jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

The Jesus fish is generally a con

1. mischeviousme profile image61
    mischeviousmeposted 4 years ago

Some the biggest hypocrites I've ever met. They claim to be devout, but their the first people to flick a bird in traffic. Not only that, but these days claiming christianity is more of a status symbol, used to fit in with the voting public. Christianity has become nothing more than the sin of vanity and pride.

1. jonnycomelately profile image88
      jonnycomelatelyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

"Christianity" viz. American Politics?

2. Apostle Jack profile image61
      Apostle Jackposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree that most people have taken Christianity out of context,either by not knowing what Christianity is,or by misinterpretation of the scriptures. The Cross is also a pagan symbol and fit the mold of IDOL'S and do not represent the Christian faith,which is a SPIRITUAL CONCEPT and have nothing to do with pagan symbols.

2. 0
    Emile Rposted 4 years ago

Yeh. The whole 'judge not' philosophy appears to be a difficult thing in our society. But, I think it goes beyond the Christian community. I've noticed that even people who claim to be buddhists have begun to actively attempt to set themselves above others and claim spiritual superiority.

I think, it's simply the product of a culture that values ego over humility; a generation that was raised to be self centered; a world that has lost its desire to  find a way to care for the good of all man. A culture that uses the idea of religion and philosophy  to push personal agendas and ignore spiritual musings. I think the problem is more wide spread, and closer to home, than the OP has implied.

That is just an opinion, mind you.

3. jonnycomelately profile image88
    jonnycomelatelyposted 4 years ago

It seems to me that over the past 20 years or so (maybe more), we have heard recommendations like:  "You can be anything you want to be."  "You have your rights to be yourself."  "Get your self right first, then you can deal with others' problems." 

The opposite stance is to be other-conscious, and to negate one's self.  I was taught that this was the christian's duty. 

Maybe it's like a pendulum.  We swing from one to the other, according to perceived public expectations, and what's "in" is what we adopt, in the hope of acceptance from our peers, and those that seem to know what's good for us. 

A very selfish way, really.

4. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 4 years ago

Well, as I said to one self professed Christian who insisted that I disliked him because of his religion:

"Start acting like a Christian and I'll like you a lot better."

Of course that was gibberish to him.

5. momster profile image60
    momsterposted 4 years ago

So are you a christian or you just bashing people to have something to do?
    Do you make yourself look better or feel better when you belittle others and
    their opinions?
    Would you really know a christian if you met one?
    What if that person didnt want you to like them?
    There is so many questions that one could ask but it doesnt make you better than them (or any less)?
    We are all entitled to our own opinions but maybe you should consider how you make others feel before you start judging them.

1. jonnycomelately profile image88
      jonnycomelatelyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Momster, I was talking about my background/upbringing which was christian, and I counted myself as christian in those earlier years.  I am not persuaded by the christian arguments anymore, but that does not mean I disown my past.  It's something for me to measure against and learn from.