jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)

Atheists in America

1. secularist10 profile image88
    secularist10posted 5 years ago

Financial Times article today on atheists in the US, discrimination, stereotyping and all that good stuff. I'm a creature of the liberal coasts so I've never dealt with these things very much personally. Although even here clear preference is given to theism. From the article:

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/d2239780 … z1lQfYw2Di

An atheist British immigrant to Kentucky:

“I’ve been told things like ‘I hope you have an accident, die and go to hell.’ So that’s what I’ve been up against.”
    Friends have rejected him. “I used to be a good running friend with somebody who doesn’t live far from here. I mentioned on one occasion that I was an atheist and I’ve never seen him again... I came here knowing this was the Bible Belt, but I didn’t realise it was a more like a totalitarian Christian society: you’re either one of them or you’re not and there’s no in between. So I’ve learnt this lesson, to keep it to myself as much as possible.”

And a former crack addict in Alabama:

"What is astonishing is that she can be pretty much anything else. “Being on crack, that was OK. As long as I believed in God, I was OK.” So, for example, “I’m not allowed to babysit. I have all these cousins who need babysitters but they’re afraid I’ll teach them about evolution, and I probably would.” I couldn’t quite believe this. She couldn’t babysit as an atheist, but she could when she was on crack? 'Yes.'"

1. emmaspeaks profile image92
      emmaspeaksposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I find it absolutely fascinating that according to Christian dogma, serial killers, rapists, and murderers can get into heaven by simply asking for forgiveness before they die, but an atheist, who is not a rapist, serial killer, or murderer, and has led a perfectly moral life, is doomed. I actually have Christian friends that tell me this every day. Sigh.

1. secularist10 profile image88
        secularist10posted 5 years ago in reply to this

It is indeed quite odd. This moral ambiguity and flexibility is probably one of the great strengths of Christianity, ironically. Certainly not an intellectual strength or logical one, but a major reason for its growth and domination in the world.

When there is war to be done or outsiders to be persecuted, the violent, intolerant and scary portions of the Bible can be employed, and suddenly God is on the side of the aggressors. And when people are interested in peace and community spirit, they can cite the "love of God," the sacrifice of Jesus and whatnot.

It's actually pretty ingenious when you think about it.

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Both sides get picked on a lot these days...

3. paradigmsearch profile image90

Just wear one of these.
    http://data.whicdn.com/images/14425064/168449829v3_480x480_Front_large.jpg
    They'll be so confused that they will leave you alone. big_smile

1. aguasilver profile image88
      aguasilverposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Love it, it is irony at it's best. smile

4. paradigmsearch profile image90

Another of my favorites.
    http://www.yourfunnystuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/if-you-could-reason-with-religious-people.jpg

Yep, you can see the peace and tranquillity in his eyes and general facial posture, but then Hugh is an actor, and a good one who managed to be the highest paid actor in soaps, despite being a Brit (well Scot actually).

A thoroughly nice chap, who says the lines he is given.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Peace?  You're a better man than I if you see peace in that picture! haha oh I mean a better person, since I'm not a man.  LOL.
        I'm just funnin' aguasilver.   I love House!  He's kinda like the rebel ya always wanna knock some common sense into, but can't, and so have to respect his skill no matter what.   
        Makes me wanna google Hugh Laurie and see if he's entirely different from House....

1. A Troubled Man profile image60
          A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Watch the Blackadder series if you want to see Laurie in a completely different role. He isn't in the first series and only shows up briefly in the second, but becomes a regular in the third and fourth.

1. profile image0

Thanks.  Dunno if I can get that series or not...
            I was referring to Laurie personally, whether or not he himself has a personality and/or views similar to House's or what.

He is a charming man....

Although Laurie was brought up in the Presbyterian church as a child, he has declared: "I don't believe in God, but I have this idea that if there were a God, or destiny of some kind looking down on us, that if he saw you taking anything for granted he'd take it away."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Laurie

1. profile image0

Thanks.  Seems he has some leanings toward Christianity but doesn't follow through on 'em.
                Plays the piano in real life, plus several other instruments.  I remember he played piano sometimes on House and I wondered if he played in real life.

If you ever saw Brit TV he was always on with Stephen Fry and playing piano, they used to do a sort of 'Flanders and Swan' sketch.

Here is a Blackadder to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09ZDCYbf6S8

1. A Troubled Man profile image60
                    A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It's nice to see other Blackadder fans who appreciate the humor. smile

2. profile image0

That one was funny.  Thanks. smile
                    I've seen one of the other actors play "Mr. Bean" somewhere.  Just hadn't seen Hugh Laurie in a humorous goofy role like that.  Very different role from House..
                    He's definitely good with accents too.

5. paradigmsearch profile image90

This hopefully concludes my religion quota for the day. big_smile

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Although, there don't seem to be any other kinds of threads to post on around here...lol

6. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 5 years ago

I love the House quote Paradigm!

working