jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Adam and Eve and Other Cute Biblical Stories

1. Paul Wingert profile image78
    Paul Wingertposted 4 years ago

It's ironic how Christians, most in the United States, take the Bible stories literally. I mean they actually believe that the earth and all living things, includimg a talking snake, were created in 7 days and centered in a plush garden even though the Vatican has opened up to evolution (declaring that it fits in the creation thing) and the Big Bang (a big proponent was Monsignor Georges Henri Joseph Édouard Lemaître, Catholic Priest and professor of physics in the 1920's). Jews, the origional authors of these stories, do not take them literally since Judism isn't into dogma and focuses on behavior rather than faith. But, in a way, these stories, can be read as a basic inderstanding of how the suthors viewed their surroundings 2000-3000 years ago. For instance, in Genesis, "God created man from the dust of the earth..." I personally do not believe that man suddenly appeared out of the blue because a creator said so. I do believe that humans, along with all other living things are made from the dust of the earth meaning that "dust" represents the elements found on earth to create life (i.e. carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, calcium, etc.). The story of Noah and the flood give clues of the thinking of the time. Since that story is based on an earlier Semaritian story (minus an ark or worldwide flood), clues are given that the author(s) believed the earth was flat and points to the ancient Egyption belif that the sky was a canopy and the land was a floating island in an endless sea.

Lets see what you have to say.

1. Apostle Jack profile image60
      Apostle Jackposted 4 years ago in reply to this

To know God is to know more than what is around you and before you.In the world of the supernatural many feats can be perform with due process of human calculations or scientific equations.

2. 59
      jracforrposted 4 years ago in reply to this

There are things we can't know and fully understand about our religion at this stage of our existence but that doesn't mean we have to ridicule it. Cl;early some of the bible stories were simple illustrations of an important event or concept which were adopted to the intelligence of the audience to which it was presented at the time.

2. Randy Godwin profile image94
    Randy Godwinposted 4 years ago

I believe in talking snakes!    smile

1. Castlepaloma profile image26
      Castlepalomaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I got a hand puppet that is a talking snake.

3. rLcasaLme profile image55
    rLcasaLmeposted 4 years ago

You refer to the book of Genesis and talks as if it was the oldest book of the bible.

If we ought to know what people think back then, we should refer to the oldest written book of the Bible - Job.

Job 26:7 He stretches out the north over the void
       and hangs the earth on nothing.

Job knew that the earth hangs into the nothingness. Job has not seen the earth from outer space. This is only possible through God's revelation.

Job 26:10 He has inscribed a circle on the face of the waters
       at the boundary between light and darkness.

Did he believe that the earth is flat? Unfortunately, no.

4. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 4 years ago

Fun site for this kind of stuff is http://www.badnewsaboutchristianity.com/index.htm

1. mischeviousme profile image61
      mischeviousmeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

2. brotheryochanan profile image60
      brotheryochananposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I can shoot down any argument off any of those pages. Its just a lot of bias crap. Typical.

5. MakinBacon profile image83
    MakinBaconposted 4 years ago

You say absolutely nothing about your version of events, because you know there are some of us here that would blow you out of the water.

All you do is imply a few obscure things, and assert a couple of irrelevant citations of the Vatican and one priest. That's the extent of your argument?

You must have taken the usual college propaganda course on the flood story, as that tired, old knowledge proves absolutely nothing.

Why didn't you mention Darwinism, by the way? You know, the discredited theory even atheists will no longer cite because of the nonsense it is, and it indefensibility.

As to creation, the Bible says by faith we understand the world was created by the Christian and only God. Faith has a form of intelligence connected with it, something you apparently lack.

6. MrMaranatha profile image86
    MrMaranathaposted 4 years ago

What does the Vatican have to do with Biblical anything?  They have not followed it since the 3rd century when they went astray... why should anyone listen to them on it or follow their faulty logic.

That whole line of Logic is off  from the beginning.

7. Curtsey Coalla profile image59
    Curtsey Coallaposted 4 years ago

Speaking of specifically Christians in the United States is an extremely limited view of religious perception.  Religion is on the down slope in this country and churches that used to be packed pew to pew are closing their doors.  Meanwhile, people flock from all over the world to the Via Dolorosa in the Old City of Jerusalem to see the walk of Jesus.  Individuals from every corner of the world pilgrimage to the Dead Sea and to Israel to visually experience beliefs that have been held in their hearts from the very beginning or from later on in life.

And beyond that, the Jews wrote the old testament (much of what you are referring), and some of those Jews became Christians.  I would find it hard to believe that merely the Christians believe that the earth was made in seven days- especially seeing as Orthodox and Hasidic Jews recognize the sabbath so strongly that they will not do so much as drive a car.  The reason why?  The Bible says that the seventh day is made solely for rest and for absolutely nothing that consists of work.  I don't know of a single Christian that takes that as literally as a large force in the Jewish community.