jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

What Percentage of Christians are divorced?

1. Disappearinghead profile image89
    Disappearingheadposted 4 years ago

I was challenged to ask the question, I took the bait, and thought why not.

Well Google is our friend:

In America:
    "The Barna Group found in its latest study that born again Christians who are not evangelical were indistinguishable from the national average on the matter of divorce with 33 percent having married and divorced at least once. Among all born again Christians, which includes evangelicals, the divorce figure is 32 percent, which is statistically identical to the 33 percent figure among non-born again adults, the research group noted."
    http://www.christianpost.com/news/study … age-31815/

In the UK:
    Divorce statistics are sometimes a shock for Christians. The average divorce rate for born-again type Christians (27%) and others (24%) are both higher than that for atheism, which is 21%. Empirically, atheists are more devoted to each other and commit to more stable relationship patterns than theists, yet the theists are the ones who say they stand for family values. ..... Seriously though, perhaps it is that atheists only get married if they're sure, while Christians feel pressurized so sometimes marry prematurely in relationships that aren't permanent. Christian culture can exert unnatural pressure on relationships

So it kind of depends on whose figures we are looking at.

1. 0
      Emile Rposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think you're probably right about the pressure. I know a lot of Christians that end up in shot gun style weddings. I couldn't name one born again that wasn't pregnant before she walked down the aisle.

Disappearingheadposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The pressure comes from many directions in the Church; family and social circles. Christians also have the same raging hormones as everyone else, and resistance against sex is often futile. The desire to have sex or because sex has occurred (the Church teaches that sex constitutes a marriage in God's eyes) forms a huge pressure to get married. If all these pressures occur when the couple are rather young, then we should not be surprised if the marriages don't work out s expected as they grow up.

2. DoubleScorpion profile image86
    DoubleScorpionposted 4 years ago

Seems there is a high rate of sexual infidelity, seeing as the bible say this is the only reason for divorce...and re-marriage without commiting adultery.

Disappearingheadposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes that would be the case if they were living by Jesus' teaching. I expect that infidelity constitutes only a proportion of the reasons of divorce, the other reasons being excused or swept under the carpet. Ive heard pastors say that Paul also included wilfull  desertion as a valid reason, which can be interpreted any way one wants.