jump to last post 1-16 of 16 discussions (81 posts)

Are Atheists Evil?

1. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

I am appalled to find out that a respected atheist on the Hub Pages forums would consider killing penguins in order to advance his theories. Which got me to wondering.

Question for atheists:
    How far is an atheist willing to go to generate examples to prove their theories right?

Question for believers:
    How much carnage will we, as a society, accept under the premise of  allowing atheists the freedom to advance their theories in proving religion to be false?

1. gregas profile image75
      gregasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You know, actually, you could ask that same question of believers/religious people too. It goes both ways.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 5 years ago in reply to this

True. But I haven't read any believer posts where innocent animals were endangered by experiments to prove their god exists. If they do, then I would certainly love to hear how they justify such behavior.

Thanks for opening the thread up to a broader discussion. smile

Animals have been sacruficed to "Gods" all through history. Just like people have been. That can't be justified in my book. Greg

1. profile image0

I agree. After reading what atheists are willing to do to penguins I did some serious soul searching. As an agnostic, to hedge my bets, I had been in possession of an altar to the god that may or may not exist. The goats prepared for sacrifice have been converted to pets and the altar is now an end table. Although it throws the whole feel of the living room out of kilter, I believe I've done it for a good cause.

2. profile image0
      Cranfordjsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Stupid penguins!

3. LewSethics profile image60
      LewSethicsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Everybody is evil, just most people won't admit it.  Why would anyone pretend to be (or want to be) goody goody every moment of their lives?
      Lust desire and hate are valid emotions, and people that act like they don't feel these things can add lying to their list of evils.

4. IntimatEvolution profile image80
      IntimatEvolutionposted 5 years ago in reply to this

How about you cast your line of thinking, which by the way is judgemental, on just the individual making the remark, instead of lumping in a great many good people into some theorhetical nonsense.  That's known as stereotyping...  Emillie are we to assume you are a bad person by this line a thinking? Certainly not....  So why would you assume all Atheists would want to kill something or go to an extreme to prove a point?

My opinion your type of thinking preaches intolerence and is dangerous....

1. profile image0

I know you. You're one of the hubbers with no sense of humor. If you had read down into the thread you would have realized this was a joke. You can go on about your business of quickly and inappropriately condemning others. Your work here is done. smile

1. IntimatEvolution profile image80

The topic you set forth is no joking matter....  Typical Emillie of you.  To coward down to saying it is all now just a big joke.   My work here is done?  Please.  What a jokster!
          By the way, the only joke around here is your rhetoric and thought processes in trying to make this subject funny.  That is something I am sure,  many will agree with.

Hahaha... 
          In case you can't hear me laughing at your supposed comedy.  Oh you are so funny.  Hardy har har.

1. profile image0

Ok ok. I've already agreed that you have no sense of humor. You don't have to attempt to participate in something you don't understand. And I did imply you were not the only one when I stated ' one of the hubbers'. You shouldn't be offended. The joke isn't on you. It's just a joke. Humor is not the rocket science you might imagine it to be. smile

Apparently its only a joke when its convinent. Which only becomes necessary when you have nothing reasonable to say.... This is me laughing at you.    Lol

1. profile image0

Let's say that maybe you do have a sense of humor. I just don't get it. Like you apparently don't get mine. smile

5. lizzieBoo profile image78
      lizzieBooposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes they are. smile

2. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 5 years ago

What Completely Pathetic BS! roll  sad

With threads like this... How sad that someone would take the time to offer the world such trash! sad

1. profile image0

So, you basically have no answer to the questions, but felt compelled to post anyway. This leaves me to wonder.

Are you attempting to divert attention from the problem or are you hiding something?

Where is the jokes?  Thought you said this was all a joke, so where is the punch line? 

Oh the web a spider makes when it tries to cover its arse in lies....

1. profile image0

lol lol lol

I've missed you. This burning need you display to search for a reason to sit on a high is hilarious. If you honestly believe anyone is fool enough to think people kill penguins in the name of atheism.....I'd agree there is a fool, just not the one you imagine. smile

3. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 5 years ago

I think that example was a bit of a metaphorical example, that the poster has no intention of actually going out and gathering a bunch of penguins to shove off a cliff to see if they will fly. Although it must be mentioned that lemmings were forced to do exactly that for a Disney video to prove that lemmings commit suicide (ergo, Disney is evil LOL). They don't. Their dramatic drop in numbers happens due to breeding rates and food availability, its all mathematical and stuff. They used it in the Royal Institute Christmas Lectures a few years ago on code breaking, chaos theory and other cool math stuff smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemming

"A Canadian Broadcasting Corporation documentary, Cruel Camera, found that the lemmings used for White Wilderness were flown from Hudson Bay to Calgary, Alberta, Canada, where they did not jump off the cliff, but were in fact launched off the cliff using a turntable."

