jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Definition of a dead or dying church

1. DeadChurchRising profile image59
    DeadChurchRisingposted 4 years ago

I'm continually frustrated by churches that do not seem to be reaching those who are far from Jesus.  Is it fair to say that these churches are dead or dying?  How would you define a dead or dying church?

1. 0
      Virgil Newsomeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I believe Paul defined a dying or dead church in his second letter to Timothy Chapter 3.  Also in Revelation Chapter 17, Jesus spoke to John about the whore who sat on the beast.  This is the Church also, though it is not the whole Church.

2. brittanytodd profile image90
      brittanytoddposted 4 years ago in reply to this

How do you define "reaching those who are far from Jesus"?  What is the goal?

3. A Troubled Man profile image60
      A Troubled Manposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Perhaps, people are getting tired from being reached by churches and can find Jesus well enough on their own, if that is indeed what THEY want and what THEY need.

4. jacharless profile image82
      jacharlessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

church is defined as a place or temple of worship/praise;
      therefore, in essence, every human is such a vessel.

"Jesus" is the reason the churches are so far away from the Father.
      Men have decided to worship a man as a god, rather than the Father who the man commanded all to worship(love by action) and not worship him, the man.

and, sadly, every "church" who does such and refuses the true anointing/empowerment, as Adam had, dies.
      This was Adams curse, if you remembers correctly...

2. Captain Redbeard profile image61
    Captain Redbeardposted 4 years ago

Thats tricky.....my home church was foreclosed on three years ago because of a split over a difference of opinion among the people. After the split, the bills stacked up and eventually it was forclosed on. Three years later the people hat stayed after the split and that experienced the doors closing, we all still speak and hangout as often as possible even if alot of us are going to different churches now.

I think that no matter the building that the people congregate in, the church will thrive forever and always. Buildings, well they close all the time, but a building never defined my faith or responsiblities smile

3. Smokes Angel profile image77
    Smokes Angelposted 4 years ago

A dead or dying church is one that is shrinking and no longer has the Holy Spirit present.  There is no joy in that church.  The pastor may continually preach salvation because the Holy Spirit can no longer get through the cloud around him and give him a good message

4. whoisbid profile image79
    whoisbidposted 4 years ago

Reaching out to people does not mean the same thing to everyone

5. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 4 years ago

I feel churches reaching out to people today is not as it was so many years ago.  Churches seem to have as many problem on their own to effectly execute their doctrine.  The focus usually is the congregation which is to say many churches have become clubs.  People celebrating and worshipping inside the church while the world ourside those doors are on their way to hell.

Effectly pastoring to other seem to be a lost art as more efforts are being made to collecting money then teaching holy faith.  We want to talk about separation of church and state but there isn't much separation which it comes to collecting money or avoid collecting money which is to say finances seems to be a major issues with reaching once again church members rather then society itself.