jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

John the Baptist- Greatest in human beings: Jesus

1. profile image70
    paarsurreyposted 5 years ago

Among humans 'no one has arisen greater' than John
    Matthew 11:11

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago in reply to this

John was, yes, a great prophet and the forerunner of Jesus the Christ.  And the inspiration for the Baptist denomination from what I gather.  Amen to the Biblical account of his life and martyrdom and Faith.  It would behoove any Christian to take his bold honest actions to heart.  I probably cannot say enough good things about John the Baptist. smile

1. profile image70
        paarsurreyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Jesus said those words when Jesus himself was born from Mary; that makes John the Baptist a greater person than Jesus or Jonah.

1. profile image0

Well, let's consider that from John's own concept---

In Mark 1: 7, 
          Luke 3: 16,
          and John 1: 27,
          it's recorded that John the Baptist said he wasn't even worthy to unlace Jesus's shoes and that Jesus was mightier than himself. 
          So there's really no contest when it comes to comparing Jesus to any man.

2. lone77star profile image90
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

John the Baptist was Elijah reborn. Jesus said it himself. Elijah had returned (reincarnated).

But though Jesus lauded John as the greatest of those born to women, Jesus showed his disappointment at John's hesitation. John had faltered in preparing the way. He had become a stumbling block to Jesus's mission. And the Nazarene was not too subtle in mentioning this.

John had sent one of his own disciples to inquire of Jesus if he was the Messiah. John's disciples had questioned the veracity of Jesus. People were comparing Jesus unfavorably relative to John and his disciples. And that confusion could've been avoided if John had regained some of the faith he'd had as Elijah.

Though John was the greatest mortal, he was not yet ready for heaven, according to Jesus. I hope that has changed by now.

1. profile image0

Please explain what you mean about John faltering and Jesus being disappointed in him.  I see no Scripture that indicates that.

3. profile image70
    paarsurreyposted 5 years ago

Jesus himself admitted superiority of John the Baptist.

4. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 5 years ago

This is the problem with taking the Bible literally.

It is so consistantly contradictory throughout the entire book, that you guys are always squabbling over the details.

1. profile image0

I still have no problem taking the Bible as the word of God.   And discussion doesn't always equal "squabbling".

2. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You might be happier if you weren't so bitter all the time. I suggest some contemplative prayer.

5. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago

Possible pattern detected.

1. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What does that mean?

working