jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)

Praise God for Good, But...

1. profile image0
    Chasukposted 5 years ago

Why is it acceptable to praise God for good, but not blame him for bad?

1. mischeviousme profile image58
      mischeviousmeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Because, as any good patriot, they do it out of innocence and gullibility.

2. aguasilver profile image88
      aguasilverposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This is why:

Job 2

AGAIN THERE was a day when the sons of God [the angels] came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan (the adversary and the accuser) came also among them to present himself before the Lord.

And the Lord said to Satan, From where do you come? And Satan (the adversary and the accuser) answered the Lord, From going to and fro on the earth and from walking up and down on it.

And the Lord said to Satan, Have you considered My servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, one who [reverently] fears God and abstains from and shuns all evil [because it is wrong]? And still he holds fast his integrity, although you moved Me against him to destroy him without cause.

Then Satan answered the Lord, Skin for skin! Yes, all that a man has will he give for his life.

But put forth Your hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse and renounce You to Your face.

And the Lord said to Satan, Behold, he is in your hand; only spare his life.

So Satan went forth from the presence of the Lord and smote Job with loathsome and painful sores from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head.

And he took a piece of broken pottery with which to scrape himself, and he sat [down] among the ashes.

Then his wife said to him, Do you still hold fast your blameless uprightness? Renounce God and die!

But he said to her, You speak as one of the impious and foolish women would speak. What? Shall we accept [only] good at the hand of God and shall we not accept [also] misfortune and what is of a bad nature? In [spite of] all this, Job did not sin with his lips.

Give thanks to God IN ALL THINGS and the enemy cannot get you, simple when you put it into practice, but I will admit it is difficult to understand when you don't know or trust God.

3. A Troubled Man profile image60
      A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Contradiction and hypocrisy are key elements to understanding God and his ways, without them, there would be no explanations.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

I agree. I've heard believers claim many miracles done on their behalf. They go on and on about how God wants to lavish believers with good times. It's an affluent society naivete. It doesn't take into account believers who starve, get raped or murdered, or generally live out their entire lives in squalor. And, of course, there is the argument that god visits troubles on those who need them to learn. That argument rarely holds for the believer suffering problems. Then it's 'it's satan's handiwork.'

It's easier to pass it off on something outside the self, though they saw it with their own eyes.

1. profile image0
        Chasukposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I find this behavior especially annoying when someone who thanks God for  trivial "blessings" insists than God causes no harm. The bad things are apparently our fault, the good things are God's.

Good and bad are facets of the self, we see them or refuse to acknowledge them at all. Remove an o from good and you have created a god...

2. aguasilver profile image88
          aguasilverposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You forgot the enemy, he has a hand in the bad things, albeit only under the authority of God.

1. Slarty O'Brian profile image88
            Slarty O'Brianposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Then you can blame god for that too.

Why blame chance, when you can pin it on God. Life sucks and it's a miracle, a contradiction all it's own.

working