imagine what the 70+ crowd must think?
    I mean, you spend decades reciting the Apostles' Creed by rote. You are proud of your ability to pray along with every word. Then suddenly they inject some really weird (but apparently more literally translated) words in -- is this a giant test to see if we are paying attention???

For me, I think the really simply ones like changing from "And also with you" to
    "And with your spirit" are going to be the toughest.

What do others think about the changes?
    Oh, and the "pew cards" -- aren't they nifty???

1. Disappearinghead profile image88
      Disappearingheadposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I wasn't aware that when I face judgement I'm going to be tested on what I could recite from memory.

2. aka-dj profile image79
      aka-djposted 5 years ago in reply to this

A commonly quoted cliche' states, "the only constant is change".

We all resist it to some degree, but change we must.
      As far as changes within the Catholic Church service ar concerned, I'm no longer a member of the RCC. Left it decades ago, because they had NO LIFE, just form and ritual.

Not sure if that makes sense to many people, but that's my experience.

Besides that, if a church (I mean any local church/assembly) doesn't stay true to what the Bible teaches, I'm outa there like a shot. Life is too valuable and short for me to waste both of mine. smile

3. pennyofheaven profile image81
      pennyofheavenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

So it has never changed before? Perhaps its a good thing. The generation of today and future generations may not relate to ancient versions?

4. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

MightyM - I'm only 60 but I remember using "and with your spirit" then it was changed to "and also with you".  So now they're changing it back?  I don't do Catholic anymore.

Mighty Momposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Exactly.
        Vatican II was big modernization in the 1960s I believe.
        Now they are changing things back to more traditional interpretations (could it be pressure/competition from all those Bible-based Christian churches?) lol

I seriously think it's so we can no longer go in, zone out and recite from memory -- which is exactly what I was looking to do when I stumbled into Day 1/First Sunday of Advent/First day of the new Church year this weekend.
        Some of the wording changes are just -- bizarre.
        I may write a hub about this.

5. lobobrandon profile image81
      lobobrandonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

And the part where it says - descended to the dead is now descended into hell. I was just thinking about it and wondered does everyone go to hell when they die?

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago in reply to this

..better not!...big_smile

1. lobobrandon profile image81
          lobobrandonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hmmm smile

2. thearbiter0808 profile image60
    thearbiter0808posted 5 years ago

Times change, and what the church did was to cope up with this change. Per pennyofheaven, the futures may not relate to ancient versions. Exactly!

3. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

The specific word changes in this new Roman Missal are not appeasing any current or future generations. Going in the opposite direction -- toward a more literal translation. Which should please the Biblical scholars/purists.

But yeah, the Church changes in a radical way once a century -- whether we need to or not. smile

4. paradigmsearch profile image88
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

God is God. Religion is human made. So, as each new generation of humans comes along, the religion gets changed. As far as I know, most religions allow you to leave that religion unharmed when you no longer agree with that religion. Thus, in general, it is not a big deal and all is well.

5. Perspycacious profile image75
    Perspycaciousposted 5 years ago

When you do write that Hub, remind people that no words can ever substitute for deeds.  For all His teaching of the commandments while on earth, Christ is best known as an example.

1. pennyofheaven profile image81
      pennyofheavenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well said

6. sofs profile image86
    sofsposted 5 years ago

I was wondering ..as it is people hardly make any effort to participate and with the changes..some may just give up and become mute as the existing 90 % already are... I would be glad if instead of making these changes they sent the priest to get themselves more acquainted with the Word and not give all those meaningless sermons and confuse the people who have little or no understanding.. IMO

Mighty Momposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think there's a broad spectrum of sermon relevance out there. I guess I've been lucky recently. We've had two darling Irish priests in a row. Both have a sense of humor and don't love to hear themselves speak. Their sermons are quite listenable and not preachy.

But I totally agree with the "mute" part. That's how I've become on the singing thing. All of sudden my otherwise "normal" parish is jazzing it up with the music. I mean drumset, bass guitar, piano and "pop" like songs.
      I feel like a reactionary, but I do NOT like singing all the responsorials.
      I like saying them!

1. sofs profile image86
        sofsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You are lucky... some of the stuff that passes of as sermon here have no connection to the Word at all... we need to change the way we worship, not just a few prayers we can belt out in our sleep...
        Last Sunday we had a priest who said the confession of faith in such a hurry that before the congregation could get to a decent start, he had finished with the Amen... we did not know what hit us... LOL
        What is the need to say a prayer if you do not have the time to pause and reflect... roll
        The youth I mentor were left with more questions than answers.. sad

working