jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (71 posts)

Is God sleeping?

1. GoldenBird profile image59
    GoldenBirdposted 5 years ago

Say anything you like, on this grave subject. . .

1. mischeviousme profile image60
      mischeviousmeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Who could ever answer a question about God?

GoldenBirdposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The God which is inside us.

My God is at constant odds with my brain, both of which are under my complete control.

1. Disappearinghead profile image86
            Disappearingheadposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If your god is under your control, then your god is surely not a god.

smile

What was that blow, sir? cool

2. mischeviousme profile image60

That's why I called it my God, because it isn't your's... Duh!

Mr god-controller!

Hey. . .I am just joking. smile

How was the day there - did dawn break?

About 2 hours ago. Now I'm just biding my time until I have to go to work...

May I ask. . .are you a teacher? Do you work in a school or college?

2. Disappearinghead profile image86

??? "My God is at constant odds with my brain, both of which are under my complete control." The keyword here is "BOTH". Thus you claim your god is under your complete control, and therefore either you are a god greater than your god, or your god is not a god. Simples.

We all envision what our God/god is; we give it attributes, a persona and any other qualities we so choose. Therefor, it is a representation of our minds and is very much under our control. My God/god, is the love I choose to share with others, all other aspects are secondary.

Interesting. . .simply interesting.

2. GoldenBird profile image59

Do you take these discussion too seriously?

1. Disappearinghead profile image86

No I just seek clarification when someone's post make no apparent sense.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
          A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Where inside of us, exactly?

2. profile image0
      ecoethicalveganposted 5 years ago in reply to this

In what sense, in the 'not doing anything' sense? or sleeping like creatures of this planet 'to rest' or both or something else?

Also who's timeframe are we using. Someone that was just born, a fifty year old's, a centenarian, coz each one has their own reasons to want/not want some 'happening' to happen.

A newborn hasn't had the chance to make choices, the fifty year old made many choices and is wondering what to think next, the centenarian is thinking she's done what she's done, so what's next? So what would/should God be doing? stepping up and doing what?

The point I'm trying to make is, it's not about God sleeping (because we'd be using a constraint that is measured by humans) it's about plans that we can't fathom, we are so far removed in some senses from God, that we just can't figure out the deal, we can't know his thinking about the way it is or will be.

So to answer your question, no, he isn't sleeping, he's connected in ways we can't fathom.

Caveat; All of the above is 'only' believable IF you are a believer in God

3. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What do you think?

2. skyfire profile image72
    skyfireposted 5 years ago

Sleep is good for health.

3. Jerami profile image78
    Jeramiposted 5 years ago

God is not sleeping; he has given the Beast 42 Months in which it can blaspheme and teach falsly.  God is waiting for the the beast and US to do as we choose untill the time has come

Soon, the 42 prophetic months will have been fulfilled.
      And every question will be answered with one single answer.

Howdy... That's the answer I just envisioned. No offense, just kidding.

1. Jerami profile image78
        Jeramiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There is one single answer which if we did not reject,  does make sense all the way through our analitical processes.

If I'd been away for the entirety of human history, I'd at least stop in every once in a while, with a warm hello. That's at least the vision I have of a loving God.

Away ?  he hasn't gone anyplace!   
            It is we who have caused a separation of time and space.

(some of us anyway)

Try saying that to the heavily indoctrinated, they know nothing but what they've been told.

After more than 800 days  of doing just that .....   I am getting weary ....

It is time for me to go lay down before I fall down.

Later maybe?

Hope so, it's nice chatting with an open minded soul, a rarity in the HP.

4. im28beyond profile image80
    im28beyondposted 5 years ago

He's not. He's just waiting for you to poke Him. Sometimes humans think they can take care of themselves but in reality, our strength is fairly limited.

5. Bard of Ely profile image88
    Bard of Elyposted 5 years ago

Not at all because God is everything and all energy and the source of it so cannot sleep!

6. profile image72
    SanXuaryposted 5 years ago

Another worthless topic posed by a troubled man. You will see God soon enough and you can ask him who is sleeping yourself.

My God is more powerful, your God is more powerful, his God is more powerful... Can you see a pattern forming?

7. profile image72

You our not arguing about God, this forum was posted by a person who does not believe in God at all. The goal is to get you to argue when their is nothing to argue at all. The question is pointless.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Perhaps the point is that for over 2000 years there have been no supernatural events that we can reasonably attribute to God.  He must be asleep or dead.  Or has given up on mankind as a lost cause.

8. profile image72

No, the point is that you have no ability to see God. We are all tested in our faith and our ability to see God and how he influences are lives. No faith equals no ability to see God, is it any wonder. When you equate Earthly examples to faith you have nothing to provide to others. All great emperors in the Bible had all Earthly things and were only convinced of Godly things they were lacking in order to know that something in Heaven was going on.

I daresay that you don't have that ability, either.  If you did you could point Him out to me, or at least tell me where to go to see Him.  Not a river or a tree, mind you, not events or items that you mistakenly attribute to this mythological creature, but God in all his glory.

1. profile image0

Five hundred years from now, Sarah will find a photo of your child 'James'.

Anthony will say, that photo doesn't prove anyone gave birth to that child, that child has no parents. Sarah will say, well that's how humans procreate so someone definitely gave birth to the child, Anthony will say prove to me WHO gave birth to this child and I'll believe you. Sarah said, I can't. Anthony will then say,  'James' has never existed.

