Is a baby a sinner?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (73 posts)
  1. profile image52
    haj3396posted 12 years ago

No!!!!!!! a baby is born in a world of sin and as they Grow the are shaped in obedience are disobedience. But, when they are born they are sin free. Therefore if a baby die as a baby they are saved. a sinner is one who transgress the Law of God. what about what they receive from their parents. A baby only receive the penalty of death and stress

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image61
      Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sin is a man made concept. If there is no god then there is no sin.

Right and wrong is subjective. Saudi's think it is a sin for women to dance in public based on religious text.

Of course, people only follow the texts that they want to follow. Westerners seem to go to any length to claim that they dont have to follow the old testament laws that tell you to kill because they think it is wrong.

Go to another country where killing is not considered wrong, and they will embrace those laws.

Sin is a man made concept and as a result, what constitutes a sin, is decided by man.

1. profile image52
        haj3396posted 12 years agoin reply to this

How is it so ease for you to believe some men and not believe God. Everything is a man made concept, but, question is, is every made concept true or untrue. I believe the man made concept of God is true, and time will answer weather I am right or not.

What men do I believe? I dont believe any of the men that told me god is real.

1. profile image52

yourself! How is that working for you

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
              Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sins and religion are totally man made. As the baby grows into a child, and it's told stories of Biblical sin and all the BS that goes along with it often enough, that child child will grow into adulthood believing it without question.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In our world, 3 out of every 4 people have religion. Interesting observation, don't you think? smile

1. rbe0 profile image60
        rbe0posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Speak for yourself.

In my world everyone has a religion whether they know it or not.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

What world are you from?

2. profile image52

Yes, I agree with you, but, one out of thought 4 are true, Question is which one?

3. brittanytodd profile image89
        brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Everyone has a religion as it is defined as a set of cultural values, belief systems, world views and social norms.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

lol You may want to actually consult a dictionary to alleviate your misunderstanding.

1. brittanytodd profile image89

I did: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion

Even believing in evolution and no God is religion.

If you look up the etymology of the word "religion" it originally meant belief in a god or superhuman power.

It's funny how the meaning of words change over time.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

I did not see any correlation to your claims and that definition. Please explain.

3. Jesus was a hippy profile image61

For the record, the defnition you provided said a set of beliefs concerning the cause of the universe.

Evolution is about life and notthe universe so no, believing in evolution is not a religion.

1. brittanytodd profile image89

Of course.  I guess I wasn't clear in my wording, but I am saying that however you believe the universe was created (naturally or supernaturally), that is your religion, or set of beliefs regarding the origin or the universe.  (Sorry, I am a bit under the weather today and am not able to explain myself as clearly as I want to.)

1. profile image50
                  Jesus isnt happyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I dont know how the universe came to be. I have no belief on the topic whatsoever.

1. profile image52

Therefore, you have a 50/50 choice to make, God or man

3. bulletproofballoo profile image61
      bulletproofballooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As a Christian you have to believe in the origin of sin. In the Garden of Eden all Adam knew was what God had told him. He had no knowledge apart from God. In fact, the one thing Adam was commanded not to do was to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. God wants to be our only source of knowledge. Once Adam and Eve ate of the tree, they had knowledge apart from God. They had no need for God, and would not choose God, because "they now know better." At the moment they ate the fruit, they became dead to God. Dead in the sense that, a tree is a living thing but cannot communicate or hear. Sin is knowledge apart from God. Therefore, a baby is technically a sinner at birth. Now, is there mercy for a human up until a certain age? That is a different question.

1. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nonsense

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
          Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cute story, but not buying it.

2. gvannorman150 profile image63
    gvannorman150posted 12 years ago

I am not one to get into a huge discussion on religious beliefs.  However I believe that a baby is born clean.  Maybe this is where the term "born again" comes from.  You have to be able to make decisions for yourself before you can be blamed for sin. 

What age do you start deciding on what your going to do?  Did you know what you did wrong was considered a sin?  These are things that you need to know before you can consider anyone a sinner. 

My answers are age 8 to 10.  This is where children are starting to understand right and wrong.  They also decide to either do the right thing or the wrong thing.  No, you do not know everything at this age, but you essentially do understand the difference between right and wrong. 

