jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (11 posts)

I want to be many things and anything but myself

1. mischeviousme profile image60
    mischeviousmeposted 5 years ago

My family was a strange mix of religions. My mother was a sufi and my father a buddhist. My great grandmother was a lutheren and her husband a catholic. As I was exposed to so many views as a child, I tried them for myself. I found that to be anything or to be involved in what the crowd wants, only drove me further from myself. I needed something and I couldn't quite figure it out. I found that in needing something, I had been under the sway of desire. Desire to fit in, desire to be part of something and the desire to be anything and anywhere but with myself.

It was when I discovered that it doesn't matter that I was truly free. Free from religion and free from myself. I let my mind be free and it wandered into knowing. The knowing of myself was far more important than knowing and spouting scripture. Those that live by doctrine will never be truly free. I had to learn that the hard way and it took most of my life to figure it out. I have no plans to start over, but I do not mind changing.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What we all need to find the inner truth is liberation from dogma. Know yourself and you know God. God is capable of everything that we are capable of: Hate, jealousy, love, greed. If this were not so, then how could these things be in a creature which is made in the image.

mischeviousmeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It is a simple point, the problem is, we are used to it being complicated. There has to be a catch or it has to be deeper than that. This is the attitude of those that seek truth through religion. There has to be some ritual or some form of incantation. This the attitude that has made true enlightenment so hard to achieve.

2. Kyle Payne profile image60
        Kyle Payneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

When the bible speaks of God and man of the same image, it is appealing to the fact of substance trinitarianism.

maybe the image goes both ways. The ancient Hindus believed that the dream went both ways, so that the universe was a unified idea between the thinker and the thinkers.

This is to say that Brahma dreamt the dreamer and likewise.

1. Kyle Payne profile image60
              Kyle Payneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sir I was referring only to the Bible, that is why I said "When the Bible speaks..."  I was not in any way referring to the ancient Hindus belief system.

I was merely pointing out a correlation and how it pertains to how I see it. I do not think that the bible has the last word nor do I think that of Hindu scripture. I say things that work outside of what you know, so that you will question it. Questions lead to answers and answers to knowledge.

2. lalhtt profile image61
      lalhttposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Buddhism: A Scientific Experimental Path ( All the time we humans have been trying to eliminate or rather suppress the sufferings by engaging ourselves in some or the other pleasure seeking ventures and finally landing in greater problems. )   www.lankalibrary.com

I see what you mean, though I am not a buddhist. I can see how "serenity now, insanity later" can be lichened to such a statement. But I am not religious in any sense of the word. I am simply a man and as a man, I have figured out things the hard way and it took alot of work, though in the end, it was simpler than I once believed.

3. Cara.R profile image80
      Cara.Rposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi Misheviousme,

I think you had a great opportunity to experience many religious views. It has given you a better grasp on what you were seeking to find. Your comment is like learning in a classroom to learning through life experience.  I love to draw and I could read every book on it, learn all the history and never draw. Or I can pick up that piece of charcoal and create something.  From what you wrote it seems as though your mind is wide open and you're willing transform if need be.  I think your Forum comment would be a great start a great hub.

working