jump to last post 1-20 of 20 discussions (60 posts)

December 21, 2012 Are you afraid?

1. poeticmentor profile image80
    poeticmentorposted 5 years ago

I hear many people speak about how the human race is nearing end times. How the ancient Mayans believed the earth would be no more.  Many ancient people in history also believed at some point the world would end. But it didn't.  Are you scared about the possibility that on December 21, 2012 we are doomed? Why or why not? Are you planning slightly for the possibility? Tell the truth. wink
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6116999.jpg

1. profile image0
      jomineposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The world will end(read Human species, nothing will happen to earth) if the European leaders failed to reach a consensus and let the European Economy collapse. Otherwise we might have 10 or 20 years for that to happen, the reason being the same.

But why worry, who can stop death? Everybody will die, won't they? May be today or may be after 100 years, who cares?

2. AEvans profile image69
      AEvansposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Nope. I am not afraid at all. If the World did end, (which it will not) then all of us would go together. smile

3. dc11 profile image59
      dc11posted 5 years ago in reply to this

As a future chemist I would consider the possibility of the world ending in the realm outside of religion. Being raised christian I have nothing agains faith. But the ideas, and "prophecies" from the religious side don't provide a real life explination. The world obviously won't just explode.
           There are many ways for both the human race and for the world as a whole to be destroyed. Astroids, disease, nuclear war...
           But many forget that we have made some incredible advances in technology. In reality we are advanced enough as a species to build or think our way out of nearly every possible doomsday situation. So the question shouldn't be is the world going to end? But whether or not we are making the right decisions to secure our future as a species?

poeticmentorposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Excellent point sir. Religion plays no role in the end times. Not sure if we can think our way out the inevitable (if it is so), but we must lose our minds in order to know truth.

4. Titen-Sxull profile image94
      Titen-Sxullposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No, I'm not afraid and I don't believe in the idea that the world is ending in 2012. Given the track record of such pseudoscientific, religious or new age claims I think it's safe to say the world will still be here in 2013 relatively in-tact. I am bothered that the con-artists who set out to make their money scaring people into believing this 2012 crap are getting away Scott free though. If anyone is hurt by the unnecessary distress and panic those charlatans have caused they should be held directly responsible.

2. pedrog profile image61
    pedrogposted 5 years ago
  3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

I suppose, if the Pope dies this year I'll be a little suspicious. That would be two end world prophecies converging.  Has that ever happened before?

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The founder of the Seventh Day Adventists had people up on hilltops waiting for Jesus in the 1830's or 40's. I think the world we know passes with the day. Tomorrow is a new horizon. Although I could lay something ominous on you anyways. In numerology, 12-21-12 is 3-3-3

Who needs a dead Pope?

1. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 5 years ago in reply to this

He's going to die eventually. The prophesy of Malachi says he'll be the last pope. But, two prophecies in one year would have to be a record.

2. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What's the significance of 3 3 3? Half of 6 6 6?

3. poeticmentor profile image80

Who said anything about religion..Jesus, seventh day whatever.. numerology etc etc,,..seems we are trying to rationalize the inevitable. what's your point. Is this day the rapture or is it mankind destroying him/herself?  Why do people believe this is the date?

4. Shanna11 profile image92
    Shanna11posted 5 years ago

Not worried in the slightest. I'm looking forward to the hysteria of others though. I know some terribly gullible people.

1. paradigmsearch profile image85
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

We Are All Doomed! Doomed I Say!!!

2. Druid Dude profile image60

Three is considered among Kabbalists as a holy number. In post hebraic mysticism, three is also considered ominous. Among the Jews, 33 is the age of "Full Knowledge", Jesus was said to have been 33 when he was crucified. and there were three nails. There's a side legend attached to the fourth nail. It was stolen...by a gypsie, and that is why their larcenous nature doesn't count against them in God's court. Multiples of three are also considered ominous, as in 666. Three times 666is 1998. In human physiology the beat of your heart follows a triangular pathway. This is also the same pathways that your thoughts, both conscious ones and all others operations depend on that ominous 3. Doubtful? It's basic brain and heart function. Little electric charges that do everything you need them to do...most without ever having to think about it. !2 divided by 3. Twenty one divided by three. Difference? 3. Everything is ruled by mathematics. Now where have I heard that before...?smile

the  exclamation point is actually a one...or nothing adds up.

