jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

Why do people of non-belief and people of different beliefs...

1. LawrenceS profile image74
    LawrenceSposted 4 years ago

Some religious forums have good philosophical debates, then others... while make for a good reading... are not all that philosophical, nor technical. I'm not trying to start an argument, but I would like a deeper understanding for the reasons behind saying or telling someone that what they believe is wrong or fiction? I hope you can understand what I am saying!

1. autumn18 profile image69
      autumn18posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think it just comes down to opinions and preferences. We all have opinions on all sorts of things and sometimes people agree and sometimes they don't. I'm not sure it's much deeper than that.

LawrenceSposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I can understand your point, but sometimes I just read some of these religious forums and these people say harsh things to each other no matter if they are religious or not. Maybe your right, and I'm just over thinking it, like I always do.

2. timmathisen profile image90
      timmathisenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You're asking about the psychology behind why someone who believes in, for example, atheism and constantly argues with someone who's religious that God is fiction, right?

For the record: I'm not a shrink. But here are my thoughts on the issue if I got at the heart of your question.

I think it has something to do with connecting to other people. We want to convince and convert another person to our perspective. When we have followers who think like us, it means that we are not alone -- whether in the physical world -- if you're an atheist -- or spiritual world -- if you're religious.

That said, a true philosophical debate focuses on achieving the correct answer through discussion. With religion, there's no correct answer; the answer -- belief system -- is subjective to the individual.

LawrenceSposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That's exactly what I am talking about, but I wonder why instead of discussing one's own belief, they discuss how another's belief is wrong.

You're right philosophical debates primary goal is to get to a correct answer.  Since your discussing religion, why not discuss to see if there lies any common ground between the two and maybe they will learn that they are not all that far apart in ideologies.