jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)

Christopher Hitchens’ book “GOD is NOT GREAT”

1. profile image70
    paarsurreyposted 5 years ago

Is it a root source book of the Atheists? What are its good point or bad points?

1. livelonger profile image89
      livelongerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It provokes thought and debate, which are good things.

2. profile image70
    paarsurreyposted 5 years ago

One of my Atheist friend has suggested me reading it. I have started reading it but I have not yet finished it.

3. A Troubled Man profile image60
    A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago

"Here is the point about myself and my co-thinkers. Our belief is not a belief, our principles are not a faith, we do not rely solely on science and reason, because these are necessary rather than sufficient factors, but we distrust anything that contradicts science or outrages reason. We may differ on many things but what we respect is free inquiry, open-mindedness and the pursuit of ideas for their own sake."

1. profile image70
      paarsurreyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This he mentions in the beginning of the book. What are your personal view of the book; its merit and demerits.

1. A Troubled Man profile image60
        A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It has no demerits.

2. skyfire profile image72
        skyfireposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Here are some of the demerits that you'll find after reading the book:

No support for forced conversion.
        No fear selling tactics for conversion.
        No suggestion of burqa and male dominance for females.
        No killing in the name of Allah - the creator.
        No suicide bombing.
        No sharia law.
        No support for islamic conservative rules.

It is one bad book that tells us about 'reasoning' and 'skepticism'. It is bad for mind with faith in it. It's poison, don't read it. Allah needs to ban this book in every islamic nation.

1. Philanthropy2012 profile image89
          Philanthropy2012posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Pahahaha, we can smell the fear in you, It's a book that promotes reasoning and thinking, and that is the enemy for Islam, naturally.

A tragedy to see words like the ones you spew unto the rest of the world.

1. profile image70

I am not afraid of this book or any other book.

2. profile image0
            Emile Rposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you had taken the time to think about that post, you would have known it was a joke. You do understand what a joke is? You shouldn't condemn before you verify that you know what you are talking about.

4. psycheskinner profile image79
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

It's an interesting book but the vast majority of atheists will not have read it and as an atheist I disagree with 80% of what is in it. 

Being atheist means not having a bible.

1. jponiato profile image82
      jponiatoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Why in the world would owning a bible preclude one from being an atheist?  I own "Dianetics" and yet I am far from a scientologist.

1. psycheskinner profile image79
        psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I mean that atheists *as a group* do not have a holy book for their "religion".

As an educated person living in a J-C culture I have of course read the bible several times, although I don't currently own a copy.

I have also read GING, but do not own a copy and would not recommend it to someone dealing with these issues at a rudimentary level as it is very didactic.

1. jponiato profile image82
          jponiatoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

OK, I mis-read the post.  It makes sense now that you've cleared it up.

2. profile image70

For sure the Atheists have no Bible.

So If I say that you have give a rating of 20% to this book; will you agree with it.

5. mischeviousme profile image59
    mischeviousmeposted 5 years ago

working