Religion divides us:Sport unite Us, Why?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (61 posts)
  1. Felixedet2000 profile image58
    Felixedet2000posted 12 years ago

When you take a critical look at the issue of religion and world peace, you will find out that the main reason for violence in the world is based on religious beliefs.
    Religion instead of uniting the whole world has always been at the forefront of disunity.
    Sport on the other hand has been a strong tool for world peace and unity.

Is Religion important in modern world?
    What is your own candid opinion?

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you serious? Have you seen the riots brought on by sporting events? The people trampled in stadiums? If that's peace and unity, I'll pass.

Felixedet2000posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Those are emotional circumstances that weren't properly managed, To be serious, Sport extremism becomes a child's play when compared to the fundamentalist ideology religious extremism offers.

No Sporting hatred has ever produce anything remotely closer to the wonderful conflagration that engulf the world trade center popularly known as 9/11
        Is there any?

1. profile image0

Religious violence is also emotional circumstances that weren't handled appropriately. There are plenty of similarities between sports fans and God fans. I'm sorry, I'm sure many will agree with you but I can't quite understand how you came to the conclusion that one unifies and the other divides.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78
            DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Fanatics are fanatics it doesn't matter who they are rooting for.

1. profile image0

Exactly.

2. Felixedet2000 profile image58

Emile R, I want to educate you a little bit on why i said one divides and the other unite, A typical example is the situation in Nigeria, Whenever the country's National Team(Super Eagle) is playing football for instance, From North to South All Nigerians will be in one accords, you need to see the unity that never existed prior to the match.

On the other hand, an ordinary cartoon from a Danish cartoonist sometimes ago about prophet Mohammed led to the killing and brutal destruction of lives and properties in such a manners that one wonders if truly there is any need for religion in the affairs of men.

This is a question for another time.

It is so bad, i know the situation might not be exactly  the same in your country.
            Nevertheless on a global scale, we all are aware of what is happening, the Israeli-Palestinian conflicts is tone in Religion, Either you are for one or for the other.

Conflicts in sport is either due to bad officiating, manipulation, bending rules and other unwholesome practices which get others angry and when people are angry, you can be sure of what to expect.

Religion is a matter that touches the soul of men, they will kill you in my country if you handle an holy book that is not your religion with thanks to God:Um, did i say God?
            Anyway i only know about God, and not about any other whatsoever.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78
              DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So a majority of Muslims united together against an insult to their beloved prophet. Shi'a and Shi'te on common ground and not fighting among themselves.

2. Valerie F profile image60
              Valerie Fposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, the Israeli-Palestinian dispute is a political rather than religious divide.

2. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's what I was gonna say!

2. kess profile image61
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No its not teligion in and of itself...

Its the critical spirit which also motivated this post.

3. AshtonFirefly profile image70
      AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My opinion is that to say that religion is the main reason for violence in the world is a bit of a stretch. As Emile said, sports fans and religious fanatics both take their obsession with their "cause" to an extreme, and cause them to do stupid things. In sports, it's overfanatical fans. In religion, it's overfanatical adherents. So sports and religion can equally divide. The effects of religious division have been more widespread, and maybe that was your point.
        As for sports being a tool for world peace, I'm not sure why you would say that, and you didn't really explain how it would promote world peace. Maybe a tool for national unity, but not worldwide. In the example you gave, you mentioned only the national unity of Nigeria. But the same could be said of religion, if a country is defined by its religion (such as Middle Eastern countries). That is, If they devote themselve to what they believe is a "holy cause," it will unite that nation, but not the world.
        I'm not defending religious fanaticism by any means. I think it's ridiculous. I just find it somewhat inaccurate to say that sports promotes world peace and unity. Sports is naturally competitive in nature. Countries play against countries; there are long standing rivalries between countries, people still get killed over it, etc. If you are simply making a compraison between the negative effects of the two, then yes, those of religious fanaticism would be more widespread.
        That's just my opinion.

Good observation and comment, just like i did to Emile R, Here is another pill for you dude:
        The Olympic competition is a competition with the sole aim of fostering Continental unity and togetherness.It is 100% Sporting Fiesta.