2. poeticmentor profile image80

If this is true. It's kinda cool

2. poeticmentor profile image80

LOL.. I agree, I think even the media will take advantage of it and many will profit from it.  It will be like the Super Bowl is coming to your town. (Hoosier by the way) and everybody will be tuned in waiting for the final touch down. With funny commercials in between.  T-shirt sales, I can see it now. smh Profit before you die. omg.

3. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hey, everyone should take this stuff more seriously.

Personally, I've been raptured 3 times, I suffered a severe case of conjunctive rety2klitis, I was interrogated by Elvis on Keltic V, I dreamed I was eating a giant marshmallow last night(has anyone seen my pillow?), and, most importantly:

I once made a prediction that NASA was using an earthquake ray from onboard the space shuttle, at which time I was abducted by said NASA, drugged, and forced to escape strapped to a wheelchair, all the while stalking Julia Roberts...

@ JaxsonRaine, ..and you will be the person running around panicked in a frenzy because you never got right with GOD. whomever that is to you. Sarcasm is a easy way to say 'am scared out of my wits.  I always can tell who is the most afraid by the response. hahaha Not funny. and anyone else poking fun at those who believe SOMETHING IS HAPPENING. THERE IS A NEW AGE ARRIVING FAST. Connect with it or get left behind. Rapture can mean so many things.  It all depends on how you receive your reality from God or otherwise. It's still real.Humans and nature are all experiencing a transformation before your eyes and you take for granted it's gifts and it's resources and abuse them.. and jokes will not change that fact.
          @ Castlepoaloma, YOU STOP IT.

@ GoGreenTips, I think you may be correct, but who knows? Oh I know ask the two comedians I mentioned above, seems they know all answers.

1. profile image0

Haha, don't worry about me poetic. I don't believe that humor and religion are mutually exclusive. I feel completely comfortable in my beliefs.

3. poeticmentor profile image80
      poeticmentorposted 5 years ago

If i am correct, I thought the number Three is "Understanding", you can make the numbers play with your beliefs all you want.  12-21-12 add to 333 which would only mean, if true,  they suggest that maybe the world would have a better 'understanding' of God or the world around them- the whole.  Maybe a mass spiritual awakening of some sort will happen.  It seems this date is triggering a lot of renewed spiritual/conscious awakening in people. it makes them stop in their tracks and realize that it's bigger than the house they own or the car they drive.  I rebuke the evil from the equation. sorry nice try sounds like fear to me or a little uncertainty. humm.

That's how everything happens precisely when they are supposed to happen. Equations aren't evil. That's just plain silly. Mathematics makes everything predictable, from the fall of the first dominoe to the fall of the last dominoe. Right down to the millisecond. Time is a funny thing.

Thanks for that neat bit of info.  I mean we all have our beliefs and thinking mathematically is new to me.  Our human brains are not wired to comprehend what the truth really is. Many people are preparing for the end. Some choose to wait and see if a pope dies..I don't know what it will take for us to say YES, THiS iS IT.  The BIG one! It's here. but it may not be for us for us to even experience physically.  We die daily.

Then how can it possibly set you free? Truth, I mean. With that kind of thinking you are enslaved and will continue in servitude. We do die daily, each one of us judged mainly and most harshly by our selves, that is if we are feeling beings. God says everything is good. That's his first word. God said everything is perfect. Math backs that up. Everything will come to pass...math again. Even infinity is a mathematical concept interchangable with Eternity. Whatever. It has no beginning and no end, so we should just live, let live and leave the judgement up to perfection.

My thinking is not that I don't believe things are mathematical, it's just that, that is not how we humans see or experience life.  i experience life through my emotions and my actions, and i am not thinking about them mathematically. When you want to be free.. I am thinking less and surrendering my doubts.  Which is called faith.  Truth does not have to add up.  Miracles do happen and no one sees the exact equation on how this happens but it does. and when they happen we feel them and experience them, and we never once think, oh it happened on this date so it must mean xyz.  I do live freely, by balancing my emotional being to my logical self.  The perfect way I was created. I was made as an emotional creature who could name things as I please. You are correct when you speak about math, yet how do you even realize this math exist? Can you possibly add that up? To be free, one must know that he will never have the answers because the questions will always remain.  math only tells me how. not why? it is man made and given labels just like everything else in this world.  So you can rationalize it with numbers but i can't fully agree that this is the reason people should believe the end is near or 100 million years away. People imitate. most will only believe it because their neighbor said it was true. i will guarantee they will not put 2&2 together. wink

4. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 5 years ago

That's the beauty of it. You don't have to. I thought this was about prophecies and if we should fear the unknown. Math just underlies it all and backs up God, regardless of what you have been taught. Don't fear the unknown, for you will die from the fear of it. Live life like each day is the first and the last day of your life. There's more to the Mayan calendar that many don't realize. It is, after all, native american. 12-21-12 is just another day.

