jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (43 posts)

Stop plagiarizing the bible and write something original

1. mischeviousme profile image60
    mischeviousmeposted 5 years ago

It seems that many people in this forum cannot write anything original, so they write long winded threads using nothing but verses from the bible. Can you not think for yourself or is the bible the only education you have?

1. sofs profile image87
      sofsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What amuses me is the preoccupation with the Bible for both those who love it and those who hate it ... I believe it is a strategy to become the most active hubber on these threads.. or have I missed something yikes

mischeviousmeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It has nothing to do with activity or hate, quite the opposite really. I don't hate the bible or Christians, I just think that useless, redundant language leaves nothing to originallity. If it said in the bible that God wanted robots, we'd all have been thinking redundantly to begin with and nothing we said would ever be original.

2. profile image0
      ecoethicalveganposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean that Hubbers that have a view relative to the bible are quoting bible verses in an OTT way, or do you mean that generally speaking Hubbers aren't employing any creative content in their Hubs? because there are plenty of Hubs in the latter.

I'll say it again... One should be able to speak from their own mind, repeating something makes one seem... mechanical. Like a computer, only repeating data, not being original. Data in, data out but nothing original, just redundant, constant repetition.

2. mischeviousme profile image60

I wasn't talking about the hubs, I was talking about, in the forums. These insanely long threads with very little personal opinion.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It goes into hubs, too - how many threads have we seen where someone quotes large portions of the bible, gets hit with a "duplicate" tag and then complains that they can't write about the bible without making 90% of the hub direct  quotations?

Everything I write comes from me, I very rarely use another's material unless I'm adding an outside opinion. I think we should be able to speak our own minds, not repeating unless it's totally necessary. If one can speak from an individual point of view and very little through the words of others, then they are having a true conversation.

This is not a book club, but they do have a books and litterature forum.

1. profile image0
              ecoethicalveganposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with your sentiments, when I see those kinds of 'overly quoted' posts/responses I tend not to read them, I'd rather more 'gray matter' was employed.

Wear these clothes, act this way, think this way but rarely for yourself. Is this what they taught? I would hardly think so.

3. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Try picking up the Bible and reading it for yourself rather than criticizing others for referring to it. You might just learn something.

1. jonnycomelately profile image85
        jonnycomelatelyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Even if he did, Dave, do you think his perception of what is written there would be just the same as yours?  Or would you insist that he listen to your interpretation "guided by God," otherwise stand condemned as a heretic?

4. wbfree profile image61
      wbfreeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ha ha ha! I just have to laugh at this kind of stuff. God haters will NEVER stop God nor His words (the Bible) from being repeated and spread all over the earth. It's not plagiarizing. God intended for and commanded that His words to be repeated and spead throughout the earth. Nobody is going to stop it from doing so.

For centuries and thousands of years God haters have tried to stop God's words. Countless haters tried and failed. They died and their bodies are rotting in their graves, but the words of God keep on going on and on. Ha ha ha.

Whine, get mad, huff, stamp the feet, ridicule, organize groups against it, or whatever, but Bible scripture will continue on forever. 

That being said, nobody is forcing anyone else to read the words of God. Nobody is forcing anyone else to read a believer's hubs filled with Bible verses. It's quite simple actually. Those who don't like them don't have to read them. Just move on. They should just go about their own business and stay out of God's because they are going to fail like the others who came against it.

"Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever." Psalm 119:160 King James Bible
      http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h386/amylynn075/bible-7.jpg

I don't ever recall saying I hate God, that's your assumption. I don't hate God, I just think that the church has you by the brain and therefor you're unable to fully think for yourself. I used to be a bible thumper, I just found a higher truth for myself and it didn't involve any form of piety. I'm willing to admit that I know nothing and that my God is my God. How is your mental health? Modest much?

2. jonnycomelately profile image85

wbfree, we know nothing about you, your profile is not written.  So, we can only address what you write, is that ok?  Is that how you planned it?  Anonymous?

"God intended for and commanded that His words to be repeated and spead throughout the earth."  Humans determined this. 
        "Nobody is going to stop it from doing so."  Not in so many words, sure, but when "god-fearing" people build up fancy stories so as to create fear and anxiety that "without believing what we say," you are condemned to hell, that is as good as forcing conformity. 

Leave others to continue on their lives as they see fit.  Don't poke your nose into other people's business.  Believe for your self, ok.  You cannot speak for others.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago

All I needed was a flimsy excuse to post this...

so thanks my friend!

Er, the excuse is - I'm thinking for myself.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6191576_f248.jpg

I'm not trying to be a jerk... But didn't Jesus also say to avoid useless language? Writing bible verses is hardly being original and at one point or another, is as useless as repeating the same phrase over and over. If one cannot write or speak without their own toungue and mind, why write or speak at all?

2. jacharless profile image81
      jacharlessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

lol LMBO ! Brilliant.