Also when you get baptized you are washing all your prior sins away.  Then you are essentially "born again".  You are clean of all sins and in a biblical sense your perfect.  Then you sin again.  We all do, so this is where repentance helps us stay on the good side of god.

1. profile image52

ThanksI needed that.

3. rbe0 profile image60
    rbe0posted 12 years ago

The title of this thread disgusts me. I have reported you for hatespeech against babies.

4. Kyle Payne profile image61
    Kyle Payneposted 12 years ago

This topic is so protractive, the amount of information you would have to understand it is absolutely staggering.

5. paoloumali profile image61
    paoloumaliposted 12 years ago

If you are a Christian, then I understand you have to believe what your preachers are preaching. Every man is a sinner. So is a baby.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Babies are born with two natural fears, Fear of falling and loud sounds

when they learn how to fear God, at that moment, they begin to sin.

2. profile image52

I am A christian, but I do not think a baby is a sinner. Christian use Psalms 51:5
      Behold, I was shapen IN iniquity; and IN SIN did my mother conceive me. I done think this mean what christian say it mean. I was born in a truck, but that done make me a truck. I believe it's saying that everyone was born in a world of sin and as they grow, they come to the age of make chooses, shapen in iniquity

Why don't they call it adjusting mistakes rather sin, which holds onto quilt and regrets for a whole lifetime

2. profile image0

I agree

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

According to the doctrine of original sin, yes. If you want to believe in the bible and not original sin, that will take some fancy foot work. Because without original sin people could go to heaven without ticking any doctrinal boxes.

According to common sense, no.

1. profile image52

when did sin begin, in heaven, so sin was not of man first.

7. MickeySr profile image77
    MickeySrposted 12 years ago

An infant is not a sinner - a sinner, someone who sins, is a sinner - but, so far, every baby ever born has eventually sinned (with one notable exception). We do what it is our nature to do . . . too many who are eager to gobble-up any and every dried-up old accusation against Christianity think of sin and salvation in terms of some set of religious rules that a brutal god scrutinizes our lives with - this is why they continuously portray Christians as emotionally weak and intellectually hindered people who have been indoctrinated to believe they better do whatever they need to do to escape an eternal hell. This is their screwy conception of what Christianity is and teaches.

The historic Biblical faith sets forth that God is divine and man is mortal, that God is flawlessly perfect love and man is corrupted fearful selfishness - Jesus didn't tell Nicodemus that he better be really good or he'll be punished throughout eternity, He told him he needed to be born of the Spirit. An infant is not a sinner until he sins, but every baby will sin because sin is that which falls short of God's perfect holiness and, as humans, we all fall short of God's perfect holiness. That is why we need a Savior, that is why Jesus came. Jesus didn't come to teach us the way or to demonstrate how to be really, really good, etc - Jesus came to provide the way and to give us the means to be really, really good.

God is the infinite, eternal Spirit and we are material creatures - we need to be transformed if we are to be united to Him forever, and He provides that transformation by giving us His very own Spirit through the atonement of Jesus. It's like the old racism of the 60's; I can't tell you how many people told me (way back when) that the reason they hated Blacks is because a Black person beat-up their sister or took their father's job, etc . . . in a similar manner so many who detest Christianity are again and again people who were raised in an abusive 'Christian' home or went to a hypocritical 'Christian' church, etc. They talk about sin and hell and judgment, etc, while historic Biblical Christianity talks about unity with God through Jesus and the perfect bond of that unity, love. They endlessly argue against a 'Christianity' they've concocted in their mind (and/or picked-up from others) and then fault Christians for . . . you see it in these forums daily.

1. tlmcgaa70 profile image60
      tlmcgaa70posted 12 years agoin reply to this

amen MickeySr

8. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 12 years ago

A baby is absolutely not a sinner

1. profile image52

thank you!!!!

9. sarahperkins profile image74
    sarahperkinsposted 12 years ago

Yes, babies are sinners. We are all born sinners. Babies however can be forgiven and accepted into the kingdom if they pass away as infants. This is because they are too young to understand their faults and are forgiven.

