jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (58 posts)

Let's say | philosophy and religion are humbug!

1. GoldenBird profile image60
    GoldenBirdposted 5 years ago

Let's say the thing in face- Religion is a chicanery, and Philosophy a trickery. These are words fabricated to deceive men and to trap them inside an unreal flux of cognition. What we can not sense, does not exist therefore. All your spiritualism is the product of a bum!

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

The only problem I see there is that you state 'what you cannot sense does not exist.' That's probably true, but we do sense the spiritual. The rest? It's not difficult to see why one might come to that conclusion when viewing other people's musings on the topics.

GoldenBirdposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well said Emile.

1. mischeviousme profile image61
        mischeviousmeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I had an epiphany last night. We are a moment, between past and future and we seem to worry about past and future more than the moment. That's what makes now so beautiful, the fact that we are the moment. We can call it God or any number of things. What is truly important, is that we are here. smile

Can we call that Nowism? Or present-ism? smile

Nope. Just now and it is here, always.

"Time present and time past
              Are both perhaps present in time future,
              And time future contained in time past-
              If all time is eternally present."

~T.S. Eliot

Any thoughts? cool

It sounds like a form of truth, even if it is in concept.

I guess now is what is important. smile

It's all we really have. Now...

3. profile image68
    paarsurreyposted 5 years ago

From religion came philosphy, from philosophy came Mathematics; from Mathematics came science.

I don't think any of them is fake; one has to look for the truthful one.

It's all truth, because it has happened. The only solid truth, is now.

1. profile image68
        paarsurreyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That will change in future to another dimension.

But the future does not exist yet, there is only now.

2. GoldenBird profile image60

HP will be a bore without paarsurrey.

1. profile image68
        paarsurreyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank for your comments.

4. phillippeengel profile image64
    phillippeengelposted 5 years ago

You might be very frustrated with the many doctrines and dogma of both philosophy and religion. I understand that. As long as you stay well in the present moment, everything will be fine.

Just like the atom is now, so are we. The past is Gone and so is the former self of moments past. Clinging to that past is a form of suffering, for it only clouds the present.

1. phillippeengel profile image64
        phillippeengelposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, that's right. It's an honest and true opinion from the Zen perspective.

Practicing Zen does not entail giving up what one believes, just living in the now and letting belief come secondary to it.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

IMO, the past, present and future are all here now. The images we retain form either place is what defines us in terms of how we "are". The concept of timekeeping is a way for some societies to maintain a type of order and has nothing to do with past, present or future. Clinging is a form of suffering but remembering is also part of past, present and future and is most helpful in guidance.

Remeberance is not neccesarily clinging, trying to relive moments is. Trying to forget the past is to cling to the idea that it can be changed, but we cannot change the past. Which is why it is so hard for many to live in the moment.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60

Yes. I also believe we can change our perception of the past in this moment and again in the next which brings us back to the fluidity of moments. That's not to say we are deceiving ourselves in any way, but we are perceiving ourselves in a different way.

Time will constantly change moment to moment, we just have to adjust the change to suit the need. I'm not talking about surface needs or spiritual needs, I'm talking about the needs of survival, in the moment. Of course if we paid attention to the aspect of time, all of the time, we'd go straight through the roof insane.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60

smile big_smile wink lol cool

lol

5. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 5 years ago

For a long time, I believed the only question to ask of religion was - is it true?  If it is not true, then I could see no value in it.  Added to this, the harm religion has done gave it nothing in its favour, in my opinion.  However, as I have seen ill and dying people who find great comfort from their beliefs, I think it would be the height of arrogance, if I were to try and persuade them out of them.  Not only that, but it would be cruel.  The desire of the scientifically minded for absolute objective truth, does not take into account the human need, that religion answers.  So perhaps the question of whether a belief is backed up by scientists or historians should not be the only one when evaluating religion.  And as long as the harmful and dangerous side of religion can be kept under contol, perhaps us atheists and agnostics should leave well alone.

Exactly, the only difference between any of us, is opinion and self assuredness.

6. CMCastro profile image87
    CMCastroposted 5 years ago

As we exist on this planet earth, we all need something to believe in. Because the first man, Adam, (as described in the book of Genesis 2nd chapter decided to create his own will in disobeying his Creator), everyone has free will. Those who express their thoughts freely Create their own Philosophy. And it is up to those who listen to any man's thoughts to believe it or not. Religion is a repeated behavior. A person who does something on a routine that defines their beliefs is putting their actions into a religious behavior. A religious behavior associated with a believed philosophy defines a person.
    So to say that philosophy and religion are humbug is generalizing- because even the person who originally thought of that statement has their own set of beliefs and puts into practice a routine of behaviors that defines what they believe.
    This concludes my comment on this subject. I think that applying the statement of this forum can make a person too judgemental on what others believe. Doing so can create a resistance to respect each ones' beliefs as each one's individuality. Only we should let the Creator of all Life be the final judge.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Why do we all need something to believe? Where would you get that notion?

7. BNash profile image59
    BNashposted 5 years ago

We experience life differently, not just different experiences but different ways we are affected by those experiences and the different thoughts, understandings and beliefs we accumulate from them, our lives are imprinted by the way we act and react and we have each been given our own sense of right and wrong and free will. Humans are very chaotic, actions and personalities on all ends of the spectrum.

working