jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)

The Alien race that called themselves God.

1. RKHenry profile image79
    RKHenryposted 4 years ago

What if you found out that God, was actually an alien race and that the name God itself was just their name.  Like people living on earth might be called earthlings... 

I am curious about how religious people would react to finding out that god does exist, but not just as he is imagine.  Would you abandon your faith?  If so why?

1. paradigmsearch profile image91
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The probability of this is not zero.

In fact, we are an experiment. Fellow Lab Rats Unite!

1. TLMinut profile image61
        TLMinutposted 4 years ago in reply to this

My dad thinks we're a harvest like a crop to feed aliens so maybe he's seen the same movie you have! LOL!

I'm more into thinking we're a science experiment that Jesus has to turn in to his homeschooling dad at the end of the term...

2. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Nah.  I already saw that in a movie, or something similar.  I think it was an old episode of Star Trek.  Fantasy doesn't inspire me to lose my Faith.

RKHenryposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Not star trek, got the idea from the movie the fourth kind.  The alien called himself god.

1. Shadesbreath profile image90
          Shadesbreathposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The concept has been being kicked around for centuries, actually. The Enlightenment blew out religion for the deep thinkers in a way that hadn't happened since the Greeks unraveled their religion a few thousand years back. (For example, most of the Founding Fathers in America were holding their noses using "God" in the founding documents, and they went out of their way not to mention Christianity at all. Epicureans and Deists in all the most brilliant spots).

The more science can explain, the harder it is for charlatans and posers to make some shiny lights go off and convince unquestioning masses that they can have access to God... for a price and supplication. Etc.

Doesn't remove the possibility of God, just keeps blowing out the popular story collections... albeit slowly and, sadly, often with lots of war, misery and death.

Scientology and even the Mormon faith show how hard modernity is trying to make a new religion that fits with the new learning of the modern world, but I suspect both are too closely connected with their predecessors--and too well documented in their man-made origins given the nature of communication since Gutenberg--to stick. Someone needs to pull off the epic "Aliens land on the White House Lawn" trick and then do the new religion out of that. Someone WILL do that, it's just a matter of how and who.

Then we will all see it on TV and we'll all be happy because we'll have the new answer to everything and we can start converting the dipsh!ts who don't get it with our newfound "certainty" of how it all works.

1. mischeviousme profile image60
            mischeviousmeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

People are nuts, all of us, with various conditios and attitudes, thoughts and intents

2. RKHenry profile image79

Hey Shades!

I thought the Mormon faith was started by the belief that an alien came down from space and provided Joseph Smith with the
            golden book, which is what the book of Mormon is dictated/translated from.  I can't remember the alien's name though...

3. Repairguy47 profile image61
      Repairguy47posted 4 years ago in reply to this

If God turned out to be a three headed snake with bad breath I would still love him, its the message, not the package its wrapped in.

4. A Troubled Man profile image61
      A Troubled Manposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Facts don't appear to sway believers, no matter what.

2. TheMagician profile image90
    TheMagicianposted 4 years ago

That'd be pretty crazy! Haha.
    Abandon my faith? Hmm. I don't know, there's still so many questions unanswered. But that'd be a pretty intense event.

I guess it would be for you all.

3. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

I don't know, I often feel like I'm visiting an alien planet here on earth.
    How can the human race have so many different beliefs?
    Maybe we live amongst aliens.. maybe we are aliens. lol

4. skyfire profile image74
    skyfireposted 4 years ago

Panspermia is more believable compared to bible. It is the concept used in many movies like - journey to planet mars, prometheus and many other.

What I find interesting is that, believers will still love their gods even if they're chosen as a sacrificial goat just like they showed it in movie - Alien vs Predator. So if some random alien tricked Christians  by dressing himself like jesus and lured them to some sacrificial area, they'll happily do it in the name of faith. wink

Yeah, that's pretty much how I see it too.

5. donotfear profile image91
    donotfearposted 4 years ago

When I first read the post, I thought you were talking about Mormonism.

My bad.