5. fpherj48 profile image77
      fpherj48posted 5 years ago

I can't imagine anything more pitiful than being fearful of an "unknown." My life is more valuable to me than time spent stressed out and anxiety-ridden due to anything that is quite obviously beyond human control....which would include, for each and every one of us, our eventual demise.  Predictions, mathematical formulas, preachers of impending doom, speculations & superstitions.....ALL, a complete & foolish waste of "life" with all it's splendor and gifts at our feet.  Que sera, sera.  In the meantime, I choose to be happy, productive, loving and at peace.........

6. Lindy's World profile image81
      Lindy's Worldposted 5 years ago

If it is going to happen What in the heck can I do to stop.  I just live my life to the fullest, love to the fullest and trust in God.  Also, doesn't it say in the bible that no man will know when the end will come.

7. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago

As an elder now, I can say that if I die this year, I die.

I will be really saddened if the rest of humanity including all the young ones die this year too.

When I say I will be saddened, I don't really mean that, because when I am dead, I can't be saddened by anything, can I?

Read my lips: IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

Not this year, but I have bad feeling about 2013...

1. Randy Godwin profile image93
        Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Don't tell everyone that nothings going to happen on 12-21-12 IzzY!  They won't read my hub about having an end of the world party!  mad

2. Castlepaloma profile image24
        Castlepalomaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I hope they will sell me their land very cheap, before they leave earth.

8. profile image60
      Brianna Stuartposted 5 years ago

Its a hoax. Don't believe everything you hear. Use your head.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No really? A hoax? Have you got a link to prove this?

1. profile image60
          Brianna Stuartposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Links? You cant trust the Internet to answer this question. Its not that simple.

1. profile image60
            Brianna Stuartposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Reading revelations may help smile

9. lone77star profile image90
      lone77starposted 5 years ago

The Mayans never said the world would end and certainly didn't say it would end at the end of this current age. It's like the odometer in your car when it rolls over from 99,999.99 to 100,000.00 miles. What happens? Nothing!

December 21, 2012 will likely be like most any other day. Some terrorist might decide to do something that day just to make a name for themselves, but other than that, smooth sailing all the way.

Now, biblically speaking, we seem to be in the "end" times, but again that would likely be the end of an age, but also the beginning of a new one.

Revelations talks of many things happening. Some of them already have.

They depend upon the nation of Israel, so, that one we can check off as of 1949. Revelation also talked about a great star named "wormwood" spreading a pestilence across 1/3 of the world. It seems that happened in 1986 at a place called Chernobyl (Ukrainian for "wormwood"). A star is a nuclear reactor and so was Chernobyl. A star uses light elements, while Chernobyl used "great" or heavy elements.

And it looks like the Rockefellers were behind 9/11. Apparently Nick Rockefeller told the late Aaron Russo that something big was going to happen which would allow the US to take over Iraq and Afghanistan. This was a short while before 9/11. But the same Mr. R. delighted in the idea of having us all microchipped--something we would need to partake in any commerce. Revelation talked about this, too -- the "mark of the beast."

The beast? The "pushers" of greed -- bankers like the Rothschilds and their buddies in America.

That's what has me uneasy. The super-rich want to decrease the excess population of Earth by about 6.5 billion people... down to a tidy 550 million. That makes Attila the Hun and Genghis Khan look like kindergartners. So they waste a few billion microchips. So what? All for the New World Order!... and the ultimate separation of classes.

But who knows when that's going to blow apart! The totalitarian state of America is gradually tightening its grip until voting power will mean nothing anymore. Each carefully planned restriction is a so-called "solution" to a carefully planned and fabricated problem. 9/11 gave the super-rich two things: a tighter grip (Patriot Act) and more money: Haliburton, et al in Iraq and Afghanistan. Blaming it on Osama bin Laden was a cinch. Even though bin Laden denied having anything to do with it, I'm sure they would've had no problem finding a look-alike to recant that denial on video. The real Osama may have died long before the so-called Osama strike last year.