1. profile image0

This thread was a joke. I thought his example was  great, but hilarious. It got me to thinking of all  of the examples I've run across while reading the atheist/believer debates on the forums.

1. EmpressFelicity profile image83
        EmpressFelicityposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Phew! lol

1. profile image0

Most of the threads on this forum are a joke. I've ceased taking them seriously.

4. EmpressFelicity profile image83
    EmpressFelicityposted 5 years ago

How many trolling religion threads is it possible to generate on one forum?

Actually, your question

"How far is an atheist willing to go to generate examples to prove their theories right?"

has a perfectly legitimate answer that involves no injury to penguins, lemmings or any other members of the animal kingdom:

"An atheist doesn't have to go anywhere. It's up to the believers to prove the existence of a god - let them do the hard work if they're so bent on converting everyone".

5. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 5 years ago

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/post/91562

As an atheist popping in from time to time, it bewilders me that people have time to spend on arguments like this. In my day, it was an adolescent thing. One was supposed to have made up one's mind by the time one was 18 or 19,and after that, one got on with one's life.

As an atheist, I don't have to prove that there is or isn't a God. It's like being asked to prove if there is a mangel or there isn't a mangel. I don't know. I don't care. I don't have the time to invest in it. It's not relevant to my life.

If, of course, a mangel suddenly presented itself and said, "Hey, you!" I might reconsider my lack of belief in mangels, but then, that's me.

What you see is what you get. smile

1. profile image0

Lighten up. You guys really have a difficult time seeing the absurdity. I hate to say it, reading through the atheist responses; it comes of as a chip on your shoulders.

Try agnosticism. We have more fun. smile

1. kirstenblog profile image79
        kirstenblogposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, if there is a God, she probably has a good sense of humour wink

1. profile image0

One would hope. smile

Just look at how she made us! We have to be one big joke! We are way to weird for anything else to make sense lol

Just take how we mate, we make weird faces and sounds, never good ones either!

1. profile image0

You really think that? Is that the general consensus? Now I'm going to be self conscious in bed.

Oh yeah, it's generally why mirrors over the bed is a really bad idea! lol
                Thankfully I don't tend to actually see my partners 'O' face and he doesn't seem to really notice mine (but if I will ask... lol)

2. profile image67
              paarsurreyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Is it too compulsory to mate, then?

1. Greek One profile image80
                Greek Oneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hell ya!

2. profile image0
        Sophia Angeliqueposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Emile R. I'm bewildered by your response.

1. profile image0

I'll try to explain. And before I do, I will say that my reply to you was a product of the collective atheist responses that had been posted up to that point.

Although I do realize that not everyone would have necessarily seen the comment that precipitated my posting of this thread....who could honestly think a rational person would believe anyone else would sacrifice large numbers of penguins in order to advance their theories on the possibility of the existence of God?

Do atheists consider themselves the only rational people in the world? Do atheists assume others would willingly believe anything, no matter how ludicrous, that shed a negative light on them?

Your statement that you were bewildered implied that you took the OP seriously. Which apparently so did every other atheist poster. I find myself bemused, yet smiling, in response.

6. gregas profile image75
    gregasposted 5 years ago

This just proves my point that I have brought up in hubs and hub comments that religion and religious belief differences are the causes of so many wars. A simple question like this leads to discussions that lead to arguments that lead to wars. Why can't people believe what they want and live their lives the way they choose without someone else preaching that their way is better. My opinion, Greg

1. profile image0

And it's a very nice opinion. The question still remains. Why would an atheist consider killing innocent penguins? Is disproving a god really that important?

I doubt that disproving God is all that important, but the side effects that strong beliefs in such divine entities can produce can really seem that important. I totally feel for the passionate atheist and feel for the sense of frustration at beliefs dictating destructive actions. Sadly, its not just religion that can make an otherwise good person do bad things. It's not the religion itself, but the authority the religion gives and even commands over its subjects that leads to problems. I am reminded of an experiment where the subject is told to inflict pain for wrong answers to another subject (an actor). Each shock gets worse until finally we are talking lethal shocks, the vast majority of people will 'kill' the subject. It is actually very very rare for someone to do more then just question the authority telling them what to do. A person willing to tell the researcher where to shove his electric shocks before storming off is a very rare person indeed. I wonder, if in that sort of situation, would I feel the pressure of the authority figure, or the pressure of my own integrity? I hope my integrity! smile

1. profile image0

So, correct me if I'm wrong; it is your contention that the penguins can be sacrificed for the greater good?

