Precognition -How is it Possible

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (66 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

My father died today. Just over one month after he was diagnosed with cancer. He was a healthy  and active but older senior citizen. He was 79 and expected to live past the age his mother died, which was at 91.

My sister called me two weeks before my birthday, very upset. My father had told her he didn't expect to be alive at Christmas. I laughed, told her she had heard him wrong, but went to his house with her. He laughed and told her she was mistaken and he would have never said that since it was eleven years before it would be close to his time. We left, but she swore to me it was what he said.

Two weeks later, he was taken into the emergency room and we found out he had cancer; but he should live another five years if everything went all right. A week later we were told four months. Another week and he had a few weeks. Another week and we were told a few days or hours. Now he is dead. Before Christmas.

How did he know? Has anyone been through anything where a person foretold their own future, but didn't know it? Any ideas? He didn't just give up. He was ready to fight every step of the way. Even when he was too weak to stand he was determined to find a way to beat it. I don't understand how anything could take someone so fast like this.

1. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry for the sad demise of your father; the angels must have told him about his death.

2. autumn18 profile image59
      autumn18posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I don't know how it happens but I do think strange things happen where we just "know" things that will happen. Maybe it's in our subconscious or like a sixth sense but it does seem to happen to some people.

3. TMMason profile image60
      TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My sincerest condolences, Emile. Your father is in my prayers.

Some are looking at quantum entanglement as a way to explain pre-cognition.

Here are a couple of interesting articles on the subject.

http://www.science20.com/alpha_meme/sci … fect-84694

http://www.scientificexploration.org/jo … taylor.pdf

Google should have a good cache of docs on the subject.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Mr. Mason. I'll check those out. Thanks for thinking of my Dad, but he's gone now. Wherever he is, it is the best possible place. He was an incredibly kind and generous man. Few could claim to be as good as he was, but he was too humble to know just how unique and special of a person he was.

1. TMMason profile image60

I can personally attest to the fact that he is in a far better place and way than we here.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
            A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol Sure, you can.

1. profile image0

You would have been a hoot at the funeral. Possibly not.

2. TMMason profile image60

Don't be so jealous troub... maybe one day you will get a look too.

I hope you make it back to enjoy the memories for a few.

lol Yeah right, I'll send a postmortumcard.

1. TMMason profile image60

Well... I would hope you would make it back, bro.

The ride is a lil rough... but otherwise not bad.

lol The brain actually remains inside the head and does not travel about. lol

4. profile image0
      Virgil Newsomeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My condolences to you and your family.  I know what it is like to lose a parent.  My mother passed away 12 years ago.  It is an ordeal and a very traumatic thing to have happen.  If you need anything, even if just to talk, let me know and I will listen. 

I have never studied precognition and I have no idea what it entails.  What I do know is that sometimes we say things just sort of half joking but not really meaning them but yet we also believe it is a possibility. 

I also know that God can speak to whomever He wants and it is possible that God let your dad know what was going to happen.  In the Old Testament God sent Isaiah to Hezekiah to tell him to get his house in order because he was going to die. 

One other instance is about an old man I knew.  He was 94 years old and he was a Christian.  His daughter did his grocery shopping for him and helped to take care of his house even though he was very healthy.  He told his daughter to buy only enough groceries to last until the 18th of the month.   He blacked that day out on his calendar. 

He went into the hospital for hip replacement and went through the surgery with no problems or complications.  He passed away peacefully while in the hospital on the 18th of the month.  If I recall corre3ctly, it was the month of September.

In my opinion, God told him the day he was leaving this earth.  Of course I could be wrong because God didn't tell me but I believe God will warn people or let them know in some way.

1. profile image0

One of my Dad's biggest sayings was 'Thy will be done'. It was his way of saying you do the best you can and don't worry if things don't turn out the way you planned. It could simply be what was meant to be. But, I don't think God told him anything. If he did, then my Dad ignored it. None of us were prepared for the chain of events that unfolded.

I will say my Dad left me with the knowledge that he loved me, which was an accomplishment. We are an extremely unemotional family. It's impossible for us to use the love word. I feel a little guilty because, out of all of his children I'm the one he made sure knew how he felt. I'm stronger and at least one other would have benefited more with the knowledge, but I'm the one he showed it to. Now I have to figure why he felt it was important for what little energy he had to be channeled toward me. I'm sure he had a good reason, whatever it turns out to be.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59

lol Yes, the starving are warned of their demise after they realize God refuses to feed them.

1. Repairguy47 profile image59
          Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You blame a God that doesn't exist? Odd.

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

First of all condolences. I have had precognition all my life. I call it psychic intelligence. It is very helpful in finding things without having to look. It is an unconscious facility where one acts on impulse and unthinking. It can be the power to believe you control the future. Not accepted by science because no one knows how it works. My theory is a higher other-dimensional agent imparts the future, and may even alter circumstance so as to produce conformance to a future it intends. That's the best I can do. All that matters.