Gotta hand it to those guys, though. The Rothschilds and Rockefellers certainly are clever.

1. pedrog profile image61
        pedrogposted 5 years ago in reply to this

They even donate millions to cover their intents:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_D._Ro … ilanthropy

Those bastards...

2. profile image0
        jomineposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Man you surely are hilarious!!
        Business people want to reduce population!! With out population who is going to choke up all those things which their business produces?

10. GoGreenTips profile image60
      GoGreenTipsposted 5 years ago

It's an interesting theory, but the Mayans I believe predicted that we would be entering a new age, not the end of the world. Perhaps we'll enter into a more positive and productive age? Maybe the Mayans just ran out of space on their calendar?

1. profile image69
        logic,commonsenseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think you are right.  We will be entering in a more positive and productive age when Obama is turned out of office. smile

11. davidkaluge profile image74
      davidkalugeposted 5 years ago

There is no need to be afraid, if the world ends people can rest and have peace. But this is not the first time we hear such things. I think the world may not really end but if something happens that day or this year, it won't be exactly like people expect.

12. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

Am I afraid of December 21, 2012?  Only that my combo Winter Solstice-Christmas party might be a flop.

1. Castlepaloma profile image24

All I can say is just two simple words for all the people who fear the ....

END OF THE WORLD

Stop it

I mean

STOP IT!!!

Your frighten people for no good reason for the 400th time

13. manlypoetryman profile image68
      manlypoetrymanposted 5 years ago

Conversation with Mayan Head Science Council...umpteen years ago:

Council:"Baluga...Why you stopped calendar date on December 21, 2012?"

Baluga: "We taking our long-term stone tablet out of production...Not Good Seller...Want to go with new Paper calendars that we can make new each year. Better sales that way."

Now modern thinkers..."Oh My God...They stopped the calendar on December 12, 2012!" hmm

Haha. but I doubt it.  I believe it was in the stars the whole time. So that magazine editor was never needed.  Back then someone did not forget that it's bigger than us.  Funny tho. I did get a laugh.

14. Richard Craig profile image73
      Richard Craigposted 5 years ago

I seriously doubt the world is going to end. Maybe someones Christmas  will be ruined but that's about it, lol

Even if it does happen, I'm ready for the apocalypse.  I have plenty of experience with games like Resident Evil for when you all mutate and try to eat me alive. big_smile

You mean Satan is not coming again???

Please somebody,! eat me first.

2. profile image0

Everyone is going to be severely disappointed in the gaming/movie industries when the zombie apocalypse comes and they learn that shooting zombies in the face doesn't stop them!

You stock up on guns, I'll keep stocking up on powdered seahorse(they hate that stuff).

Can't you stop Zombies with tons of love,

Or

Could it depends if your all loving God, allows it.

1. profile image0

Don't you know Castlepaloma?

Jesus is a zombie, and everyone will be too when they are resurrected. Unfortunately, they will be immortal, so guns don't work.

You need essence of seahorse... I'm told it's very reliable. Love won't work, clearly, as all zombies will be wonderfully loving creatures.

Will seahorses work on Factory working zombies,? love for my job works for me

15. Kangaroo_Jase profile image82
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 5 years ago

All I know is letting the South American countries that are part of the former Mayan culture know that it is Happy New Mellenium, come the 22nd December 2012.

I live in Belize for most winters now and really like the Mayan culture there. Mayan's say the calendar just runs out, only met a few drunk down there that thought it meant the End of the world and they probably get that from Christian visiting tourist

16. Dale Hyde profile image87
      Dale Hydeposted 5 years ago

The end times have been predicted many times throughout history and have never happened yet, no matter the prophet, prophecy or prediction. I say no worries, just get up and go to work and have another blessed day. For us Pagans, we will be celebrating the Winter Solstice on that day. smile

17. Jean Bakula profile image94
      Jean Bakulaposted 5 years ago

The Aztec calender is complex. Maybe they just finally ran out of room. You know how we put up a new calender every January? Some groups hope it will signify a time of greater cooperation and spirituality between all peoples. One can only hope.

18. Janet21 profile image61
      Janet21posted 5 years ago

December 21st is my birthday, so let's hope the world doesn't end before I get to have birthday cake and open my presents. wink

Mine is on the 19th, my presents were always under the tree.  I want to kiss every friend and familymenber on X mass , not my own a** good bye

working