I'm playing catch up here. I had no idea people would take this thread seriously. I'm still reeling from the shock.

Well, if you check out my link on the other post, you will see penguins flying, so they are conspiring for some reason! lol (actually, its an old april fools day joke they did a few years ago on breakfast news when I was too tired to get the joke, I was totally amazed at flying penguins and believed it!). I think, if we are to uncover the secret penguin conspiracy, there is no other option really. I know of a nice cliff wink

lollollollol

2. profile image0
          Sophia Angeliqueposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Kirstenblog. You are talking abut Stanley Milgrim's experiment at the end of WWII (in the 50s actually). He wanted to know how the Germans, an educated, refined people, could have permitted Hitler to do what he did. Thus the experiments.

96 percent of the testers carried on until the guy in the electric chair (an actor) was killed. Only 4% said to stop.

The reason is that people will obey the strongest voice, the loudest call, the most popular creed, etc. because they are scared of standing against something on their own.

I can tell you, from a load of experience, that there's solid sense in that stance. Whenever I stand against the crowd, I get my head bitten off!!! smile

Here is another hub that I wrote that mentions that very subject. Why are people so weak that they have to be followers and can't stand on their own two feet. One reason is that most "believers" have been called "lambs" for so long that they actually believe that. Sheep are one of the dumbest animals in the world and they want us lambs to follow the word. Sorry, I am NOT a follower of anyone but ME. There's my opinion again, Greg, (Note: sorry if I offended any sheep lovers, Turkeys are actually dumber than sheep, if that makes you feel any better.)

2. kirstenblog profile image79

That's the one! They have re-created it a few times and I saw one of the re-creations. Most recently I saw a Darren Brown version of this idea. He was 'hosting' a new reality TV show. The audience gets to choose between nice events happening and nasty events happening to an 'unsuspecting' game contestant. The audience gets to view the guy in a pub out for the night with friends. Each time the audience gets an option to either say, have a pretty woman come up and hit on him, or have that same pretty woman come up and accuse him of grabbing her a**. Guess which they choose? He almost got slapped. On it goes, he gets arrested, dumped etc. Until finally he is approached by a gang (the audiences choice) for a mugging and he runs, right into a speeding car. It was really hard to watch. I kept thinking, they will do at least one nice thing for the guy, but no. I didn't feel all that bad when the audience realised they might have killed the guy. (and of course us viewers at home got told it was all a stunt, no one was really hurt and it had been pre-filmed).

I think this is the nature of the problem with religion, or politics, or business. When we trust that authority voice that tells us to do something. The fact that a few will stand up for their beliefs says its not all peer pressure of fear of being rejected from our social groups but the idea that authority must be followed. Be he a pope, politician, businessman or what have you big_smile

2. A Troubled Man profile image60
        A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I can see how horrific that is compared to murdering millions of people in order to prove god. I'm certainly on board with you there, Emile. lol

1. profile image0

These penguins were apparently killed recently, in broad daylight, in a country at peace. Your flippant disregard for the humane treatment of our feathered friends has been duly noted. Don't make me delve into the question of what's on the menu at the average atheist breakfast buffet.

1. A Troubled Man profile image60

Penguin Surprise, Penguin Salad, Penguin Dumplings and Penguin Eggs, of course. lol

1. mischeviousme profile image61
              mischeviousmeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You forgot tuna safe dolphin. lol

2. profile image67

Well the Atheists are not more peaceful than the Theists.

7. GoldenBird profile image59
    GoldenBirdposted 5 years ago

If G_d did not exist, it would be absolutely essential to discover him.

-I can rest on Darwin's shoulder like a monkey, but I may cut your throat and plunder your house. Humanity must follow some unwritten principles, of charity, love, brotherhood, compassion, and finally, truth. Those who do not, or did not, suffered. Let an atheist explain that.

You don't have to believe in God to be a loving, humane soul. Look in past history at how many people were killed in the name of "Gods". Notice I made that plural. Greg

1. GoldenBird profile image59
        GoldenBirdposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I did not indicate to plural "Gods".

Sorry, I emohasized the plural because not everybody believes in the same God'. I just wanted to cover all of them. Greg

It's not plural. I call, in Bengali, the rose as 'Golap'. Perhaps, you never heard that word.

No, I am not familiar with that word, Maybe that is your God, or whatever it is, but in my statement I was refering to everyone and their Gods. Greg

A rose is always a rose. Changing the word doesn't matter much.