1. profile image52

A sinner is one who sins, when have a baby sinned, To know to do right and do it not is sin. Do a baby know, when they are doing wrong?

2. profile image0

Ridiculous

1. sarahperkins profile image74
        sarahperkinsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are three types of sin:
        Inherent sin- sin that we are born with or inherited because we are a fallen race
        Imputed sin- sin that we are accountable for because of Adam
        Personal sin- sin that we commit on our own

I am saying that babies are unfortunately subjected to the first two. Most people think that all sin is personal sin. This is not the case. Babies are not responsible personal sin because they do not realize their actions. However, we are born with Inherent and Imputed sin because of who we are and because we are of a fallen race.

1. profile image0

Give proof with scripture.

We are born into sin, means sin is all around us, and we have the capacity to sin, but we don't have to.

All sin is chosen acts and personal sin.

2. profile image52

Ezekiel 18-20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him. The only way a person receive sin from there, parents is they watch them and when they come to understanding they do what their parents do.

10. profile image0
    Mtbailzposted 12 years ago

I don't know how anyone can look at a baby and jump to the conclusion that they are sinners. It's a preposterous idea that should have no influence in a modern society. Leave it the hyper-religious to cling to a doctrine made up by ancient men who had no scientific or factual understanding of the universe.

Yes, lost in space wail their feet are still on the ground.

11. Jeff Berndt profile image74
    Jeff Berndtposted 12 years ago

A baby is about the most selfish creature you could ever hope to meet.

Of course he is; he can't possible satisfy his own hunger, ease his own pain, warm himself when he's cold, soothe himself to sleep, etc. Further, he can't communicate beyond a very simple "I'm okay" or "I'm upset about something" or "I'm really really upset about something."

Is selfishness a sin? If so, a baby is a sinner.

Do we make allowances for people who don't know any better? If so, then a baby is not a sinner.

I think we do make allowances for people who don't know any better. Even in Christian belief, Adam and Eve weren't sinners before they ate the fruit of the tree of knowledge, right? But once they ate, they became sinners.

We don't know if Adam or Eve did anything we'd disapprove of before they ate the apple, but it doesn't matter, since they didn't know any better, did they? If you know better, and do it anyway, that's sin, right?

I think "original sin" is a load of garbage used by clever opportunists to scare and control people.

1. profile image52

A baby do not know they are selfish, to know and do it not that sin.

12. phillippeengel profile image82
    phillippeengelposted 12 years ago

Only nothing can there be no sinners.

13. lorenmurcia profile image84
    lorenmurciaposted 12 years ago

How can a baby, who can't even consciously think yet, be a sinner? We become sinners because of sinful acts or thoughts.

The cry too much, that must be a sin.

14. psycheskinner profile image83

Interesting how many Christians think the bible is wrong, the church is wrong and Jesus died for no reason.  Looks to me like either ignorance of one's own religion or hypocrisy.

Original sin is a cornerstone of every major Christian denomination. And yet a whole heap of Christians either don't know or don't care because apparently they know better than their own holy book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_sin

1. profile image0

According to scripture, we are born into sin...meaning it is all around us when we are born.
      When we get old enough we have the capacity to sin. It doesn't mean we have to.

Looks like you need to study the word, because babies cannot sin.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The fact that inherited sin is ridiculous is beside the point.  Belief that sin can be inherited is doctrinal.  Thus, via original sin, you can be (are) a sinner without having personally sinned. Just as you can be (are) saved by Jesus despite being born after he was crucified.

OP also said "are born they are sin free", so use of the active phrase "sinner" is not crucial to his point anyway.  Under Christian doctrine this ("born sin free") is absolutely untrue. So a Christian who wished to assert this would need to make a theological case for it.

1. profile image0

Prove your statements with scripture

You haven't read the Bible?

Romans 5: 12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Corinthians 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Interpretation confirming the notion of original sin within your tradition can no doubt be provided by your priest/preacher/pastor.  It is a pretty basic doctrine.

If you want to interpret the Bible differently, more power to you.  But the head of the major Christian sects all accept that we are born in a state of ancestral sin.

1. profile image0

I've read the Bible many times. Also in Greek and Hebrew.

