jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (23 posts)

Are you an atheist who celebrates Christmas?

1. capricornrising profile image60
    capricornrisingposted 5 years ago

Why?

1. pedrog profile image16
      pedrogposted 5 years ago in reply to this

PRESENTS!!!

2. 60
      Jesus was a hippoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I celebrate christmas because it is a public holiday and there aren't too many of those in the year.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image84
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

Because Christmas has become bigger than just a religious holiday, it's become more about family togetherness and sharing. And besides, just try and ignore Christmas...

3. skyfire profile image71
    skyfireposted 5 years ago

Atheism is about non-belief in god and It's not about rejecting happiness. That's why.

4. 68
    paarsurreyposted 5 years ago

Atheists are not sure of anything; so they go with the wind.

1. A Troubled Man profile image60
      A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

lol

As opposed to blowing hot air?

5. 0
    Muldaniaposted 5 years ago

Yes, because I love Christmas.  I love the decorations, the familiar Christmas carols, the food, and the sense of expectation in the build-up to the big day.  It is my favourite time of the year.  I even enjoy watching the midnight mass on TV, even though I no longer believe in the religion behind it.  For most of us, Christmas has been a part of who we are since childhood, and I still have the same sense of childish expectation, although what I am expecting, I couldn't say.  And it should be remembered that so much of Christmas is based on different religions, as well as Christianity.  Symbols from Celtic paganism and the Roman festival of Saturnalia, and even the date of 25th of December was originally celebrated as the birthday of the god Mithras.  So in one way or another Christmas has been with us for so long, whether called Saturnalia, Yule or the winter solstice.

1. capricornrising profile image60
      capricornrisingposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Excellent points about other cultural contributions to the holiday. Maybe there's a hub in there somewhere...?

6. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

Are you a Christian who celebrates Christmas even though you believe in only a small portion of the myths and fairy tales that surround and make up the holiday? 

Why?  Why would you celebrate, knowing that Santa, Rudolph, Frosty and most of the rest is only a tall tale for children?

Could it be that the myths and tales of Christianity are but a small part of what Christmas really is?  That it is not necessary to believe in human asexual reproduction to enjoy and participate in the kindness, the goodness and the giving of Christmas?  That we don't need to believe in Gods walking the earth to give a gift, to put up a Xmas tree or other decorations?

Hear! Hear!

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Oddly enough it is only this year, in the forums here, that I have seen so much insistence of the Christ in Christmas concept - the absolute insistence that Christmas is a religious holiday and any form of secular celebration is not really welcome.

Is it just me, or is it the harbinger of future fights as the far right Christians put forth a massive effort to force everyone else into their mold?  While I understand and accept that there will always be "little gods" among us demanding that their beliefs and ways be followed by everyone, it just seems to be getting worse all the time.

But, this is a good thing and I welcome far right Christians to amass even more effort in their insistence, because the more effort they apply, the more damage they do to both their institution and their foundations.

They are only hoisting their own petards and it's an absolute hoot to watch! lol

While you are correct in that they are being hoisted by their own petards and doing themselves enormous damage, the short term effect is painful.

While the long term results of their actions are likely to be beneficial as more and more people reject their power play, it is the short term that bothers me.  Their actions are divisive, hateful and very hurtful to others that are being negatively affected.

True, and I don't recall a time their actions weren't...

But, what's really great is the fact that their actions can now be seen and heard almost instantaneously by so many people due to our cellular and internet technologies, allowing the world complete exposure to such foolishness, in HiDef, too. wink

If we don't allow those who commit such actions the complete freedom to do so, then we'll never really see the true nature of what drives them and recognize it for the damage it does.

And, like you said, unfortunately, there is collateral damage as a result of their actions, but you know and I know the victims are heroes for standing up to the intolerance of a minorities disrespectful demands over the rest of us.

And, that too, shall come to pass... smile

2. 0
          Muldaniaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I believe a lot of Christians feel under attack, because of the need of getting used to living in a multi-cultural society, where many different religions are represented.  Almost every year, here in the UK, there are stories in the papers about some politically correct local council or workplace, which are said to ban Christmas, so as not to offend those of other religions.  I don't know how true such reports are, because I know not everything we read in the papers are true.  Every year, in my city of Birmingham, people say that the council has banned the use of the word Christmas, and refer to it as Winterval instead, so as not to offend Muslims.  People seem to ignore the fact that in Birmingham city centre, there are festive lights hung over every street, with the words "Happy Christmas" for all to see.

However, it is understandable, that some Christians feel that their religion is under attack, if they read all of these reports and take them to heart.  And coming to terms with living in a society, where Christianity is not the only religion and where materialism at Christmas is now more important than the religious message is bound to make people who believe in the literal truth of Christianity feel that their beliefs are less valued than they used to be. 

Personally, although I am an atheist, I appreciate the Christmas message and still believe it has something to offer.  However, I feel the same about the story of 'A Christmas Carol,' in which Scrooge discovers a more worthy and kinder way to live, partly as a result of the Christmas message.

Christianity is under attack, at least in a manner of speaking.  The belief system is being rejected by more and more people, their absolute majority is being eroded quite rapidly, and the result is a feeling of attack. 

The instances you mention can very well be taken as attack, and a very personal one, even though it is not meant as such.  For the most part, these actions are taken in good faith in order to encourage all to live together in harmony, but harmony is the objective of the far right Christians only in that everyone believe the same.

And while I can recognize the feelings that removing the term "christmas" might evoke, these actions simply roll of my back with an internal statement of "How stupid can you get?".  The same way, I suspect, that efforts to force Christianity of everyone is regarded by the Christians; "How stupid to deny public funding for a religious nativity scene" for instance.  "There's nothing wrong with that - we simply celebrate the one true God, just as everyone should".  Yet to me that is abhorrent, just as removal of the word "christmas" is to christians.

There just isn't enough effort being made to understand other ways of life and certainly not to accept them as valid.  Not by the common man in the street.

3. Pcunix profile image90
          Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

They have seen their success in hijacking the GOP and are feeling powerful.

You may have a good point there, PC.  I've never been very active in politics but it does seem that the GOP has been almost totally hijacked in the last few years by the radical Christians. 

While I used to consider myself a republican they have gone too far around that corner for me any more.

1. Pcunix profile image90
              Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It's made it impossible for me to vote for a Republican.  They fall all over each other trying to be more religious than the other guy - it's disgusting.

7. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Why not?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image65
      prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

right, the more the merrier!!

I am a believer.

8. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Celebrating Christmas is a social norm.  You'd need a reason to *not* do it.

working