A rose by any other name......
                  You are aware that there are many different breeds of rose right? They are not all the same just cause they have the same name. I worked in a flower shop one christmas and had to de-thorn roses. Some were easy, but one breed cut my hands to shreds!

Anyway, roses aren't Gods and aren't being worshiped. The flying spaghetti monster is not the same as Allah. Nor are any of the other single gods of the many many religions out there. A christian is NOT worshiping Allah. They don't see their God as the same being as a Muslim sees their god as. Allah didn't send his only begotten son to die for our sins, the christian God gets that accolade. The christian God did NOT send a prophet by the name of Muhammad, unless we are talking about a god with serious psychological problems? Maybe God has multiple personalities? What traumatic experience would cause a God to split into several separate and individual personalities? I know for humans its usually something pretty darned bad hmm

8. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 5 years ago

Of course they are.

And all Christians picket military funerals and shoot abortion doctors. 

I thought these facts were already well established.

wink

1. profile image0

Well, these are facts I was not in possession of. Thank you for shedding valuable light. This is now a growing dilemma.

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My pleasure.

It helps to be in possession of all the pertinent info before jumping into the debate.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
          MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

lol lol

9. SallyintheValley profile image59
    SallyintheValleyposted 5 years ago

WOW, am I evil?  Just because I demand answers, logic, and things to make sense?  Never realized that because I am an intelligent human who seeks information based on scientific fact and not just the written word in a book, that I could be deemed a bad person.
    I have been discussing things in a quiet, intelligent and meaningful way with other Atheists on a different site, and then I see this title.  I am new here because I love to write, but that is not a very warm welcome.

1. profile image0

Do you kill penguins? If not, you've taken something personally that wasn't a question concerning you. smile

I do, at least three or four before breakfast. Then, I eat their eggs. smile

1. profile image0

This is all very sad. First the penguins, probably the polar bears next and then the narwhal. I do always try to see the good in others. Is this your idea of alleviating the suffering of species that are losing habitat due to global warming....or are you just pure evil?

Absolutely. Haven't you figured that out by now? smile

1. profile image0

You could have lied to me. But, you didn't. So, you can't be pure evil.

Darn! Foiled again! smile

10. MelissaBarrett profile image60
    MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago

As a Unitarian (the christian/atheist hybrid apparently) I do not kill penguins... but I do have one I kick each morning.  I've named it after my ex.  Not sure what kicking it proves, but I felt an obligation to buy one when the atheist memo came.

1. profile image0

As long as the little sucker stays alive, I will always argue that you should  be free to do what you want with it in the name of non religion.

11. Greek One profile image80
    Greek Oneposted 5 years ago

Atheists are beyond evil

Or I as I refer to them "Bey-evil"

12. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 5 years ago

Atheists aren't evil...just like many religionists, they sometimes think they have all the true answers. Evil existed in you or you would have no need of a messiah.

13. Pcunix profile image88
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

My God! (atheist joke there, by the way)

People actually took you seriously?  I'm late to this thread as you  see..

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't...just bored to tears.

2. profile image0

Yes they did. I was shocked. It makes you wonder if anyone stops to think anymore?

1. Pcunix profile image88
        Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Maybe we are just so used to really incredible attacks?

You know, raw wounds?

Case in point:  http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/91562?p … ost1955388

1. profile image0

I can't seem to open the link so I'm shooting in the dark here....but I'll be brutally honest. Anyone who is offended by a ridiculous thread about atheists pushing penguins over a cliff might get some professional help. Imaginary penguins aren't salt on open wounds.

I like you guys, when you aren't taking life so seriously.

1. Jonathan Janco profile image80
            Jonathan Jancoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Penguins falling off of a cliff is sad, Emile. Penguins can't fly.

As for answering your question about whether or not atheists are evil the answer is yes they are. They are agents of the dark intruders who are trying to get us sucked up into the phantom matrix and be separated from our creator forever...I think that's pretty derned evil.

2. Pcunix profile image88
            Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I cannot help but agree smile

14. profile image67
    paarsurreyposted 5 years ago

Are Atheists Evil?

Not all of the Atheists are evil; devil works the same way to the most extent with Theists as well as Atheists; if the Creator God does not help one cannot be innocent.

15. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 5 years ago

Only if it's casual sex. We can't have concepts like multiplication 'cause thats in the bible.

1. profile image67

Now you are talking about Mathematics; no harm though

16. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 5 years ago

No one would think it was evil for Batman to throw the Penguin off the cliff.

Hypocrites.

working