jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

If Moses lied, then why didn't the Israelites complained?

1. rLcasaLme profile image55
    rLcasaLmeposted 4 years ago

Suppose Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible.
    If Moses lied, then why didn't the Israelites complain on what he has written, and why didn't they become angry when they were forced to worship a god they knew never existed? I mean, they were witnesses, right? So, if they witnessed something and Moses wrote something else, somehow perverted the text to his own purposes, why didn't they complain to or falsified Moses?
    Would like to hear from the experts.

rLcasaLmeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

because of drowsiness, i didn't notice the title wrongly spelled. it's suppose to be complain, not complained. smile

1. lobobrandon profile image82
        lobobrandonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Haha tongue
        I have no answer though sorry

2. DoubleScorpion profile image87
    DoubleScorpionposted 4 years ago

Those first five books were edited by four different schools of thought and were oral traditions mostly until about the time during or right after the Babylonian Exile when it was written down very close to the form we see today in the Tanakh.

Simply put, if there was a difference of opinion, the editors cleared those up to be aligned with the "current beliefs" of the Israelite people of the time.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Moses didn't write the first five books of the Bible, and I have no idea why you would "suppose" that he did.

4. brotheryochanan profile image60
    brotheryochananposted 4 years ago

Moses of course, did not lie.
    It doesn't of course matter what schools edited the books of moses, we have the Qumran discoveries of texts that show the faithfulness of the masoretics to maintain miraculously accurate texts. On all accounts we can be sure the OT is definitely what God intended.

With Moses there were the signs and wonders. When moses for example had them build the tabernacle in the wilderness the pillar of cloud during the day and the pillar of fire at night which proceeded from the tabernacle showed to the hebrew people, God approved.

When moses came to the Hebrews and told them they were to be freed he had signs to show which convinced them and of course when they got to the parting of the sea, moses was instrumental by way of holding out his staff to part the sea.

The Hebrew people never doubted Moses appointment by God, for God verily himself did continually affirm and reaffirm that He, God was with Moses.

So moses lying is not an viable option or like the sons of korah, Moses would have been eliminated by God. God then after moses death appointed Joshua and the people knew that to be fact.

We do find the Hebrew people complaining often, but that is human nature, especially human nature back then. You see, God was much more than just an explanation of the seasons or of the way nature worked, although they appreciated that God created these things, part of the Hebrew dogma was not to worship these things. God wanted the best for his people and God addressed SIN as the root of all societies problems. Of course they fell prey to what people fall prey to, murmurers, whispers, backbiters, haters, envy etc... this is flesh wanting its own way and the Law made it perfectly clear what sin was but gave no power to overcome it, until christ jesus.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm not a Bible scholar.  Didn't they complain about the manna?  Didn't they complain when he was gone up the mountain for so long and they built their golden cow?  These are two I've HEARD about, may have read it in the Bible years ago.

Isn't Moses credited with penning the first 5 books?

2. rLcasaLme profile image55

just exactly what i had in mind.

I couldn't have said it better than brotheryochanan.

5. ThoughtPolice profile image61
    ThoughtPoliceposted 4 years ago

I can tell you this, the israelites were definetly thinking about complaining...

Why they didn't?? They were probably too scared of Moses because he had psychic powers.