3. profile image61
    gina80sposted 5 years ago

we shared the WORD of GOD and it`s not a matter of originality,and talking about originality?it is GOD who is only Original here and Perfect..we Human are helpless with Gods Lovings Guidance and we can only found that in the Bible.
    only atheist and unbeliever and satan and his followers hated to hear the words from The BIBLE.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Actually it is, that is the point of this thread!

This is a writer's site, yet you seem to have difficulty putting a sentence together.

Whatever! Do you think you have to join Hubpages, a writers' site, to express this?

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Question answered, succinctly. lol

3. jonnycomelately profile image85

Oh! My Gawd!

Each to their own, I suppose.  Must be humble when I get frustrated.

Don't get frustrated, Satan will know what to do.

4. mischeviousme profile image60
    mischeviousmeposted 5 years ago

One should be as the fingerprint; original.

5. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image81
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 5 years ago

I’m surprised you even spelled plagiarizing correctly, mischieviousme. In that on your profile you tell us you are an archiologist, among other things. Incidentally, my foot really hurts. The arch part.

Oh, I don’t think quoting the Bible is plagiarism. You would have to claim you yourself authored the words in question. And we all know God authored the Bible, although He left it to others to write down the words. So some people are quite fond of the Bible and like to quote it. Where’s the beef? I mean, it is the world’s greatest true story, ‘eh?

Your favorite book should be a dictionary, mischieviousme, so that you can correctly spell what you claim to be.

I am fully aware of the spelling errors, I'm just to lazy to change it. But I don't write from my profile, I write from my mind. Go write a hub and maybe I'll take the above comment seriously.

2. Randy Godwin profile image94
      Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Whether the book is anything but a myth or not is still under scrutiny.  Most of the novel has no basis in fact other than place names and all of the books are suspect as to the original author.  Common men penned the book. 

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

6. GoldenBird profile image60
    GoldenBirdposted 5 years ago

Originality is difficult, conformity is easier. People would rather die out of conformity, than think originally to have a life. It's how it goes. . .

You are, MC, wise enough to detach your sentiments from perfection?

Nothing is perfect, nor is the infallible plan. Even the smoothest of surfaces is marred by pits and valleys, None are perfect and none have perfect ideas.

1. GoldenBird profile image60
        GoldenBirdposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Then why do you have such interest in originality?

Because of my fingerprints, they make me unique for only I have my set pattern. I am unique and therefor, I believe my mind should be as well. I don't follow crowds, I don't wear fashionable clothing and I don't think like anyone else. I believe that if I resort to meaningless and repetitive speach, I'll be cheating myself of my unique originality.

It's morning here. . .   Perhaps it's night there. . .

It's 1am here.

The dawn would soon break. . .

7. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image81
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 5 years ago

So mischieviousme, you say you write from your mind? Then you are taking writing on a blank slate to an entirely new level.

What does writing a hub make one? Is there some sort of honorary degree conferred? Please enlighten me. I just might decide to write one if my credibility is at stake, as you infer. What about authoring a book? Is that more prestigious than authoring a hub? I'm just wondering if God authoring a book like the Bible or you authoring a hub like this one scores more points in terms of street cred.

Exactly what Bible are you claiming has been plagiarized, anyway? The Vulgate? The Septuagint? The King James?

Incidentally mischieviousme, you spelled your user name incorrectly. God is not the author of confusion. You are.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

+1

8. Disappearinghead profile image88
    Disappearingheadposted 5 years ago

Complaining that people quote from the bible is like complaining that lawyers quote from the law, or mechanics quote from the service manual, doctors quoting from "how to do brain surgery...". Heck if lawyers, mechanics and doctors only wrote original material from the inspiration of their minds, we'd all be in serious trouble.

9. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

Although I doubt if there is anything new under the sun....I completely agree. Regurgitating scripture is about as pointless as it gets.  And the person doing the regurgitating usually shows they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. I don't think they think they have to.

I used to be a holy roler, then I learned to think for myself.

2. jacharless profile image81
      jacharlessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Very correct.

The doctrine simply entertains them, encourages memorizing and repeating the text to understand life, even as they 'preach' to live The Life. I think the general reason is because they are not being taught (edified), they are being whitewashed.
      And the only thing they really have to go on is/are those lines of text. It is very B level marketing technique. The 'script'. The more 'referrals' into the building/saved, the more rewards/enlightenment they get. And if the outsider doesn't 'get it'/rejects the pitch, the justification or loss of sale is pitch someone else! Someone's gotta buy. And to top it off, most preachers are only doing what their trainers taught them, so the cycle continues. One of many reasons I bowed out of ministry years ago...

James.

If I want to fit in, I'll go to church. If I want to learn anything useful, I'll take a class or look it up online.

10. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago

I do not ever insist that anyone believe as I believe. People can make their own opinions. All I ask is to read the bible.

I've read the bible cover to cover, I just don't believe it pertains to reality in quite the way you do. The bible is a collection of seemingly unrelated stories, written years after the death of christ and edited to suit the agendas of politics.

working