Human beings are social animals, that's their original nature.

Back to the point, The Olympic is there to represent Sport as a tool for world-wide integration Can you mention any such unified event that promotes or try to unify the various world religion?
        Is there any at all?

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70

You asked for opinions, I gave you one. I didn't try to change your mind... 

I don't see that as a pill. If I remember correctly, I affirmed that sporting events can both divide AND unite.

You seem to be assuming it's necessary for religion to have some sort of grand unified event to promote or try to unify world religions, in order for it to be deemed as attempting to promote world peace? My response is: does there have to be some such grand unified event in order for it to do so? You're arbitrarily demanding an action which may not even be relevant to the nature of religion. in sports, an event like that can be created, because of hte nature of sports is to compete. Separate religions may attempt to do so in their own ways, by their own means. I could point out many efforts on their part to do so. Unfortunately it is the religious fanatics that harm people that always get the headlines.
          I feel you have changed your application. You were discussing religion as related to world peace, at first; then you asked if there is any such unified event to unify the various world religions, not to promote world peace... I'm not sure what point you're trying to make now. Unless you feel that unifying the various world religions will promote world peace?

1. profile image55
            Egwim Ngozi Adaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your last statement has said it all. That's exactly what i had in mind while i made the comment to your opinion.

There is so much disunity in the world today, this is the sole reason for the creation of this forum.

Our comment will in a way sort itself out and a clearer way of using religion as a tool to promotes and encourage world peace.

My Bible made me to understand that the Children of darkness have become wiser than the children of light.

There is the need for wisdom to be at the forefront of religious movements.

A unified Religious gathering will make a whole of sense.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
          A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oktoberfest. smile

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70

haha

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
              A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"How Beer Saved The World"

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/how-beer … the-world/

This is a "must see" documentary. smile

1. livelonger profile image86
                livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Where do the teetotalers fit into this? wink

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
                  Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sports heroes is too onesided ccompetition and uniting all Religion is a joke. Besides, more people smoke cannabis than there are Christians.

Nobody has died in human history from pot. The only death and divide is from cartels and police raids. So, lets just get rid of them and 74 year drug war worldwide' Lets relax then make 50,000 other products out of hemp.

As many of you's are getting high and uniting. I'll be the friendly non group---y, clear headed spiritual sided no-man. Elect me as your guild on how to get along because all of you are my worldwide family anyways.

Warning
                  Too much of anything is not healthy for you, except true kindness and love

Habit is a private affair, hemp smoking is mainly for pleasure, it is not in the same league as Religion or Sports.

Religion is a spiritual issue, while sport is physical issue, where does hemp fit in?

Actually, my cousin died in a pot-related DUI....

3. Shadesbreath profile image78
          Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The reason you can't get anyone to agree with you (or take your "pills" and "education") is that you are comparing two things that are only marginally similar: either can serve as a banner under which people unite, but that's the end of the similarity. And while both are based in conflict, sports have a clearly defined "enemy" whereas religion does not. Religion has a label, "evil," and humans are the ones who get to pick and choose who fits the category--usually based on power structures and how leaders choose to interpret obscure and esoteric passages and assign meaning in a way that will suit the purpose of the contemporary politics... all in the name of a god or spirit being, of course.

The fact that you yourself pointed out that religion "touches a man's soul" and sports don't IS the answer you already know but don't see.

While comments above that point out that rabid fans and lunatics will do violence in the name of whatever, a religion or a sport (stupidity only needs an excuse to set itself to work), the big fat difference is God/Gods/Spirits.

Sports do not claim origins in something magical or supernatural. They do not pretend to have all the answers to everything, nor do they try to chart a course for proper behavior throughout a person's life that speaks to every aspect of existence. That is the 'soul touching' thing, perhaps, but it is also the conceit of religion as operated by men who seek power over people, and more importantly, resources.

To put sports in the same category is to ignore the overwhelming difference between the two in favor of focusing on the surface similarities.

You will agree with me that man is a social animal, Either in Sport or Religion:people will always come together in whatever name as you out it.
            The coming together of people i want to believe is usually for a purpose, and that purpose can be anything absolutely.

