jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Is the Bible over exaggerated to you?

1. Johnjfernando profile image60
    Johnjfernandoposted 4 years ago

I am still trying to understand my religious faith although my dad is hindu and now atheist and my mom is catholic. I think the bible is very interestng and am an avid reader. The thing is that we dicussed in our religion class last week as to whether the bible is exaggerated to which many of us agreed. I was unsure, however because I'm still trying to understand the religion of christianity.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image83
      AshtonFireflyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The adherents of the Christian faith are in fact so divided that it's almost impossible even for a Christian to say they understand the religion of Christianity without getting into an argument with someone, to be honest with you.
        What exactly do you mean by exaggerated?
        Different people have different interpretations of the Bible. Each interpretation will render a slightly different meaning to some of the words. . which will influence whether or not you feel it is exaggerated.

1. Jerami profile image79
        Jeramiposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Verry true.

Not only are people today affected by their own (previously established) interpretations (prejadist) ,,,  the people that translated scrpture into what ever language they translate to, Their interpretation was affected by this same action.

Which leads to further interpretation on our part.  When none of it should have ever happened.

Exaggerated ??   Wouldn't be the word I would use when describing Christianity or Islam, or Judiasm in that regard.
            I'm not sure what word I would use , Maybe ... ?  I can't think of any that doesn't apply to humanity as a whole.

2. Cagsil profile image83
      Cagsilposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes. It doesn't take into account much of the knowledge we presently know about the human body, nor do it take into account where humankind's development stage was at during the time of it's creation(the bible). It's written in a primitive language, which required translation. When some words didn't exist in the particular language it was being translated into then other words(metaphors) were used. The breakdown of the parables and authorship of many of the gospels were attributed to people who were illiterate and had no clue how to write.

Not to mention, if half the people who actually read the book, learned more about understanding consciousness(self awareness and the subconscious), then they wouldn't believe as they believe.

But, to each their own I guess.

2. thooghun profile image86
    thooghunposted 4 years ago

I'd say fitting 1.4 million species (of which most have a pair) onto a 500 foot (roughly 50 cubits as described in the bible)  long "arc" quite a stretch.