Selling the idea

1. mischeviousme profile image61
    mischeviousmeposted 4 years ago

My girlfriend and I went to a temple today and I noticed that they were selling indulgences. They tell these people to donate a small amount of money and they burn their ticket to hell and they call it the heavenly doccument. The thing is, is that they realy only do it just before a seminar. The most mundane aspect is that it's the way. The worst part, their selling it to people that don't realize what's actualy going on. They do the whole ritual in ancient mandarin and never translate what there saying into English. I think they do the whole ritual in order to make it look exotic and that it's simply that easy to hand out enlightenment.

They use lot's of words and examples to sell the idea and usually the same "eye witness accounts" and say that the experience is like no other, pretty much selling the idea like any other religion. I told them straight up, that the idea of enlightenment can't be explained and it definitely cannot be sold. The cool thing though, is that they don't judge people for what they believe and adopted my philosophy as one of the many truths of the solitary path. Though another downside, was that they said it was the oldest religion, again solidifying my idea that it's just another money maker for someone trying to get ahead. Just like all the other guys, selling the seminar and not realy passing on any real teaching from the distant past.

1. gregas profile image73
      gregasposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This is a perfect example of my hub "Followers Instead of Leaders". People just follow and believe what they are told without thinking for themselves. I take it that you didn't fall for it. It was good that you brought this up and pointed it out. Greg

1. mischeviousme profile image61
        mischeviousmeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

As a philosopher and self critic, I have to be aware of the hidden agenda. I see that if I put some obscure history behind it, many people will say "Hmm, that must be true because it's so old". People want to part of something exotic and they forget totally, to be critical and research the possibillity that it could just be a money maker.