So James doesn't exist, yet, apparently he does.

So God doesn't exist, yet, he apparently does.

Scripture tells us what God is doing.

He has given  "ThA Beast"  center stage for a period of forty two (Prophetic) Months to Blaspheme.
            During this time, God sends his two witnesses in his defense.

2. wilderness profile image94

Sounds like a Christian argument against evolution.  False logic from start to finish - anything to "prove" a point that ends up not proven at all.

One can never put it into words. It's a feeling intended for the one experiencing such a perception, as it is an internal aspect.

2. profile image0

You have to do better with a rebuttal. Saying "False logic from start to finish - anything to "prove" a point that ends up not proven at all." is void of any breakdown and constructive criticism, it's like saying 'nothing'

So my argument stands, thanx!

3. A Troubled Man profile image59

So, you've got a photo of God? Can you share it with us, please?

1. profile image0

Oh you need a picture from me because I used that in my analogy?

The picture was a way of showing that without seeing someone in a corporeal sense, we can know that someone can still exist, is that not true?

For instance do I/you need a photo of the watchmaker to know that the watch didn't 'just' happen? do I/you need a photo of mans ascent from apes or can you show me irrefutable proof every evolutionarily 'micro or macro' step of the way to have 'faith' in atheism. How about the Cambrian explosion, can you fill in the chasm so that I can drop my belief in ID and side with something (atheism) and feel I finally have the unshakable positive empirical proof that we are the result of zip zap and here we are?

Give me your proof and I'll give you mine, lacking that (your proof,) tell me you are now agnostic.

"The picture was a way of showing that without seeing someone in a corporeal sense, we can know that someone can still exist, is that not true?"

No, that is not true.  However, you can collect evidence supporting the belief that someone exists.  Enough evidence will result in a virtually certainty of their existence without actually seeing (touching, smelling, etc.) them.

In the case of the evolutionary steps, the evidence is overwhelming in quantity and is to the point that a reasonable person does not require more to accept it as truth.

In the case of ID there is absolutely no evidence - zero - and thus a reasonable person (requiring evidence for belief) will accept that the probability of that concept is minute to nonexistent.  To have the belief anyway is OK - to each their own - but to promote it as factual truth is a falsehood.

1. profile image0

The first paragraph, is your opinion, so it's not proof.

The second paragraph, (except for the first five words) I agree with.

The third paragraph, no problem.

The final paragraph, is not supported by any evidence by you, so I exhort you to supply proof, so I can become an atheist.

Take your time smile

The first paragraph is a copy/paste from your post.  It was added as an indication of what my post was to be about, and is not my opinion at all.

The first five words of the second paragraph indicate that the copy/pasted sentence is not true, and it isn't.  Anything out of your immediate five senses may or may not exist at that point in time.  Technically, even the star you might be looking at may not exist, having been destroyed hundreds or thousands of years ago.

Final paragraph - what would you suggest as evidence that there is no evidence?  A list of every printed word ever made, with discussion about each statement?  Far easier that you provide evidence (not proof) that ID is a high probability concept and we can discuss your evidence.  Or do you deny that presenting belief without evidence as factual truth is a falsehood?

1. profile image0

I see no empirical evidence from you that God is incapable of 'being' and your response was also void of any empirically peer reviewed facts concerning the theory of evolution as the 'sole' catalyst for life on earth and the existence of the universe and it's formation.

How about an analogy, maybe you can start there?

Or do you deny that presenting belief without evidence as factual truth is a falsehood?

Lacking any evidence from you, I feel you should  at least consider being agnostic, even if you weren't confident of ID as viable. Where is the evidence, the printed words you speak of? I'd luv to review them, thanks smile

2. A Troubled Man profile image59

The picture represents evidence to the persons existence, hence I asked you to provide the same evidence for your God.

Evidence (not proof) is readily available for evolution, the Cambrian era and watchmakers. If you say it isn't, you would be lying.

So, show me your God, or at the very least, some evidence?

9. JBBlack profile image60
    JBBlackposted 5 years ago

I had a friend about a decade or so ago that used to discuss these things with me.  His suggestion is that time for God was not measured the same as for us.  Let's say God sleeps for a thousand years, or thousands of years.  Or is in a state of inactivity as far as creation goes.  Maybe God is finally taking his sabbath.  My friend would turn to me full of awe and say, "on the seventh day . . . he rested."

10. profile image72

I must point him out, am I God? The Devil cares nothing about the people he owns and only convinces the believer that he exists. When I found God I found the devil convincing me that the World is mostly made by people like you. Before it was only normal people destroying people and now I want nothing to do with you. I try not to hate but eventually you only convince me why I must. Its easy to hate when you no longer see a person but an abomination of what we were meant to be, Hell will be a sewer filled by filth and decay and a place I will never visit except to remind me of why I never wanted to be like you.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59

lol Are you feeling the Christian love, Wilderness?

11. MichaelGallinger profile image59
    MichaelGallingerposted 5 years ago

God, what God?

12. Joy56 profile image60
    Joy56posted 5 years ago

resting it is the figurative  seventh day

1. MichaelGallinger profile image59
      MichaelGallingerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

so it took him 6 days to make the universe and this is just 'one' day for god? is it too long wink

1. JBBlack profile image60
        JBBlackposted 5 years ago in reply to this

An amusing thought, like reincarnation.  More fun to have an imagination and play with ideas than to be crazy fundamental on either side, which yes, does make alot of you seem kinda crazy.

working