But I might have known you would quote Paul.

Now give me one where Yahshua (Jesus to you) or one of the Real 12 Apostles taught it.

But even Paul's verses that you quoted, does not show that baby's sin. Sorry better do some studying before teaching erroneous info.

Maybe you two are both right, since the bible is so contradicting

2. profile image52

But the Bible do not say that a baby is a sinner, what the Bible states is to sin we have to transgress the Law of God, it tell us to know to do right and do it not is sin, and all have sinned. but if you take what the Bible states, then you can clearly see that a baby is not a sinner, because they would have to know, and a baby done know.

I think you need to read the bible again.  It says we re all born in a state of sin ('original sin').  I linked to the direct quotes in previous posts.

15. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

no, different developmental psychologists pegged the age of discernment at different ages

what is the definition of sin?

1. profile image52

The transgress of the Law.

16. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

A sinfull baby is original sin, meaning having no legitimate worth, other than by conforming to superior authority external to the self.

17. psycheskinner profile image83

I am reporting doctrine, as explicitly followed by the world's major Christian churches. I quoted the exact passages most of them explicitly use to justify their doctrine.  Like I said, nothing stops you from disagreeing, but under most traditions your position would be heresy (specifically, the heresy of Pelagius, or Pelagainism).  It cannot be represented as normative of "Christianity".

Keep in mind, I don't give a fig either way.  I just find religion interesting, especially the idea of inherited sin.

1. profile image0

I am not Christian. To them everyone is bad except the Christians.

I am Jewish so is my husband.  It's not our doctrine.

Oh and look, the Hebrews wrote the Bible.

Well then, why are you so upset about the Biblical basis for the Christian belief that babies are born in a state of sin?  It is what it is.  My comments were purely directed at stating that original sin is a normative Christian belief.

1. profile image0

First of all, this thread is titled "Is a baby a sinner" Not "Do Christians think a baby is a sinner"
          So this thread is open to all, even the Jewish. Even if it was just for Christians I could still state my opinion.

Second, I am not upset. If I were I would be yelling with Capitol letters, but I don't like to act like that. I am a strong debater though.

18. daskittlez69 profile image76
    daskittlez69posted 12 years ago

Many Christians who profess to believe in the doctrine of original sin do not know what it teaches. Even more Christians are ignorant of its history and origin: that it had its roots in a heathen philosophy, that it has evolved, and that it was made a dogma of the Roman Catholic Church in the fifth century A.D., primarily by Augustine.  Not to mention that original sin is really a theory. The 3 main theories are The Augustinian Theory, The Federal Theory, and The Theory of Mediate Imputation.

19. psycheskinner profile image83

You asked me specifically to back up my point about Christianity with reference to the scripture. It would have helped if you had understood what my point was before doing that.  Even a cursory reading would have shown that I am not, myself, Christian and was making a point specifically about normative Christianity--not some putative absolute truth. And I would argue that "Sorry better do some studying before teaching erroneous info" is not an emotively neutral statement.

I give up. Apparently your form of debate doesn't include taking it up from the point it had reached when you engaged with it.

1. profile image0

I thought you were Christian because you never explained you weren't

I see you get confused and easily upset. I won't discuss the Jewish view of the Bible with you again.

20. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

Evidently sex is dirty and anything that comes of it is tainted. Actually, Jesus said that they were his little angels, and that no one should harm them in any way. This was when he was asked who was the greatest in heaven. He said that anyone who harms a child would be better off never being born. Which raises the question...was God incapable of preventing people from being born? Personally, I think the Big Guy has alotta mental issues. What we have here is an Almighty that is desperately trying to figure himself out...through us.

1. profile image0

Yes, according to scripture, he said we should become like them. They are sinless, full of trust and love.

Matthew 18:3-5
      And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

4. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

5. And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.

1. mischeviousme profile image60
        mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When Jesus said we should be as children, I think he was trying to say to look at it with a simple mind. Not so much to do as adults do and over complicate it. Plus people should not hurt children vfor they are divine and know nothing of suffering. That is until some a-hole comes along and does something to ruin it.

21. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Why baptism then?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)