I want to be many things and anything but myself

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (11 posts)
  1. mischeviousme profile image62
    mischeviousmeposted 12 years ago

My family was a strange mix of religions. My mother was a sufi and my father a buddhist. My great grandmother was a lutheren and her husband a catholic. As I was exposed to so many views as a child, I tried them for myself. I found that to be anything or to be involved in what the crowd wants, only drove me further from myself. I needed something and I couldn't quite figure it out. I found that in needing something, I had been under the sway of desire. Desire to fit in, desire to be part of something and the desire to be anything and anywhere but with myself.

It was when I discovered that it doesn't matter that I was truly free. Free from religion and free from myself. I let my mind be free and it wandered into knowing. The knowing of myself was far more important than knowing and spouting scripture. Those that live by doctrine will never be truly free. I had to learn that the hard way and it took most of my life to figure it out. I have no plans to start over, but I do not mind changing.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What we all need to find the inner truth is liberation from dogma. Know yourself and you know God. God is capable of everything that we are capable of: Hate, jealousy, love, greed. If this were not so, then how could these things be in a creature which is made in the image.

mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is a simple point, the problem is, we are used to it being complicated. There has to be a catch or it has to be deeper than that. This is the attitude of those that seek truth through religion. There has to be some ritual or some form of incantation. This the attitude that has made true enlightenment so hard to achieve.

2. Kyle Payne profile image61
        Kyle Payneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When the bible speaks of God and man of the same image, it is appealing to the fact of substance trinitarianism.

maybe the image goes both ways. The ancient Hindus believed that the dream went both ways, so that the universe was a unified idea between the thinker and the thinkers.

This is to say that Brahma dreamt the dreamer and likewise.

1. Kyle Payne profile image61
              Kyle Payneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sir I was referring only to the Bible, that is why I said "When the Bible speaks..."  I was not in any way referring to the ancient Hindus belief system.

I was merely pointing out a correlation and how it pertains to how I see it. I do not think that the bible has the last word nor do I think that of Hindu scripture. I say things that work outside of what you know, so that you will question it. Questions lead to answers and answers to knowledge.

2. lalhtt profile image60
      lalhttposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Buddhism: A Scientific Experimental Path ( All the time we humans have been trying to eliminate or rather suppress the sufferings by engaging ourselves in some or the other pleasure seeking ventures and finally landing in greater problems. )   www.lankalibrary.com

I see what you mean, though I am not a buddhist. I can see how "serenity now, insanity later" can be lichened to such a statement. But I am not religious in any sense of the word. I am simply a man and as a man, I have figured out things the hard way and it took alot of work, though in the end, it was simpler than I once believed.

3. Cara.R profile image66
      Cara.Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Misheviousme,

I think you had a great opportunity to experience many religious views. It has given you a better grasp on what you were seeking to find. Your comment is like learning in a classroom to learning through life experience.  I love to draw and I could read every book on it, learn all the history and never draw. Or I can pick up that piece of charcoal and create something.  From what you wrote it seems as though your mind is wide open and you're willing transform if need be.  I think your Forum comment would be a great start a great hub.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)