jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)

Why enlightenment can be a bad thing

1. mischeviousme profile image59
    mischeviousmeposted 5 years ago

Sidhartha Budha said that we are all enlightened and that it is because of this that we act as we do. If my ideals are anydifferent from another, the previous epiphanies of the person to which I am speaking, will be used as an argument or the waging of war. Each path set ot before us is a personal one. It is with great regret that I inform the people that, we are all enlightened and that it doesn't matter.

1. MickeySr profile image88
      MickeySrposted 5 years ago in reply to this

. . . if we are all 'enlightened' then we're not 'enlightened', we're just what we are . . . 'enlightened' suggests a condition contrary to being in the dark, or spiritual blindness, etc - if everyone has 'seen the light', so-to-speak, then being 'enlightened' is simply the normal circumstance of being human, there's no 'enlightening' required ior taking place.

It's funny; so many like to reject and mock Christianity, Paul, the Bible, etc, while they maintain that Jesus was a great guy and one of many 'enlightened' teachers - the idea that Christianity and Paul and the Bible suck but Jesus is cool is a very common and popular notion. However, It's Jesus Himself who so consistently separates Himself from all the other so-called teachers - contrary to Buddha's assertion that we are all enlightened, Jesus taught that we are all blind and spiritually dead.

2. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 5 years ago

Yes... well thanks for that..

But hey my compass seems far more appropriate for the path that I chose to follow!

mischeviousmeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

And that is a good thing. Do what you do and do it as an individual. Don't do it because you think you have to.

1. Pearldiver profile image87
        Pearldiverposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree.. take care

And you as well.

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

"Sidhartha Budha said that we are all enlightened"
    If we are all enlightened, what is with all this 'achievement of enlightenment stuff'? If we were all enlightened human affairs would not be so catastrophic. The fact is minuscule are enlightened. Not an easy thing to do.

Sidhartha also said that people deny truth in all forms. It is our individual beliefs that cause the real problems. Enlightenment does not require religion, only an open minded observer.

4. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 5 years ago

Do you really want to be enlightened? What do you do if you find out the "truth" sucks? You can't be unenlightened. Be careful what you wish for.

True enlightenment is hard to hold onto. The thought or feeling is there one minute and the next, gone.

1. Cara.R profile image80
        Cara.Rposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Like water passing by in a stream.

1. Castlepaloma profile image22
          Castlepalomaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

We all must carry water and chop wood, the only different is, if we choose to do it with enlightenment. 

Taoism

Zen, Chan Budhism, Taoism and many others. I see them as all the same. They are all attempts to ease the suffering of men. By this I am saying that, both Jesus and Budha failed to end that which plaigues the minds of men... Our own egos.

Still an over ego world

Unfortunately... Suffering leads to seeking happiness, happiness leads to suffering. This is a cycle we live with and it will never cease until we can live without shallow desires. Happiness, like posession is only temporary or impermanent.

working