jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)

Reading the Bible literally is ridiculous

1. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 5 years ago

If you think the Bible is literal fact, then you probably haven't even actually read it. I mean really, you would have to then believe in seven-headed dragons, bringing carcasses back from the dead,and a lot of other nonsense.

I believe the bible contains some wisdom, but it is all parables and allegories.

1. mischeviousme profile image60
      mischeviousmeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No wonder we are so unevolved as a species. We keep letting people control our lives and alienate us when we don't join the Crowd. Religion can be a real distraction from what is actualy happening with the universe. It has kept us from true enlightenment for too long. I think it's time to give up letting people guide our paths. I found my awakening and discovered my enlightenment by seeing everything as it is and I didn't use religion. I found my true self in everything and everything is me. This is true for all of us, we just use our brains to much to grasp reality. We live in an illusion created by the brain and religion is creating an attachment to a delusion, that makes the illusion all the more real. Religion has diseased the mind of men and blocked our individual paths to true enlightenment.

1. OutWest profile image60
        OutWestposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I tend to agree with you that true enlightenment comes from using our brains and finding our own truth about the universe and its creation.  Religion does not need to be involved.  The bible is symbolic for so many people but often they are not talking and the one who take it literally do all the talking.  Often those people are trying to prove God exists by trying to prove something in the bible is real, like Noah's arc.  However there plenty of people who believes there is a God irrespective of the bible or religion.

The best way to find God for me is by not letting my brain dictate how I see things. I see life for what it truly is, my brain is not in charge. I find when I use my brain for these types of things, it only adds to the labor of it and the feeling slips away. To retain my enlightenment, I cease thinking all together and just look and listen.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
            A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That about sums up most if not all religious belief.

I'm not religious and I have no belief. I just choose to see things as they are and my brain isn't helping. I saw that I was not being my self, I was doing what everybody else wanted me to do; Buy things, do this, join this crowd, act this way, etc., etc., etc. I wish only to be my self, not belong to anyone else but me. I have truly become my own person.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
                A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

lol I hope you're not just trying to convince yourself of that.

I'm not. I hold nothing to be true but what is. Even then I'm not sure what I'm seeing is as real as my brain tells me it is, for all I know people put it there specifically to draw in my attention. I do not thrive on man's attempt to draw in followers. I lead my own path and God has nothing to do with it.

1. profile image60
                    Prascinaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Having the thought of no belief ..isn't that a belief? a belief of being only oneself..not belonging to anyone else but you. It's very good stop..but why limit it on the limitations of belief?

2. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I'll agree with your title. lol

1. profile image0
      jomineposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If the word 'literally' is removed, I too agree with the title.

3. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 5 years ago

Matthew 13:34 All these things spoke Jesus to the multitude in parables, and he did not speak to them without a parable

4. Lady_E profile image82
    Lady_Eposted 5 years ago

Jane

If you find the Bible ridiculous, then don't read it.... and if you do, I suggest you read a few of the books. There is no need for just picking up verses here and there for stirring....

I notice you wrote: "I believe the bible contains some wisdom..."
    Really?!!

1. OutWest profile image60
      OutWestposted 5 years ago in reply to this

So many times the verses are taken completely out of context.

2. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Lady E

What the frak are you talking about? I said a LITERAL reading of the bible is ridiculous. It should be read as metaphors or parables. Pay attention next time lady.

working