jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (19 posts)

Purpose of Life

1. anupma profile image75
    anupmaposted 4 years ago

What is the main purpose of Life?
    - To dedicate life in the feet of God
    - or to enjoy life each and every moment as we get it once.

1. Shadesbreath profile image89
      Shadesbreathposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The question presents a false binary. The way it is asked assumes that if people dedicate their lives "in the feet of God" then they will not "enjoy life each and every moment." By asking this in an "either-or" format, people are trapped into taking a side that does not necessarily have to be taken.

I know many religious people who reckon themselves as living a life subservient, worshipful and even obsequious to their particular god or gods, but who ALSO try to enjoy every moment of life. By injecting the "as we get it once" at the end of the question, a logically fallacious pit opens up into which people who take the question at "face value" may fall.

Perhaps a more candid and forthright question would be to just come out and ask: Do you believe in God?

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image88
        Mikel G Robertsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

2. pennyofheaven profile image83
      pennyofheavenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If you ever figure that one out and if there actually IS one as ashtonfly says I will be interested to know.

2. 0
    Emile Rposted 4 years ago

I'd love to meet the person who aspired to live in the feet of God.

3. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 4 years ago

B, with the caveat, to share that enjoyment of life with as many people as are willing to share with you! This way you turn those few precious moments that you are here on this planet into a reason for others to also feel joy and satisfaction of the moment. The only thing better then being happy is sharing your happiness with others so far as I can tell big_smile

4. melpor profile image88
    melporposted 4 years ago

I personally believe we should enjoy every moment we have. That is the purpose of life to me. Life is very fragile and unpredictable. We all see the fragility and the unpredictability of life everyday.

5. LookingForWalden profile image61
    LookingForWaldenposted 4 years ago

Procreate, ensure survival of the species.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 4 years ago in reply to this

....and the purpose of the species surviving is? In your opinion of course big_smile

This just seems the natural next step in this line of thinking smile

6. Disappearinghead profile image87
    Disappearingheadposted 4 years ago

7. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 4 years ago

It is ours to understand the spiritual to the point where we don't feel the need to focus on it, then we can really enjoy the second part of your question...so I believe that one does not exclude the other.

8. shogan profile image88
    shoganposted 4 years ago

Huh.  Your first choice would explain the smell around here.

9. 0
    klarawieckposted 4 years ago

What does the dyslexic asks himself every morning?

"Is there really a dog?"

(pls don't shoot me for the bad joke... I'm a teacher. I hear them everyday!)big_smile

1. Shadesbreath profile image89
      Shadesbreathposted 4 years ago in reply to this

LOL I actually made that joke in a hub on the origins of religion.

10. AshtonFirefly profile image83
    AshtonFireflyposted 4 years ago

Hmm...that would be to assume that there IS a purpose to life...

11. 0
    Cranfordjsposted 4 years ago

To serve Jesus Christ because he died for our sins. hehe jk!

12. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

Purpose of Life?

Sorry folks, a purpose isn't granted or given. It's created by every individual.

1. Titen-Sxull profile image94
      Titen-Sxullposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree wholeheartedly with Cagsil. Even those who claim to walk in the footsteps of Saints and gods will give you a different answer when you ask what the purpose is for their life. Furthermore if you ask what in life someone finds meaningful it  isn't always related to what, if anything, they deem as the purpose of their life.

For instance someone might tell you the purpose of their life is to serve God, but they might find meaning in spending time with their children or spouse. Some may say that getting into some afterlife paradise is the purpose of life but they might find satisfaction in going to work every day to help feed their family.

The point is that some grand divine meaning to life would belittle all the little things we as human beings find meaningful from the laugh of a child to the embrace of a lover. It is clear that we are the ones who give meaning and purpose to our lives.

13. chuckbl profile image87
    chuckblposted 4 years ago

To love as much as you can, to do your best with every opportunity you are presented with, i.e. being a good parent, sister/brother, employee or employer and to ultimately try and make as many people happy as you can (within reason). Some of those things are hard work, but they should pay off and make you happy. Even when things are really bad in life, if you have enough good friends and family, then you can get through everything. smile