Religion and Sport seams to have the largest follower ship world-wide
            One of this two i.e Religion affect the political stability of our planet than the other.
            Except you have a contrary opinion. This difference is the reason behind this post.

The aim of this post is not trying to get anyone to agree with me, you got it totally wrong in that context.
            Constructive criticism and superior argument is a better way to explain your point rather than generalize what doesn't exist in my mind regarding this post.
            thanks for the contribution all same.

4. profile image0
      Cranfordjsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sports do not dictate reality in the way religion does. I don't hold a belief that the the opposing team will burn in hell for eternity unless they become a fan of my team.

5. lizzieBoo profile image60
      lizzieBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sport is a religion.

God bless you for this truth you have expose, sport is indeed a religion, religion is a way of life, and sport is a way of life for so many folks.

I want to be narrow minded here.

More like closed minded on this topic

You  think Yahweh owns everything,.that might work at a football game.

1. Valerie F profile image60

Not true. Most religious people see no competition whatsoever with the creation of the universe. They believe they run into trouble when they even try to compete with God. Football is a competition for yardage and control over the ball and the field, and competition is the whole point. Religion and sports cannot be more opposite when we look at their fundamental purpose.

But since it's more and more apparent that you started this thread not to discuss but to bash religion, I don't think you're qualified to criticize anyone for being closed-minded.

o

I did not say you are closed minded, it's just you acting closed minded on this topic. If you are saying, I'm closed minded , then take a tour on every continue on earth like I have, and then tell me if that dose not open up your mind. Also tell what you have learn from travelling through 8 war zone countries where bullets are flying around.

There was no politic in the  beginnings of Religion. Then what evolved was military and religion controlling the masses of the people, then Christianity was born after a few other religions.

Religious countries dominate war today as it relates more now with  religion, dominating  the political arena, fuel-ed by hatred.

What is America 's nation's most popular sport which the Gallup Poll found?.about  37% of all Americans say football is their favourite sport to watch. (kinda of war like, don't you think?)

2ND baseball which relate to politics at 14%

No judgement call here, just an observatio

owwppss

I mean toured 6 continents,, not continue

yet still doing it

6. sjain101 profile image61
      sjain101posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with it. main cause of violence and hatred is religion. religion has emanated from the fear of unknown by our ancestors. Shun religion and adopt humanity and promote sports. thats the way to go

I would not go that far,  for pro athlete who work out most of the day, yes.

For general healthy physical exercise for most people , no

No, the main causes of violence are irrational anger, greed, and lust for power. Even when religion is cited as a cause, in almost every case, it's only the excuse and actually has very little to do with the conflict.

And politics, greed, and lust for power figure way too prominently in sports, particularly in pro sports and, sadly, in my beloved college football. Even our vaunted Olympics have been so tainted.

Religion to is like dwelling or over focus on something which can take you out of balance. Even a person who runs too much could be called to have an addiction or be religious like about it.

I agree that too much pro sports can get religious like and unhealthy for us. Take soccer for example, many fans plan fights and sometimes kill each other. Or take  American football with their war like play. Olympic athlete that are mostly pro and often do injure themselves for life. Lucky I knew when to stop, being my own best doctor.

As far as general healthy physical exercise for most people. The risk of not doing some entertaining sport exercise, is a greater to our over all health.

2. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 12 years ago

Religion would always divide people...we v/s they kinds , where one group is pitched against other and ironically both groups claim to know truth and have god in their sides...

3. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

People are tribal in nature - we all will fight for our tribe - be that our religion, country, football team or even a rumble after school with the school from across town!!

It's human nature!!

1. mischeviousme profile image61
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Because sports are fun and churches are stuffy.

Church can be fun under proper consideration, it is not always stuffy most of the time.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Sport "unites us" mainly in opposing each other (regional teams) or other nations (international matches).  So... basically the same as religion.  In order to have an "us" we need to be opposing a "them".

I see it this way, too.

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me, too. I'm not saying I don't like sports - I do. But even high school football games here in the Deep South can become violent, with players, fans, and coaches getting into fist fights. I've seen it happen numerous times.