1. mischeviousme profile image60
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm deeply saddened by your loss. When my mother died, she came to me in a dream. I had toiled hard making her a wood burning, in the dream I tried to give it to her. She told me she didn't need it where she was going and then faded into the distance. The next morning I heard she had passed on, so yes, I do believe in precognition.

1. profile image0

And, maybe it was my sister and not my Dad. It could have been a dream and she didn't realize it. When we were kids she knew our uncle was dead the night before we got the phone call. It's just too hard to see how the statement could be explained away. No one could have seen this coming prior to the emergency room visit.

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Hey Emile, please accept my condolences. sad

4. Debby Bruck profile image66
    Debby Bruckposted 12 years ago

Emile R ~ My condolences for your loss. May his soul be at peace. Blessings, Debby

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Emile, I'm so sorry to hear about your father.  I think we all have the ability to be intuitive, some are more so than others.  I remember talking with my oldest brother on the phone very soon before his passing. He had told me he felt he was dying. Perhaps it's an inherent coping 'mechanism' that helps us accept what is to come.
    May he rest in peace.

6. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

Sorry to hear of your loss Emile. I agree with rebekahELLE and have many times had precognitive experiences. I truly believe that we all have that ability, when we are 'In Tune' with ourselves and our environment. From how you describe your Dad, it may be that he was a lot more in tune to his life flow than he ever said or indicated. It is a Personal attribute after all.

7. Holly Richmond profile image60
    Holly Richmondposted 12 years ago

As I was going through my grandfather's genealogy records, I found a relative who predicted his date of death years in advance and was right.There are a lot of mysteries we can't explain.

8. Alastar Packer profile image70
    Alastar Packerposted 12 years ago

Emile, condolences on your father.  I've come to feel there's an all pervading force that connects everything in creation. The sub-conscious mind is connected to this force and knows and records everything by the spirit-form while in a material body. As time is really only a human perception, the sub-conscious even knows when the spirit form will depart the body. A person who is open to their sub-conscious, or rather releases the block to the best of their ability will see great benefits; and consequently, if beneficial, will in many cases at some point, consciously know the time of their parting.

9. A Troubled Man profile image59
    A Troubled Manposted 12 years ago

My condolences on your loss Emile. I just lost another friend to cancer last Friday. She was young and full of life.

In regards to your fathers prediction, it was most likely coincidence. There are tens of thousands of people who die on the planet every day and many of them did not predict their deaths somewhat accurately while some probably did. Although, the probability of predicting ones death is very low, it can occur.

It's very often we take one event and look at as if its a huge mystery we can't explain, yet it isn't a mystery at all when we compare that one event to the millions/billions of similar events that never occur, but could have occurred.

He did just say "before Christmas" which is not exactly that accurate.

It was basically a guess that happened to be right.

1. profile image0

Don't be ridiculous. smile This wasn't a guess and tomorrow is Christmas so I think the prediction would be considered accurate. The comment was out of character and he had no recollection of having said it; which is not indicative of him either. His mind was sharp as a tack.

I don't grasp at straws and I know you are the sort that doesn't accept them; but there are strange events that happen in this world ATM. I hope someday we get a firm handle on how they exist.

That doesn't mean it wasn't a guess nor was it accurate. Any time and day would be "before Christmas" if it was before Dec. 25.

Some already have got a firm handle and those kind of strange events can be easily explained.

1. profile image0

That's cute. Of course any time would be before Christmas. However, for a healthy individual to state that they didn't expect to be alive a little over a month from the date they spoke, and to be right, is very odd.

Possibly, but brushing oddities aside is no less grasping than making up explanations. Imo.

Maybe somewhat odd, but not unexplainable.

Providing an explanation is not brushing it aside. Are you waiting for a magical explanation?

1. profile image0

Oh. Did you provide an explanation? I must have missed it. smile

No, you chose to ignore it because it wasn't a magical explanation.

1. profile image0

Hmmm, I suppose it is a matter of perception. Something unexplained happened. I'm scratching my head. Not looking for magic, but accepting that I don't know how. You, on the other hand, have no idea what you are talking about; but refuse to accept that weird sh*t happens, from time to time. I don't know, but your perception appears askew from where I'm standing.

lol In other words, I have no magical explanations so I have no idea what I'm talking about.

That is untrue. 

Yes, reality is askew from where you're standing. lol

2. Jerami profile image59
                  Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Some people can not imagine other people being able to see/do things which they can not do. This falls under the catagory of imposible (for them)

lol Yes Jerami, the magical kingdom you aspire to reside has special people that can do things the rest of us can't, because they're magical. lol

10. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

Emile, please accept my condolences for the loss of your father.  I don't really believe in precognition but I think people often have an intuition about such things and they know how they feel deep down inside themselves. I have heard similar stories many times of people "predicting" their own deaths.

11. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.  And although my logic would not allow for the belief in precognition, I nevertheless know that it can and does happen.  My grandfather, who used to serve in India had a dream several nights running, in which he was hit by a bus and lost part of his leg. After these nights, he was crossing a road, when he was hit by a bus, which resulted in him losing part of his leg.  He never forgot his warning dream.

12. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

Emile R; My condolences as well.

Precognition Is a fact. 
      We most often recieve these in our dreams. Many of which we do not conciously remember having, but our subconcious mind does remember.

These precognitive events can often be considered "warnings"   
    Some times when we do remember them, we can alter the outcome.
    And sometimes we can't. In this instance, we are better prepaired to accept whatever we were warned about.
       I've had too many to attempt to count.

1. profile image0

Hi jerami. I wonder if we will ever fully understand how this is possible. I think my Dad may have denied saying it even if he remembered. He would have laughed at the prospect of knowing the future. Not the ability in others, but in himself.

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What a wonderful life it is!

Sometimes I think that the harder we look for something ...  the further we find ourselves from that which we seek.   
          It was right in front of us all along.  Then someone said ...           
        "We should look over there" ??

13. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

Sorry for your loss, Emile.

I am not digging much into precognition topic for plenty of reasons but I have my observation related to death. I have observed few symptoms on face and rest of the body that gives me rough signal about someone's death. This is not precognition but more like calculated observation. I have noticed that stuff after death of my cousin and Uncle this year and I'm confident to say that if the feeling after observation is less clear then we call it precognition. My 2 cents.

1. profile image0

Thanks. Good points. I don't think that would fit this scenario, but maybe. Maybe he did see something and commented on it and then blocked it from his mind.

14. TheMagician profile image87
    TheMagicianposted 12 years ago

Sorry for your loss sad

I don't think I can recall someone telling of their own demise or what was going to happen to them, but I've (on countless occasions) known when something was going to happen. I knew my little sister was going to die before she was even born, and I knew exactly which house out a good handful my family was going to move into next. It's just an odd sense you get...

Actually, I think there was once. My grandmother who had cancer, knew she was going to die soon, and she had said something along the lines of "next week" or "next month". One day, she left a voicemail message on my phone of that "I just called to say I love you" song, and died the next day or two. Ugh hmm

15. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

Precognition -How is it Possible?

It is possible as reasonably mentioned in Quran:

[42:52] And it is not for a man that Allah should speak to him except by revelation or from behind a veil or by sending a messenger to reveal by His command what He pleases. Surely, He is High, Wise.
    [42:53] And thus have We revealed to thee the Word by Our command. Thou didst not know what the Book was, nor what the faith. But We have made it (the revelation) a light, whereby We guide such of Our servants as We please. And truly, thou guidest mankind to the right path,
    [42:54] The path of Allah, to Whom belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth. Behold! to Allah do all things return.

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … p;verse=51

16. TKs view profile image61
    TKs viewposted 12 years ago

My condolences Emile, the loss of a loved one is never easy. Even more difficult if the word 'love' was not in common use.
    Perhaps, as your father was more expressive of his feelings to you than others, he choose to deny his prediction, out of concern for your feelings.
    Cancer is brutal, not only to the victim, but to those around them. It seems some people simply choose not to drag out what is, in the majority of cases, inevitable.
    As to personal predictions, at this point science can neither prove or dis-prove the possibility. I accept them, based in my own experiences. Those who don't accept the possibility, do not have the experience. Life has a way of being somewhat, self fulfilling that way. To each their own.

1. profile image0

Thanks. Don't think it's terrible we don't use the word. We didn't have to say it. Actions speak louder than words, we were raised to believe. I suppose since I'm the baby of the family he may have thought it would be hardest on me. I'm probably being selfish, but I think he was right.

1. TKs view profile image61
        TKs viewposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's good to hear that even if the love was not spoken of, it was understood.
        I don't find you being honest with your feelings and emotions as being selfish.  It hurts, sometimes for a long time. But in the end, how we choose to live out our remaining days, is the greatest tribute we can offer to those who have passed.

17. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

I think most people have had precognitive experiences, even if they don't recognise them.  Usually they are spontaneous or happen in dreams.  Coincidence can be used to explain some of these experiences, but not all.

1. profile image0

I can honestly say I have never had a precognitive experience. I wouldn't say no one else has, and it appeared my Dad did; but it's never happened to me.

1. profile image0
        Muldaniaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The sort of experiences I have had include, dreaming of events which happened after, in exactly the same way as in my dream.  I have also known that the phone is about to ring and who will be calling.  I think these are quite common, but are often not major life-changing experiences.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)