The Message Of The Thorns

1. DeaneMc profile image61
    DeaneMcposted 7 years ago

Jesus' gift of forgiveness is costly. It cost him to become bound by time. It cost him to become bound in a human body. However, most remarkable of all, he surrendered his sinless lips to taste the bitter fruit of our sinfulness. Using thorny branches, they made a crown, put it on his head, and put a stick in his right hand. Then the soldiers bowed before Jesus and made fun of him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews"! ( Matthew 27:29 )

Isn't this the message of the crown of thorns? An unnamed soldier took branches-mature enough to bear thorns, nimble enough to bend- and wove them into a crown of mockery, a crown of thorns.

The fruit of the sin is thorns-spiny, prickly, cutting thorns.
    What exactly is the fruit of sin? Step into the briar patch of humanity and feel a few thistles. Shame. Fear. Disgrace. Discouragement.
    Haven't our hearts been caught in these bramble?

The heart of Jesus, however had not. He had never been cut by thorns of sin. what you and I face daily, he never knew. he never worried. Guilt? He was never guilty. Fear? He never left the presence of God! Jesus never knew the fruits of sin until he became sin for us.

And when he did, all the emotions of sin tumbled in on him like shadows in a forest. He felt anxious, guilty, and alone. Can't you hear the emotion in his prayer? My God, My God, why have you forsaken me? (Matthew 27:46)