Yes, I think that happens everywhere. Whenever membership takes on "tribal" characteristics, then it can turn violent like that. Less ecumenical religious varieties are like that, and so are other tribal groupings where members are encouraged to act as fervent as possible.

That's blind religion, at least that is not the best thing to do. Religion should be attractive and not the other way round.

5. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

Similarly, a forum thread based on a false premise that ask us to explain the truth of that premise can divide or unite us depending on lunar tidal schedules. Why?

6. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

Sports?

Oh, you mean those things where a bunch of overpaid jocks get cheered on by foolish people who think that they are somehow "invested" in the team and that winning or losing matters?  Or did you mean the people who bet on sports professionally or otherwise and at least have a reason to care about whether some multi-millionaire's pets do well or not?

Is that what you are talking about?  It doesn't "unite" me in any way.  I can at least understand the gamblers, but anyone else who gets excited about team sports has nothing in common with me.

Did you mean playing sports?  Sure, that can be fun, but I'd rather go to the gym for my exercise and if I'm going to "play", I prefer something a bit more intellectual, so that doesn't "unite" me with anyone either.

As to religion.. oh, never mind.  I haven't been banned in a while and don't want to risk that for this.

7. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 12 years ago

I also agree with those who asked the question-"How Did You Come To That Understanding?"

Your point about religion causing diversity does have some validation.  It is for the most part not the religion itself but rather people's understanding of that religion.  If someone reads a passage that says we need to do this or that against someone else usually leads to a bad understanding of their faith.  Let's think about this for a moment, When a believer believes they have to do harm to others inorder to gain favor with their belief aren't they're really saying our God is so weak we have to fight for him/her, I question how much of a God they really are worshipping?

Sports unity well I'm sure there are a number of parents at little league games demonstrating sports is an ugly thing.  Have you seen all the hostility in hockey games?  What about soccer, Fans throwing their garbage at sports athletes doesn't look like unity to me.

8. profile image0
    AKA Winstonposted 12 years ago

If you think sports unites, you have never been to Alabama during football season.

sure sport unite, anger comes in when the rules are manipulated for selfish reasons only.

9. A Troubled Man profile image59
    A Troubled Manposted 12 years ago

Wasn't this concept taken to the next level in Rollerball? Corporations ruled the earth and settled their differences with violent sport rather than wars.

10. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

when the Steelers go for a touchdown I say AMEN!!!!!!!!

team fans are regional and they are cohesive in gathering or sports events, but then for some hierarchical and large church orgs they are also more personal and transcends boundaries - countries

11. olodarkwriter profile image60
    olodarkwriterposted 12 years ago

Alabama. UA fans and Auburn fans literally hate each other.

that's is quite understandable. More like disagreeing to agree.

12. whoisbid profile image60
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

Sport also divides. I used to work near a famous football pitch and when the fans used to come it was quite a shock because some of them would like to attack innocent bystanders

13. Felixedet2000 profile image58
    Felixedet2000posted 12 years ago

But, this becomes a child's play when compared to a typical religious violent of any kind, don't you think so?

14. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

@Felixedet2000, interesting idea, but entirely illogical.

Sports, Are You Crazy?

@Emile and others have made it clear that sports can also be divisive. I agree. Sports violence is just as emotional and crazy. Why?

Because both forms of violence are fueled by ego... EGO: that source of selfishness seated in each one of us. Ego is the viewpoint that observes through this mortal lens, clings doggedly to survival and thrives on the sense of entitlement to be right.

Ego is the Enemy!

In fact, any form of evil (violent, passive, seductive, insidious, etc) stems from ego. Secular evil stems from ego, as in corporate greed (where's the religion there?), and government corruption (religion?).

Come on! It's ego. You have one. I have one. And this is the shared insanity true religion is trying to cure. That's what Gautama Siddhartha Buddha cured. That's what Jesus Christ was teaching. That's what the Bible is all about -- a cure of the monster that is ego.

Humility is the Antidote

But be clear about this -- ego is not you. It only thinks it is. That's what makes it so difficult to get rid of it. It's more difficult than Chinese handcuffs. Our inclination is toward survival. Getting rid of ego seems to go against this instinct.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)